Songs that should or shouldn't be live staples?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scorpionac

War Child
I've seen this thread pop up before, but let's play again.

What songs currently not staples do you think should become staples at U2's live shows? And what songs currently staples do you think shouldn't be staples?

Me, I'd like to see "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" become a staple. It was attached to a Batman movie and on the '90s Best Of, so people know it. And even if they don't, it's got a monster riff. It's one of U2's best songs and I'd like to see it get its due.

As for staples that should be retired - I'll say "Elevation" and "City of Blinding Lights." The former is definitely fun and the latter is uplifting, but U2 has far better tracks in both those veins. Sure, let's hear the big tracks from ATYCLB and HTDAAB - "Beautiful Day" (uplifting) and "Vertigo" (fun) - but those second-fiddle singles from the '00s don't need to take up setlist space.

Should - In God's Country - Quick song High Energy. Even Better than the Real Thing - love that they brought it back, U2 at creative zenith and doesn't strain Bono's voice. Mofo - Live stand-out from POP (way better than album version) not a strain on Bono.

Retire - Walk On bores me now. IALW is worthy of a piss break. ISHFWILF is too slow live for my tastes, the studio version flows with passion. I Will Follow.

Should be dropped:

Mysterious Ways (dead song in the 360 tour)
ISHFWILF (on the 360 tour had new life thanks to Larry switching from the hihats o a tambourine, but still... I can't get enough of the Zoo Tv versions, though)
COBL, Beautiful Day, Walk on and Elevation (give them a rest)
IALW (please, go away and never return)

Should come back:

Discotheque (everyone knows it)
The Sweatest Thing (with Bono on piano, it never had a real chance in the Elevation tour and everyone knows it)
Tryin' to throw your Arms Around the World (dedicate it to Bono, specially with the "like a fish needs a bycicle" line... is actually a fun song)
Get On Your Boots (don't let it go away, never! :hyper: )

Should: Even Better Than The Real Thing, Discotheque, Running To Stand Still, Kite, Bad.

Shouldn't: City Of Blinding Lights, Elevation, One, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Until The End Of The World.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

They shouldn't retire anything, just not play the staples at every show. Imagine U2 never playing those great songs again. It would be a travesty. They're staples for a reason. I'm only referring to the 80s and 90s ones though. Vertigo and Elevation should never be played again because they're awful. But a lot of people have terrible taste and enjoy those songs, so they have a place ;)

But Bullet wasn't played on the last tour. It should be played sometimes, shouldn't it?

What are the staples?

I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
Streets
ISHFWILF
WOWY
Bullet
One
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
COBL

They could play three or four a night depending on how they feel. That would keep them fresh. Bad used to be a staple, but now it's only brought out on occasion, and that's great.

I agree with the OP about the "second-fiddle" singles from the 00s. Elevation, Walk On and COBL almost get an audible groan out of me when I hear the opening notes. Send them to the retirement home and board the fucking place up. HMTMKMKM is an absolute monster, it was a highlight on PopMart and 360. I can't imagine it getting old anytime soon. Add The Fly and Bullet each night and you have the foundations of a great tour already.

But Bullet wasn't played on the last tour. It should be played sometimes, shouldn't it?

What are the staples?

I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
Streets
ISHFWILF
WOWY
Bullet
One
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
COBL

They could play three or four a night depending on how they feel. That would keep them fresh. Bad used to be a staple, but now it's only brought out on occasion, and that's great.

I've been to 11 shows the past two tours, and IWF and NYD weren't played that often. And very surprisingly, out of those 11 shows, I've only seen Mysterious Ways once. When we stopped to look at the songs we'd seen and realized that one show last tour was a first for MW, I could hardly believe it, it seems much more common than that. I guess it's maybe because I watch/listen to a ton of bootlegs, and so I'd just imagined I'd seen it a ton??

The rest though, I personally agree. That said though, I go to concerts for artists for whom I'm not a giant fan and do like to hear their hits (it's not like I sit there and think "oh noes, they're playing X hit, their fanbase must be sick of this"...I'm enjoying it!), and so I can understand non-obsessives wanting to see these songs.

Staple: ASOH, One Tree Hill, Gloria, Please, AIWIY

Unstaple: Elevation, Vertigo, ISHFWILF/Stuck/IALW (pick one but not all three)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom