Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone REALLY believe SOA is still a thing ?

The recent post from U2 Songs seems to suggest it is...

And that they hope to have a new album done by the next time they tour. Two albums are possibilities at this point, with Bono continuing to talk about Songs of Ascent while the rest of the band seems to be looking towards other possibilities. Although even Bono seems open to doing something new, talking about a rock album recently as well.

One album being discussed would be completing the long delayed Songs of Ascent originally developed as a second half to the songs on No Line on the Horizon and later held back. The album has been mentioned a number of times over the years since, and it has been confirmed that there is still an album there, as recently as Bono’s appearance on Hozier’s “Cry Power” podcast where he said, “We have this beautiful, ecstatic album called Songs of Ascent, I don’t know if we’ll finish it soon or if it will take forever – it’s about forever – that’s its subject – Songs of Ascent are 15 psalms, they’re named after the 15 steps from the women’s chamber up to the Temple of Jerusalem. It’s an old idea. I’m obsessed with David, King David in the bible, who turns out was right bollocks, but he was kind of an interesting figure, he was brutally honest with God at all times, even about himself being a bollocks. I’d love to do that.”

Please guys, don't give us an album of rock songs and Ryan Tedder infused MOR tripe. Please god no.

Please be meditative, please be mystical, please be spiritual, please be ethereal, please be deep and meaningful, please be ambient, please be wondrous, please be transcendent, please rehire Eno, please DON'T hire Tedder, please DON'T write pop songs, please DON'T write naff lyrics full of generic platitudes, please DON'T latch on to any passing musical bandwagon, please DON'T collaborate with any cheap fad, please DON'T try to get down with the kids.

Please DON'T make elevator music and please make art again. Just please.

Please guys, don't give us an album of rock songs and Ryan Tedder infused MOR tripe. Please god no.

Please be meditative, please be mystical, please be spiritual, please be ethereal, please be deep and meaningful, please be ambient, please be wondrous, please be transcendent, please rehire Eno, please DON'T hire Tedder, please DON'T write pop songs, please DON'T write naff lyrics full of generic platitudes, please DON'T latch on to any passing musical bandwagon, please DON'T collaborate with any cheap fad, please DON'T try to get down with the kids.

Please DON'T make elevator music and please make art again. Just please.

That's exactly what I think!!

Back
Top Bottom