Songs From Achtung Baby and Josha Tree Breath Of Fresh Air After NLOTH.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonna Run 2 U

New Yorker
Ive been listening to NLOTH for the past 2 days and I cant believe how claustrophobic this album feels. Tonight I was on U2's myspace and listened to "heartland"...and "so cruel" and it was a gigantic breath of fresh air. I find it absolutely crazy that people are putting NLOTH up there with Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree. When I listen to something off of Joshua, Hum, or Baby then something off of NLOTH i say to myself, "damn why did they have to get old"......(not saying that NLOTH is bad its still good).

Anyone feel like this after listening to the album and going back to the real classics?

*Can someone edit the spelling in the topic?

I first had Magnificent as my myspace song but I was like this seems just like such a poor choice now that they have like all of their songs up there...and when I got to the back catalogue I put heartland up there and its just so much better than anything on NLOTH..imo.

No, to me it ranks up there with U2's classics. And after listening to OTH again, it almost passed JoshUa Tree as my second fav. :wink: But JT closes with MOTD which is perfect.

I gotta say that the first few listens of the album i was like "Ok, this album is good, bu ti don't get it too much"...and now i love this album sooooo much, it's really a master piece, god wonderful, it's incredible the work Brian Eno did with the Vocals harmonies and sing along. I just love in Being Born after the keyboard part and comes the vocals harmonies, OH MY GOD, what a beautiful piece of art, too bad the common people probably will not understand this album, because it doesn't have catchy chorus.

My favorite album ever is Zooropa, and i kinda feel this album a lot like Zooropa.

Nloth sounds like an Old man record (still good songs) and ive been saying this since the start that its not even half as good as Achtung or JT(r&h) etc
still the album has good songs but its not epic.

:yell: The following is a general rant at all the people comparing NLOTH with older albums. :yell:

Why can't people appreciate NLOTH for what it is instead of comparing it to albums of a BYGONE ERA? What exactly do you want from U2? It seems like the only way that some people around here would ever be satisfied would be if U2 re-released The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby every four years instead of new stuff.

U2 are never going to make another Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree. Those eras are over, and this is a new one. Let go and enjoy it.

:yell: The following is a general rant at all the people comparing NLOTH with older albums. :yell:

Why can't people appreciate NLOTH for what it is instead of comparing it to albums of a BYGONE ERA? What exactly do you want from U2? It seems like the only way that some people around here would ever be satisfied would be if U2 re-released The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby every four years instead of new stuff.

U2 are never going to make another Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree. Those eras are over, and this is a new one. Let go and enjoy it.

One of the best posts I have read on this site and one that makes the most sense.

There is no point making comparisons, deep down everyone knows nothing they do now will surpass Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. It isn't even down to the quality of songs or album overall. I've already posted on Interference and stated that it's amount of nostalgia, sentimentality and the esteem that fans hold those two albums in. They have been around for too long and mean too much for people to allow anything new, nearly 20 years later in AB's case, to better those great masterpieces.

I would rather say it's the best work they have produced in the last decade, I'd even say the best since AB, as I really believe that. But you can't compare NLOTH to U2's two albums that people simply can't or will not let go of and mean too much.

Ive been listening to NLOTH for the past 2 days and I cant believe how claustrophobic this album feels. Tonight I was on U2's myspace and listened to "heartland"...and "so cruel" and it was a gigantic breath of fresh air. I find it absolutely crazy that people are putting NLOTH up there with Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree. When I listen to something off of Joshua, Hum, or Baby then something off of NLOTH i say to myself, "damn why did they have to get old"......(not saying that NLOTH is bad its still good).

Anyone feel like this after listening to the album and going back to the real classics?

:down: no

One of the best posts I have read on this site and one that makes the most sense.

There is no point making comparisons, deep down everyone knows nothing they do now will surpass Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. It isn't even down to the quality of songs or album overall. I've already posted on Interference and stated that it's amount of nostalgia, sentimentality and the esteem that fans hold those two albums in. They have been around for too long and mean too much for people to allow anything new, nearly 20 years later in AB's case, to better those great masterpieces.

I would rather say it's the best work they have produced in the last decade, I'd even say the best since AB, as I really believe that. But you can't compare NLOTH to U2's two albums that people simply can't or will not let go of and mean too much.

