Some thoughts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropop40

Refugee
Interference is called Interference because it int
Sorry if this may seem pointless to some of you but I just needed to get my thoughts down with some other U2 fans haha....

anyways, my music taste has completely changed over the past year...its kind of wierd. I attribute it all to Radiohead. While no band will ever come close to U2, Radiohead is the one band that I ever thought could ever come somewhat near U2's level. The reason why Im bringing this up is because Radiohead taught me to appreciate music on a different level. I use to look at music as if it was a formula, which would be: a nice beat, a catchy chorus, and maybe a nice guitar solo. When I started listening to Radiohead, I couldnt find any memorable guitar hooks, not many real chorus's, and the definition of a "song" was completely and utterly lost on me....but for some reason- I liked it because it CHALLANGED me. Instead of listening to music looking for some sort of nice riff or melody, I started listening to music just as sounds, and sounds only in the present moment. I started listening to music in order to almost meditate and get lost in it. All the songs blurred into one and became simply "sounds" and ambiance.

...and that was when I started to gain a new appreciation for U2.

If it wasn't for my adventure into music from "Kid A" (which Bono has cited as one of his favorite albums), the music from "passengers" (which I now LOVE) would have been lost on me. Because of this, I also appreciate NLOTH because it is an album that makes such good use of music as more than catchy tunes but as sounds that can make the mood and atmosphere in a room change. This is a problem I think most young listeners and newer bands have. They are trying to make "songs" but not painting, art, moods, and colors.

In fact the other day, I listened to "The ground beneath her feet" for the first time in a while. this was a song I always liked,but never really loved. For the first time in about 2 years, I listened to that song as I found its title on my massive U2 collection in Itunes. I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY. It is now one of my favorite songs because I have started to look at music in a new way. In fact, I dont know about you, but I think that TGBHF would fit perfectley on the new album. I might make a playlist incorporating TGBHF into NLOTH because it just works so well.

anyways, just needed to get that off my chest :wave:

I feel exactly the same way. I still love U2, but everything that's in Radiohead's albums like Kid A, In Rainbows, OK Computer and many songs from their others... the more I love the types of things Radiohead does. I keep finding myself more and more disappointed in U2's recent work like HTDAAB. Zero challenge for me. Not something I can put in the car and play over and over again for months at a time. I will say... there's a lot of great stuff on NLOTH. It's not quite there. Certainly not challenging like Radiohead, but there's a lot more to many of the songs than U2 have released as of late. I wish they would have challenged me more though!

I feel exactly the same way. I still love U2, but everything that's in Radiohead's albums like Kid A, In Rainbows, OK Computer and many songs from their others... the more I love the types of things Radiohead does. I keep finding myself more and more disappointed in U2's recent work like HTDAAB. Zero challenge for me. Not something I can put in the car and play over and over again for months at a time. I will say... there's a lot of great stuff on NLOTH. It's not quite there. Certainly not challenging like Radiohead, but there's a lot more to many of the songs than U2 have released as of late. I wish they would have challenged me more though!

I agree to an extent with HTDAAB, but NLOTH has me completely lost in it. I absolutely love that album and just how beautiful and moody it is. I was so happy when I first heard the album it reminds me very much of Achtung baby.

NLOTH makes challenges my mind, in a philosophical-ish sense, more than any U2 album save Achtung Baby. But I generally agree with your post, zooropop.

NLOTH makes challenges my mind, in a philosophical-ish sense, more than any U2 album save Achtung Baby.

Yes absolutely! As much as I like HTDAAB, i really didnt know U2 had an album (or 2!) like NLOTH in them! It was quite a surprise. when I hear the first 4 tracks i am transported to another world.

Is it just me, or does TGBHF sound like it belongs on NLOTH?

Yes absolutely! As much as I like HTDAAB, i really didnt know U2 had an album (or 2!) like NLOTH in them! It was quite a surprise. when I hear the first 4 tracks i am transported to another world.

Is it just me, or does TGBHF sound like it belongs on NLOTH?

Sonically, greatly so... lyrically... well, it would be interesting to see what sort of lyrics Bono could have come up with on his own (not that I have a problem with the current Salmon Rushdie lyrics). But, honestly, TGBHF was what kept me optimistic about NLOTH... it gave me a sense that they knew how to make incredible music from their post-Pop sound. Most of attyclub and Bomb didn't follow that.

NLOTH makes challenges my mind, in a philosophical-ish sense, more than any U2 album save Achtung Baby. But I generally agree with your post, zooropop.

Achtung Baby not only changed how I listen to music...but the way in which I see the world (Cheesy I know...but I'm sure there are people out there who know exactly what I'm talking about)

^:up:

BTW: I remember by first time listening to The Fly...on the very coach I'm sitting on now...I can't even put into words how I felt after the song ended...

^:up:

BTW: I remember by first time listening to The Fly...on the very coach I'm sitting on now...I can't even put into words how I felt after the song ended...

Watching The Fly on the Vertigo Chicago DVD (my first exposure to that song - I went to live U2 quickly) was the moment that I knew I loved U2.

so...anyone have any thoughts on radiohead?

