SOI - Now that the bloom is off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowlock

Refugee
Can't make myself like this album. I think the a-side is decent, but the b-side is so generic that I can barely remember the melodies of these songs when I see the titles.

The Miracle - Sounds like Vertigo and Beautiful Day had a baby. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Should be fun live. But we've heard this before. I'm also kinda sick of the whole "lets explore our roots" schtick. C'mon guys, it didn't work in 1989, it doesn't work now; simply changing the names of the bands you're paying homage to doesn't make it a fresh idea.

EBW - Like it. A good U2 song and worthy of the album. I might like the
"acoustic" version better. Not sure. The new producers improved on the song, if the 2010 versions are any indication.

California - The intro wrecks this song. Santa Barbara? Okay we get it, Edge lives there and wants the city council to let him build some development on a cliff. Does he need to ask the band to suck the city's dick to get it done?

Song for Someone - Could've been called 'Generic U2 Song #1'. If Rock Band prefabricated U2 parts to assemble into a song, this is what 85% of the users would've created. Even the title is generic. A perfect 5/10. Which I would hope U2 would find so insulting as to never deliver such claptrap again.

Iris - Great song. But I can't help but feel a little creeped out by it. Also, yes, it's Ultraviolet.

Volcano - Would be wholly forgettable if I didn't find the refrain so irritating and forced.

Raised By Wolves - Volcano without the irritating refrain.

Cedarwood Road - Beer song.

Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - Did this in 1997, called it If You Wear that Velvet Dress back then. Don't like either version.

This is wear you can zzzzzzzzz - I can't even finish typing out the title without boring myself to death. If this is supposed to be a song paying homage to The Clash, where's the hook? Where's the groove? Where's the stolen riffs from colored people?

The Troubles - Another filler; but at least the alternate version was better. I've played this song dozens of times, I couldn't repeat a single line of lyric without having to play it again. All I remember of this song is that there's some annoying chick singing on a U2 song; it annoyed me in 1983 with Red Light, it annoys me now.

It's a sad day when the most interesting song on this album (and the one that charted the best of the three singles so far) is hidden; and, it's not as strong a version as the edited one.

The reason Pop Music doesn't sell records like it did back in the day is because it's SHIT!!!! Don't use these shitty producers again, boys, please. Chasing relevance is kind of icky, but whatever; but don't tarnish your legacy at the same time.

I tried making an alternate track list to make this bore palatable:

1) The Miracle
2) Crystal Ballroom - because even this second rate disco song is better than much of what made the original album
3) Iris
4) Song for Someone
5) Raised by Wolves
6) This is Where
7) EBW
8) Invisible Album Version - Because the Red Edit is a little too good for this collection and it's succinctness feels out of place.
9) Ordinary Love - Which doesn't fit the tone of the album at all, but is a small sacrifice to pay for an excuse to cut shit from that b-side
10) California - I have an edit that cuts the santa barbara shit. Don't really improve it, but makes it less annoying.
11) Troubles (Alternate) - At least the alternate version allows it to compete for title of worst album closers ever with the likes of 'Grace' and 'Cedars', rather than simply winning it outright.

This nearly breaks the record for most amount of bad opinions in one post.

And that's coming from someone who's not really a fan of the new album!

Wow, so I guess we need a separate thread for everyone having a bad opinion about SOI now because a thread with the word autopsy in the title isn't bad enough. :|

I didn't think there would be a single person on the planet who would favour the alternate version of The Troubles, but there you go.

I agree with roughly half of this. But Edge lives in Malibu, not Santa Barbara.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I agree with roughly half of this. But Edge lives in Malibu, not Santa Barbara.

Then you might be half crazy ;)

You can dislike the album all you want, just have reasonable examples of why. But honestly, Sleep sounds like Velvet Dress? Troubles filler? Miracle sounds like BD? I mean say what you will about SFS but there's nothing U2ey about it. The list gets crazier and crazier...

Oh and I almost forgot RBW is like Volcano, lol. That's a great understanding of music right there.

Repeat thread topic warrants my repeat thoughts.....

After 6 months I still love this album.

EBW is in my top 15 U2 songs(that is saying a lot given the depth of their catalog).

California boarders on cheesy and cool and for me...it lands squarely in the "cool" category.

SFS...I love this tune, one of the best on the album. Yes it's simple and straight forward and feels generic but every time the chorus hits, I sing along. This song has a way of pulling me into the music.

Iris is great, the last two minutes are bliss. I really can't wait to hear this one live!

Volcano is a hate it or like it song and I like it. It reminds me of Elevation, which I love, but it's a bit darker.

RBW is their best song lyrically in a very long time and one of the best lyrically in their catalog. The chorus leaves something to be desired but a song that I enjoy.

Sleep like a Baby does have a "Velvet Dress" feel to it. I think this song would have fit on POP rather nicely. With that said, sleep soars in every aspect that Velvet Dress failed for me (Lyrically and sonically superior than Dress). Outside of that comparison, it is a damn fine song.

Reach is awesome! It is a fun ride from start to finish, one of the highlights on SOI for sure

Troubles never took off for me but I can see why so many like it. It is a beautiful song.

Invisible and TCB are two of the best "b-sides" U2 have written. Both songs are really good and are album worthy!

I have said this is my 3rd favorite U2 album and after 6 months, it still is.

Signed,

A very happy U2 fan!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

How many fucking "I think this album really sucks and I'm going to tell you all in minute detail because my opinion is far too important to be lost in the musings of the rabble by being posted in one of the many threads we already have" threads do we need?