:up:

imo :wave:

I agree with everyone complaining about the constant comparisons, seriously, it's tiring. It's tiring to read it in the media, where reviewers are either complaining about U2 NOT sounding like their old selves, or about them sounding like their old selves, reviewers cannot make up their minds. If I listen to NLOTH, I listen to NLOTH and I don't go back and listen to all the other albums, because I have listend to them to death already. Heck, we have a new U2 album out, what's the point of going back to the old ones right now? I totally agree with what U2 always says about not looking back and always looking into the future, I think some fans need to think about this now and then.

And to say NLOTH is like a old men album is simply ridiculous. It's ageless, like good music should be. If I didn't know the age of U2 I wouldn't dare to judge it based on the album. I think there is a certain kind of live experience in there, thank God there is, but there is no such thing like "age" in music. And besides, Bono sings with a really young voice here.

It's ridiculous that people are complaining now about U2 getting old. :doh:

I understand what you're saying! I kept listening to NLOTH for like 10 times in a row and I was starting to get sick of it! Not disliking it but lacking air as you said. It is indeed a very claustrophobic album.
I really love some of the songs, but I'm looking forward to seeing them live. Fez-Being born:drool::drool:

I agree with everyone complaining about the constant comparisons, seriously, it's tiring. It's tiring to read it in the media, where reviewers are either complaining about U2 NOT sounding like their old selves, or about them sounding like their old selves, reviewers cannot make up their minds. If I listen to NLOTH, I listen to NLOTH and I don't go back and listen to all the other albums, because I have listend to them to death already. Heck, we have a new U2 album out, what's the point of going back to the old ones right now? I totally agree with what U2 always says about not looking back and always looking into the future, I think some fans need to think about this now and then.

And to say NLOTH is like a old men album is simply ridiculous. It's ageless, like good music should be. If I didn't know the age of U2 I wouldn't dare to judge it based on the album. I think there is a certain kind of live experience in there, thank God there is, but there is no such thing like "age" in music. And besides, Bono sings with a really young voice here.

It's ridiculous that people are complaining now about U2 getting old. :doh:

Man you're right here, impossible to know their age if you don't know U2. It could be 30 years old guys playing that.

The thing about listening to older albums, particularly after NLOTH (not that I've heard it yet), is that they are more capable of provoking nostalgia and reviving established personal connections with the songs and the albums and the lyrics or whatever.

NLOTH is just a few days old, these personal connections have had no time to develop or entrench themselves withing one's personal psyche.....the new kid in school who is really cool and you get along great, yet he's not a best mate yet cause you haven't yet had the scope to share similarly memorable experiences you've had with the chum you've had since you were a 5 year old.

I actually do feel the same. I'm not sure if it is because those albums are quality wise just so much better, or because NLOTH sounds so different that i have to get used to it some more, but i already listened to it at least 10 times from beginning to end.

I know the constant comparisons to older work may annoy some of you guys and thats fine. But there are people who are putting it up there with Joshua Tree and Achtung and its just not sane to do that. NLOTH is good for men pushing 50 and its a classic in its own right but the quality of the songs vs the older albums there really is no comparison.

Sorry, but I personally think it does compare. I believe that it will stay #3 for me, but the fact that it is so close in quality to JT is simply amazing. And how do they sound old?

Never mind.....I listened to the first four songs on the U2's myspace stream. I can not wait until March 3rd. When it is released. I love the music.

A-MEN BROTHER!!!

Its a totaly different album and I love it for what it is. I love having AB, JT, and NLOTH. Three different albums instead of three albums of the same thing. I love having choices.

I know the constant comparisons to older work may annoy some of you guys and thats fine. But there are people who are putting it up there with Joshua Tree and Achtung and its just not sane to do that. NLOTH is good for men pushing 50 and its a classic in its own right but the quality of the songs vs the older albums there really is no comparison.

Age has nothing to do with how good your art is. Nobody looks at famous artwork and says, "This painting looks like it was done by an old man." If none of us had ever seen what U2 looks like, then this would not be an issue. They're musicians, not quarterbacks.

Back
Top Bottom