A great band. One of the best out there right now. But... and I don't have anything whatsoever against Thom Yorke... they don't have Bono. They're a great band with excellent sonic landscapes (to borrow an Eno term that I really like), but they have always lacked the sense of humanity that I get from U2, especially in U2's most radiohead like phases. I could rant for a long time about that... so I won't. :D

Watching The Fly on the Vertigo Chicago DVD (my first exposure to that song - I went to live U2 quickly) was the moment that I knew I loved U2.

:up:

God, the moment I knew I loved U2...I can't seem to recall, maybe the first time I say Rattle and Hum while babysitting 3 years ago...it was 2 in the morning, I was so tired but I didn't want to go to sleep (I was watching a new born)

Then RH came on VH1 classic...the rest, as they, say is history!

"Fuck the revolution"...I wasn't sure what he was talking about at the time, but I thought to myself, "WOW, The guy was fucking serious, I mean...that guy was seriously pissed off!"

Sunday Bloody Sunday, with the feedback in the mic towards the end...amazing stuff

I completely agree with your point about Radiohead being the closest to U2 in terms getting lost in the music. In the recent waiting period for the new album, I got In Rainbows, quickly followed by the rest of their collection.

I think they're masters at creating a sonic landscape, just like U2 are. They also both create reactions in my mind and emotionally. I think Radiohead can almost be like a mirror image of U2 in some way. They've both had innovative albums that were declared classics before completely changing their sound to create another masterpiece that changed the way I look at music.

The differences are in their marketing approach and lyrical content. U2 wants to be the biggest band in world. I think that prospect would give Thom Yorke nightmares. :lol: In terms of lyrics, Bono's are for the most part, more positive and can have many different meanings. For Thom Yorke, his are...not positive generally and half the time, I have no idea what he's talking about.

Two great bands who have changed music for the better. I would love to see a collaboration between them someday.

I completely agree with your point about Radiohead being the closest to U2 in terms getting lost in the music. In the recent waiting period for the new album, I got In Rainbows, quickly followed by the rest of their collection.

I think they're masters at creating a sonic landscape, just like U2 are. They also both create reactions in my mind and emotionally. I think Radiohead can almost be like a mirror image of U2 in some way. They've both had innovative albums that were declared classics before completely changing their sound to create another masterpiece that changed the way I look at music.

The differences are in their marketing approach and lyrical content. U2 wants to be the biggest band in world. I think that prospect would give Thom Yorke nightmares. :lol: In terms of lyrics, Bono's are for the most part, more positive and can have many different meanings. For Thom Yorke, his are...not positive generally and half the time, I have no idea what he's talking about.

Two great bands who have changed music for the better. I would love to see a collaboration between them someday.

wow...agreed 100%! I feel the same way. There music is somewhat simmilar in terms of creating layers and soundscapes, but their approach to society is so opposite. Bono has the opposite personality as Yorke. and Bono's lyrics I can sometimes find somewhat depressing, but overall they are at least understandable...while you take something from Paranoid android like "Kicking squeeling gucci little piggy"

but you are rights as to thier mirroring evolution: for instance...

Pablo Honey is very "punk rock" - simmilar to Boy/October/ War in U2's chronology

The Bends is more of a band taking form - simmilar to "Unforgettable Fire"

Ok Computer is the peak of popularity (a breakthrough) - Joshua Tree

Kid A is reinvention - Achtung/ Zooropa

Hail to the thief is an album which has many different directions and identies - Pop

In rainbows is somewhat back to basics- Altyclb/ Htdaab

Achtung Baby not only changed how I listen to music...but the way in which I see the world (Cheesy I know...but I'm sure there are people out there who know exactly what I'm talking about)

Not cheesy at all. I agree and totally get where you're coming from!

Kind of funny, I listened to NLOTH for the first time (the day of its release) and thought "Hmmm... I dunno..." Now, like Achtung Baby it has opened my eyes and ears all over again and it has had this unusual effect (positive) on me. I just made my own "Best of" U2 collection in iTunes for the heck of it and it's funny because as I was going through all of their catalog I realized that I was picking almost every single song off every single album LOL!

edit: BTW, I am a brand new fan of Radiohead and i'm loving them! Seriously, I had heard OF them but never listened to them until just a few months ago and now i'm hooked big time!

Last edited:

U2 have been firmly in the number 1 spot for me for the last 5 years. In the last 2 years however, Radiohead have been steadily creeping up. I am constantly blown away by the way they understand and master sonic landscapes. I can listen to a song of theirs that I have heard 100 times, and suddenly fall into an entirely different awareness of what it means. What sets Radiohead apart from the pack however is that, IMO, they are the only band who have ever successfully captured the sound of 2000s, whatever that is. The sound of Gen y, the sound of living in the present world. Radiohead just gets it on a fundamental and philosophical level. Bob Dylan and the beat poets did it for the 60s and 70s, U2 did for the 80s and early 90s, and Radiohead for the late 90s and 2000s. Thus, my holy trinity of artists. :up:

Back
Top Bottom