And it's not even in the right forum!

:lock::lock::lock:

Hmm, lemme break this down thusly:

@Cobl04 - Go fuck yourself

@dannyboy - What makes you think your opinion needs to be stated about my opinion. Fucking hypocrite narcissist.

@zoopop - I am going to see them on tour. You know what they say about assumptions? They make you look like a typical interference poster.

@last unicorn - See my response to dannyboy, thread police asshole.

@thavidesco - One of the lowest forms of humanity are those that find other peoples opinions threatening. Fuck you lemming.

@Axver - I wish I had a time machine (and the desire) to go back through your history of pompous asshattery and bestow a 'fuck you pompous asshat' on each instance. But I'm afraid I would wear out too many keyboards.

@BVS - Still don't give a shit about you, sycophant.

@digitize - You're right. I guess I hate that Santa Barbara intro on it's own merits then.

@Headache in a Suitcase - Careful for stating your opinion on something. Thavidesco, Lastunicorn, and Dannyboy may have a cow. Oh wait, they agree with you so it's cool then.

@Mrs. Garrison - Piss, hopefully.

@Reggie Thee Dog - what's Cedarwood Road?

@CosmoKramer - If you come to a U2 site, and you get offended by threads from people giving their opinion on U2 albums, then YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT. Oh wait, your forum name is taken from a character whose actor went on a racist rant. You are a fucking idiot.

@DaveC - Read my response to Cosmokramer.

Always amazing to me, that U2 has always been about ideas and opinions, and it's most vocal "fans" on here are always so closed minded about them. You fucks miss the point of life. Kill yourselves.

@dannyboy - What makes you think your opinion needs to be stated about my opinion. Fucking hypocrite narcissist.

@zoopop - I am going to see them on tour. You know what they say about assumptions? They make you look like a typical interference poster.

@thavidesco - One of the lowest forms of humanity are those that find other peoples opinions threatening. Fuck you lemming.

@Axver - I wish I had a time machine (and the desire) to go back through your history of pompous asshattery and bestow a 'fuck you pompous asshat' on each of instance. But I'm afraid I would wear out too many keyboards.

@digitize - You're right. I guess I hate that Santa Barbara intro on it's own merits then.

@Headache in a Suitcase - Careful for stating your opinion on something. Thavidesco, Lastunicorn, and Dannyboy may have a cow. Oh wait, they agree with you so it's cool then.

@CosmoKramer - If you come to a U2 site, and you get offended by threads from people giving their opinion on U2 albums, then YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT. Oh wait, your forum name is taken from a character whose actor went on a racist rant. You are a fucking idiot.

Always amazing to me, that U2 has always been about ideas and opinions, and it's most vocal "fans" on here are always so closed minded about them. You fucks miss the point of life. Kill yourselves.

Well, that was a pretty funny read and any time you can use "asshattery" in an attack on someone, that is something I will applaud.

With that said, I never mentioned anything about being offended by this thread, only that it is a repeat of other threads.

If I were offended, I might have taken the time and replied to your post with attacks and really mean and vicious things that's not my style.

Well guess what, motherfucker, I didn't read the entire internet first to make sure it was okay with you before I posted.

You don't have to read the "entire internet", you just need to click on any forum on this very site that you are on and chances are you would see a thread.

But you seem very angry and hate filled at the moment, so I'll leave you be.

Hope your day gets better.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

@Axver - I wish I had a time machine (and the desire) to go back through your history of pompous asshattery and bestow a 'fuck you pompous asshat' on each instance. But I'm afraid I would wear out too many keyboards.

How can you lecture someone on getting offended after you wrote this? You just got so offended that you felt the need to call them out individually.

But I'm just a sycophant :shrug:
Bye :wave:

Christ, what an asshole.

Ya you are. How dare someone fight back when getting ganged up on for having an opinion, amirite???

You know U2 would fucking HATE you lot, right? Pretentious, scared of others opinions, mob rule bullies with pitch folks that want to shout down everyone that doesn't agree with you.

Internet trash. Can't even handle the taste of their own medicine. Pussies that cry victim for getting back what they give.

And the real crime of it all is, you're always all SO FUCKING WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING! Like always, always, always proven wrong about every fucking opinion you've ever had on here.

The Iraq War, Songs of Ascent, HTDAAB... it's just like as a group, whatever possible issue it is that you all tend to agree on, and seriously, it's like a cattle call of failures, the posters in this thread, you're always so fucking wrong about everything it's amazing. Irving, you're just another one of these idiot POS's. Its like how can you look yourself in the mirror and not want to punch yourself in the face for being such a goddamned cunt? I'll never know.

You don't have to read the "entire internet", you just need to click on any forum on this very site that you are on and chances are you would see a thread.

I don't need some racist to tell me what I have to do. Go fuck yourself.

BVS, you too. How on earth has someone not found you and knocked you on your ass by now? it's impressive, being chickenshit behind the wall of the internet for so long. You're a better at being a pussy than Snowden.

Oh the irony is strong with this one...
:corn:

Can't you read you dumb motherfucker? The first post in the thread wasn't attacking a single Interference poster. Then the interference posters attacked me, then I attacked back. How is that irony?

Can't you read you dumb motherfucker? The first post in the thread wasn't attacking a single Interference poster. Then the interference posters attacked me, then I attacked back. How is that irony?

You're playing victim, you always do. So what if they didn't like your opinion, do what the rest of us do and defend your opinion or move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom