Songs I Wish They Would Play With The Whole Damn Band Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It didn't "work" on Elevation either.

Everything since the ZooTV version has paled in comparison.

The electric version of Wild Horses from Amsterdam on the Vertigo Tour shows how awful that song has become in its acoustic rendition.

Desire. When played full band and at full throttle, the song is a monster, definitely worthy of being played every night. Oh and even though we all like to hate on it, I also vote for Stuck. Edge's electric guitar makes the song 1000x better for me. But drop that silly background synth pop thing (which is what kinda ruins the album version, IMHO).

James

Some of you may not agree, but I think Desire needs to be played full-band, just like it was on the zooTV tour. I loved that performance

Desire, the way TheEdge25 says. ZooTv with the dirty guitar effects. Fuckin' epic shiz there.

And pretty much EVERYTHING needs to be played full band IMO. Acoustic U2 = failed neutered U2.

Anyone who prefers acoustic Desire has never heard electric Desire. It's like watching your pet get neutered in front of you every night.

All of the above!

Especially Desire and Stay.

I would love Zoo TV Desire, don't get me wrong, but I'd prefer Lovetown Desire.

Desire is fantastic full band like Zoo TV. Love the dirty flanging guitar effect and the deep bass piano that accompanies the bass in the background. The whole attitude of the song is much stronger, lots of overload, filthy, it really suited the Zoo. Bono screaming down the camera like an used car dealer/ preacher undergoing an advertising exorcism was brilliant.

Oh I totally spaced Please and I am ashamed at myself.

Seriously though, I think they should gut the entire "acoustic" set idea. If they wanted to have a few songs in the middle of the show to sort of calm down/chill out to, they could just do a full band version of Stay or Angel of Harlem or something like that. They don't have to neuter the amazing songs just to have a slower segment in the set.

That being said, I do think one of the strongest moments ever is on PopMart when Edge played Sunday Bloody Sunday acoustically by himself. That was actually really, really good.

Seriously though, I think they should gut the entire "acoustic" set idea. If they wanted to have a few songs in the middle of the show to sort of calm down/chill out to, they could just do a full band version of Stay or Angel of Harlem or something like that. They don't have to neuter the amazing songs just to have a slower segment in the set.

Totally agree. I don't like those in a stadium setting. I missed the Elevation tour, but when I watch concert DVDs from that tour, the little acoustic set is something I fast-forward through almost every time.

And on Vertigo, I was happy to get the "rocking" encore set as opposed to the acoustic, mellower one at each of the 6 shows I saw.

Totally agree. I don't like those in a stadium setting. I missed the Elevation tour, but when I watch concert DVDs from that tour, the little acoustic set is something I fast-forward through almost every time.

And on Vertigo, I was happy to get the "rocking" encore set as opposed to the acoustic, mellower one at each of the 6 shows I saw.

Seriously.

I can see why they want to do it on 360, because it's become more of a "greatest hits" tour. But why take out Larry and Adam to do a crappy version of Stuck in the middle of the set - and why on earth are they playing IALW with it!?

But I have no idea why they did it on Elevation/Vertigo. The names of those two tours basically shout "THIS IS A ROCK CONCERT". Don't know why they gutted a bunch of their best songs to have a sentimental acoustic set.

Although, I may be crying about this, but at the SLC Elevation show when they did Wild Honey>People Get Ready>Please acoustically, I thought it was really spectacular.

I like the acoustic section of the concert, it gives a different energy and a little peek into what could be a different U2, but even if I didn't like it, I understand that a U2 show can't be linear and the same from the beginning to the end, it is a rock concert, but it is not a typical rock concert or a typical rock band, they don't feel constricted by labels, thus they can play real rockers, ballads, pop hits, some acoustic and a little bit of opera sounds, that's what makes them especial for me.

Have you been to the 360 gigs? they did Stuck in the 09, and it wasn't a crappy version, you may think so because you don't like acoustic, but it was great and meaningful within the concert, in the 2010 gigs they only play the new songs acoustically, and IALW just semiacoustically, IALW is a great favourite of mine, I love the song, I think its best incarnation is the acoustic precisely, it gave the concert a really intimate feeling and prepared the atmosphere to Miss Sarajevo, you could even touch the in crescendo wave of emotion as they were playing these two songs.

I would like to listen to Stay full band again, not because I don't like the acoustic version, just because I think Stay is one of the best songs ever written, Bono says that a good song is that you can strip off all the artifice and it still works, that's Stay for me.

Yeah, I've seen 4 of the 360 shows. I'm not even one of the people who just loathe Stuck. I like the song just fine. Just didn't care for the version in this setting, or maybe at that spot in the show. I don't know. I didn't think it fit. :shrug:

On the plus side, I was happy to finally get to hear Stay in concert in Chicago, even if it was acoustic.

When I saw the thread title, I came in here to mention Please and In God's Country. Seems I'm not the only one!

AND I have this big wish to hear Running To Stand Still, not the way they played it in the Vertigo Tour, but Zoo TV style, with Edge's beautiful guitar and that pulsating rhytm :drool:

I wonder if my wish will ever come true :cute:

But don't they use the acoustic slots a lot in order to be a little spontaneous. To play some songs, which can be performed without the visuals on the screen and not having to rehearse it full band.

If they write acoustic songs for these slots, the setlists would become even more static.

The electric version of Wild Horses from Amsterdam on the Vertigo Tour shows how awful that song has become in its acoustic rendition.

Yes yes and yes!!

And Edge's solo in the Amsterdam version..I guess to some it might sound pretty typical Edge but I love it sooo much!!

I'm not big on acoustic sets. In fact, I don't like acoustic sets. I like one, maybe two acoustic songs at most.

Please acoustic on Elevation worked largely because of what was going on at the time. I definitely don't want to hear Please acoustically again.

The acoustic set worked well during the Zoo TV Tour but I think it's time has passed during the 360 Tour. The Zoo TV version of Desire was the best with the distortion and video screens and Bono preaching as the Mirror Ball Man. I wish I could have seen U2 on the Lovetown Tour and heard Angel of Harlem. One Tree Hill is another song I wish they would play full band like on The Joshua Tree Tour.

Definitey Staring at the sun! I saw that song full band at Popmart Columbus, one of the earlier shows. I remember the first verse was sung acapella with just drums, and the band kicked in during the chorus. I remember it was pretty good, but they evidently thought otherwise.

Anybody know where I can relatively easily find a full band version besides the shitty Las Vegas version?

EVERY fooking song should be played full band.....to me....ALL u2 song acoustic sound drab, uninspiring, lifeless and samey. It was fine for the Zoo Tv tour....it worked then..as a change....but its a tired old format now...but they seem to stick to the same formula live these days. Wish they would be more adventurous

Who's gonna run your wild horses sounded great full band at amsterdam vertigo tour. And a full band Please would be amazing as well.

In fact most of the songs sound better played full band.

Back
Top Bottom