Songs that don't got better live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hasin73

Refugee
Usually U2's songs get better from studio version during live. But sometimes

it doesn't. Example: Miracle Drug. What other songs in your opinion did not

improve during Live?

I think Miracle Drug sounded a bit better live, but Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own was not too powerful live.

I think Pride never got that energy and enthusiasm as on The Unforgettable Fire. There are some great guitar parts in there that Edge never played live.
I think much of the disappointment that came with The Bomb is that many of the songs simply didn't work live (Miracle Drug, All Because of You, Original of the Species most of the time).
Can't think of any other right now, but really, 95% of their songs is much better live.

Pride and New Years Day always seemed to sound bland to me live, like nothing has changed from the album version. Most U2 songs have a different *something* live that these songs don't seem to have.

Pride is the glaring example. Most other songs that I think suck live, I don't find to be much better in the studio (for example, I find Miracle Drug a letdown live, but it's hardly a classic studio song either). On the other hand, the studio version of Pride is a U2 classic, and I think it's a terrible shame that 1. U2 have almost always failed to play it well live and 2. that it is bordering on overtaking I Will Follow as the band's most played live song despite how dreadful it is on stage. I largely blame Edge in the eighties and nineties, as the guitar just lacks the chiming and resonance and tone it has in the studio, and from Popmart onwards I blame Bono simply not being able to hit the chorus. On Vertigo, Edge seemed to actually get the guitar right and I'd say Pride was the best it has been since the mid-eighties. I can only name two studio performances that are superior to the studio version: 31 August 1984, Wellington and the March 1987 appearance on the Old Grey Whistle Test TV show. I also find the 30 December 1989, Dublin performance at least enjoyable, but not of the quality of the studio version.

Pretty much every other song played live that I can think of has been bettered its studio version. Well, I suppose songs like So Cruel and IGWSHA and WUDM weren't better live, but either they were never properly done in full to have a basis for comparison, or in IGWSHA's case, they had one full performance that was unremarkable and then the band hastily gave up and gave it the incomplete live treatment that So Cruel and WUDM had.

Oh, and some songs NOWADAYS are much weaker than their studio version, e.g. WOWY and SBS, but in their prime were absolute U2 live classics. Very little can top WOWY 1987-1992, or the Fuck The Revolution performance of SBS. But WOWY never should have been played since 1993. It's so lacklustre now, especially when Bono doesn't add Shine Like Stars.

Pride is the glaring example. Oh, and some songs NOWADAYS are much weaker than their studio version, e.g. WOWY and SBS, but in their prime were absolute U2 live classics. Very little can top WOWY 1987-1992, or the Fuck The Revolution performance of SBS. But WOWY never should have been played since 1993. It's so lacklustre now, especially when Bono doesn't add Shine Like Stars.

:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

Not counting short-lived songs like IGWSHA or DYFL :

Pride
Desire
One
OOTS
Kite (pre-Vertigo tour)

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Pride
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

I always thought the studio version of New York was better than the live version, but I may be in the minority.

I disagree with Until the end of the world. For me, it's one of the defining live tracks from U2. I don't think I've ever seen a bad live rendition of this song. It always rocks.

Yeah, the studio version's production removes all the punch from the end, while live, it rocks the fuck out.

The Unforgettable Fire...The bridge when performed live can't match the ethereal power of the synthesized studio sound.

Although "the edge orchestra" gives it an admirable try.

Pride on "Rattle and Hum" is just fantastic. For me - way better than on the record.
The Question is difficult - nearly every U2 song I like more life than on the record. Perhaps "the Fly", "Zoostation" and "Desire" I always liked a little bit more in the studio version.

Velvet Dress studio version is better than half their discography.

Others:
Stay
EBTTRT
Pride
Bullet The Blue Sky (except for ZooTV which was stellar! Other live versions are too dragging for me.)
One (studio >>>>>> live)
All I Want Is You

ETA: The Unforgettable Fire (song)... yes!!!

The Unforgettable Fire...The bridge when performed live can't match the ethereal power of the synthesized studio sound.

Although "the edge orchestra" gives it an admirable try.

I've always found the 21 March 1985, Chicago performance of UF to be quite a bit better than the studio version.

What!? The studio version sucks. I like the live version of it. (POP MART... Hasta la Vista Baby!)

The live version took away all the subtlety and sexiness of the studio version and made it into something very ordinary, I thought.

I will listen to the Vegas version to see if it's any better when I get home.

The live version took away all the subtlety and sexiness of the studio version and made it into something very ordinary, I thought.

I will listen to the Vegas version to see if it's any better when I get home.

Do you have "Hasta La Vista Baby!, Live from Mexico City"? Listen to that version. I love how it seg's in with Discoteque.... well, Discoteque/Velvet Dress. I think it's an awesome version.... better then the studio.

That's the one thing I did like about it live - the seque from Discotheque into it. That was good. But overall, I think it pales in comparison to the album. It loses its entire mood.

That's the one thing I did like about it live - the seque from Discotheque into it. That was good. But overall, I think it pales in comparison to the album. It loses its entire mood.

Mmmm... I disagree with you. The Album as we all know was not finished like they wanted to. I think that version lacks. Once they hit the road, their songs took on a better shape. This one is an example.

Back
Top Bottom