Some U2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
1 - Why isn't Passengers Original Soundtracks an official U2 album? Ok I know that they went under the name "Passengers", so that may be why, however, songs from the passengers album have been on the "U2" compilation The Best Of 1990-2000 (Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room). So if these "qualify" as U2 songs, then why not the entire Passengers album?

2 - Were the singles from SOI properly released as singles in the UK? Because there are no chart positions for them in the official UK charts, yet there is for all other U2 singles from past albums.

3 - Why do the band hate "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses", when it is clearly one of their best songs? Are there any other songs of theirs they hate as much as this? And if they do hate it so much, why did they release it as a single?

4 - Why were "Lucifer's Hands" and "The Crystal Ballroom" left off SOI, when they are clearly some of the stronger songs compared to the rest of the album?

5 - As much as I love TUF artwork, why the castle? What does that have to do with the album's title?

6 - Almost everyone I know hates or dislikes U2. Yet, they are one of the most successful bands and have sold millions. What's going on? Am I just surrounded by the wrong people? Is it an age thing? (I'm 30)

7 - SOE - Is it happening? Any news on it? Or is it all still rumours, that will probably not end up happening?

1 - Why isn't Passengers Original Soundtracks an official U2 album? Ok I know that they went under the name "Passengers", so that may be why, however, songs from the passengers album have been on the "U2" compilation The Best Of 1990-2000 (Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room). So if these "qualify" as U2 songs, then why not the entire Passengers album?

Long story short, Larry wouldn't let them do that. Passengers tracks where seen as soundtracks for nonexistent music. And totally not related to U2. Also..Brian Eno was very much involved with this one and might have been seen as part of the band. Thus they came up with the collective of "Passengers" Larry loathing it with a passion was probably the biggest reason :wink:

5 - As much as I love TUF artwork, why the castle? What does that have to do with the album's title?

I just read a book about this. Here's the quote I translated from my native language to english about the cover of UF."Even though the Unforgettable Fire was a rock album, the soundscaping compared to previous albums, like the sharp and straight to the point sounding Boy and War, was much more experimental, more mysterious.
This album had a hidden power. And this was reflected by the picture on the cover of the album cover which was photographed by Anton Corbijn.
A Black and White picture of a stunning Moydrum Castle, that got taken back by nature after it burned down during the war from 1919-1921. "

6 - Almost everyone I know hates or dislikes U2. Yet, they are one of the most successful bands and have sold millions. What's going on? Am I just surrounded by the wrong people? Is it an age thing? (I'm 30)
Because everyone can write shit about them, and sheeple believe it because they read it on the internetz.
Jealousy is a bitch. Especially if someone's successful.
Also, being a young person into something old is not cool y'know. :wink: I know, I'm 23.

Can't be bothered to answer the other questions, because I think those are to open to someone's opinion. Hard to answer any of them based on arguments that make sense to me..

Seriously?

2 - Were the singles from SOI properly released as singles in the UK? Because there are no chart positions for them in the official UK charts, yet there is for all other U2 singles from past albums.

Seriously? This was answered in your thread dedicated to this question.

3 - Why do the band hate "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses", when it is clearly one of their best songs? Are there any other songs of theirs they hate as much as this? And if they do hate it so much, why did they release it as a single?

Who told you they hate it?

4 - Why were "Lucifer's Hands" and "The Crystal Ballroom" left off SOI, when they are clearly some of the stronger songs compared to the rest of the album?

They didn't fit. They needed a reason to sell the deluxe version. They didn't finish.

They couldn't afford to photograph an atomic bomb.

Because Bono.

7 - SOE - Is it happening? Any news on it? Or is it all still rumours, that will probably not end up happening?

My copy is pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Passengers is an album that you buy buy and physically hold and listen to in 2015 so why does it matter if it's labeled as a U2 album? It's a great piece of art and it stands on its own. It's a good document of where the band was 20 years ago in that odd time and space post Zooropa and pre POP.

I think the impression of ""U2 hate Wild Horses" thing come from some interview of them (actually it's from Steve Lillywhite) saying that they struggled to incorporate some industrial, signature "Aching Baby-ness" to the song and they tried too hard to do that (thus hating the song).

If I'm not mistaken, the Rolling Stone special edition says that they were not satisfied with Wild Horses, somehow felt it had unfulfilled potential, that they could have made it better. Personally, I love the song, and it's sad to think I'll probably never hear it live :angry:

Yeah, I don't post here too often, which is why I have lots of questions.

Seriously?

Why not? I thought I raised a good point regarding Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room. They are labelled as U2 songs, so by that logic, why not the rest of the passengers album?

Seriously? This was answered in your thread dedicated to this question.

Not really. Some people said what they suspected, but no definite answers.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't post here too often, which is why I have lots of questions.

Why not? I thought I raised a good point regarding Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room. They are labelled as U2 songs, so by that logic, why not the rest of the passengers album?

Not really. Some people said what they suspected, but no definite answers.

The Passengers issue is a dead horse around here, there have been whole threads dedicated to it.

Yes you did. If it was a chart that's based on sales it didn't chart for obvious reasons. They did chart on certain lists that were based on requests and plays.

Last edited:

Larry didn't like it. Management and the record co. thought it was too far out and would kill the brand. U2 are band of four, and Eno was writing with them, and that means it's not U2. Apparently, that rule no longer applied in 2008, when he was a member of the band. Along with Lanois.

Miss Sarajevo and YBR are U2 songs but the album that they are on is not a U2 record is because....well there's no reason that's logically sound.

OST 1 will be branded an official U2 album one day. Unless they want to continue to misrepresent the arc of their career.

If I may, I would like to add a question: why did Bono go through an entire tour sporting a truly ridiculous dye job?

If I may, I would like to add a question: why did Bono go through an entire tour sporting a truly ridiculous dye job?

something about looking in the mirror and seeing his 18 year-old self. a reminder of his innocence days..

for SOE, I'm expecting him to embrace the balding. The reality of what he now sees in the mirror...

A friend voiced this theory: his hair is getting thin and blond hair shows the lighter spots less than dark hair. Hm, we'll see if he sticks with the color, goes back to black, or starts wearing a beanie ;) The future holds the answer!

here's the answer:

Bonoveryshorthairstyle.jpg

When was the last time we saw edge without the beanie. How much hair do u think he has?

Probably 1989, dudes been bald since around ZOO TV I think

I'm sure there's some PLEBAns that can answer this question, but he did do a photo shoot for Bomb with a shaved head no beanie.

If I'm not mistaken, the Rolling Stone special edition says that they were not satisfied with Wild Horses, somehow felt it had unfulfilled potential, that they could have made it better. Personally, I love the song, and it's sad to think I'll probably never hear it live :angry:

It is sad! I know everyone just wants to hear Acrobat, but Wild Horses would blow my mind. It's really the only song I'm dying to hear live that I haven't.

It is sad! I know everyone just wants to hear Acrobat, but Wild Horses would blow my mind. It's really the only song I'm dying to hear live that I haven't.

Wild Horses has been played live during the Vertigo tour, so I'd like to think there is still hope they'll play it again

Well, only in the US. Last live performance in Europe was 2001, and it was only once (Zurich). A part from that the last live performance in Europe was during Zoo TV... But I really, really hope to hear it live at least once.

Back
Top Bottom