So what were the NLOTH B-sides?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
North Star isn't a B-side or non-album track from the NLOTH-period. Same goes for Every Breaking Wave. Both haven't been released so far, although they were around for the NLOTH-sessions. Best live versions in my opinion for these tracks are the performances from Coimbra (North Star - 03-10-2010) and Helsinki (EBW - 21-08-2010)

I'm missing some era songs from NLOTH in the list above. There were also the following tracks:

- Breathe (Edit) - from linear DVD
- Get On Your Boots (with longer intro) - Amazon download
- Get On Your Boots (Crookers Remix) - NLOTH iTunes bonus download / rare CD promo
- Magnificent (UK Edit) - 7-inch vinyl and itunes download
- Magnificent (Fred Falke Radio Mix)
- Unknown Caller (Snow Patrol Remix) - Artificial Horizon tripple Vinyl - download bonus
- Get On Your Boots (Fish Out Of Water Mix) - Artificial Horizon fanclub CD / tripple vinyl
- I'll Go Crazy... (Edit) - UK Promo CD-single
- I'll Go Crazy... (Dirty South Mix Edit) - UK 7-inch single and US promo CD

And there were some none album tracks that were released around this time and can be considered from the session period from 2007-2009

- I Believe In Father Christmas (Greg Lake Cover) - Starbucks christmas CD - 2009
- Winter 2 - from Brothers movie (diff. from Linear version) - Movie DVD / Promo CD (quite rare)
- The Ballad Of Ronnie Drew - CD-single - recorded & released in 2008

Is this GOYB with the longer intro - via Amazon - have the intro as played live at the 2009 Brit awards?

If not, was there a released version that does? I liked it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ_iLIpzKY0

Linear Winter is a bunch of poorly written pieces of music and lyrics poorly strung together. It sounds like a collection of lowlights from the NLOTH sessions, all of which coincidentally happened to be in the same key and tempo.

Brothers Winter is a palatable song. So yes, it's in a different stratosphere of quality from its predecessor.

Sorry El-Mel, I just don't agree with this at all. I don't see how you can say one is poorly written and the other isn't when it's essentially the same music and lyrics.

I prefer the Linear version because the atmosphere of it is so much warmer and more wide open, and it feels like Bono is giving his all to his vocal performance. It's passionate. The atmosphere of the Brothers version feels sterile and almost claustrophobic. The Winter version sounds and feels like it's being performed in a wide open space, while the Brothers version feels like it's being performed in small, confined space. That driving drumbeat that's behind everything on the Linear version is gone and Bono's vocals sound restrained, like he's holding back, in comparison to the Linear version where opposite is true, imo. The Brothers version features very sparse instrumentation, while the Linear version features the whole band creating the atmosphere, an atmosphere that is almost UF-like in nature.

Plus I prefer the naked 'oh oh oh' outro without the 'so glad you made it home' refrain on top of it, although in a vacuum I do like that line.

It just feels like they maybe intentionally made the song darker and more somber in tone in order to better match the tone of the film it was being used in.

Don't get me wrong, both versions have their merits, and it's not that I dislike the Brothers version, but I just prefer the Linear version(though there was a point when the Brothers version was newly released at which I preferred it, probably because it was new).

Sorry El-Mel, I just don't agree with this at all. I don't see how you can say one is poorly written and the other isn't when it's essentially the same music and lyrics.

The main difference is that in one version I can see the seams and in the other I can't.

Yes. I should have specified: I don't particularly care for Brothers Winter; the lyrics in particular remain extremely poor, but I also don't think that it was irresponsible for them to release it. I'm not sure why they rushed out Linear Winter without editing it properly.

Yes. I should have specified: I don't particularly care for Brothers Winter; the lyrics in particular remain extremely poor, but I also don't think that it was irresponsible for them to release it. I'm not sure why they rushed out Linear Winter without editing it properly.

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I mean, I can hear the cuts as well, I just don't mind it. And outside of the 'butter on toast' line which is admittedly awkward, and the first couple verses don't make as much sense as they could, the rest of it is fine for me. I actually really like:

"
The broken and the bruised
The young and the used
The sure and confused
All here

Words will then land on me
Then abandon me
Mangle, untangle me
Leave me on the floor
Rhymes, they sprang in me
Summer sang in me
But summer sings in me no more

Now I'm twenty-five
And trying to stay alive
In a corner of the world
With no clear enemies to fight"

Different strokes I guess.

As an aside, I don't quite get this quote from Edge: "though it's a beautiful tune, it doesn't quite fit on our record thematically".

I'm just not sure what theme it is that it doesn't fit.

Well the day of the b-side is general is dead. I think some bands do it out of tradition, but honestly the physical single has been dead a long time now.

Yeah, but this album didn't really have bonus tracks either (the replacement to the b-side). It's disappointing. U2 has almost always had strong left-over material, and we got nearly nothing out of this :(

Yeah, but this album didn't really have bonus tracks either (the replacement to the b-side). It's disappointing. U2 has almost always had strong left-over material, and we got nearly nothing out of this :(

Well we got a movie as the bonus, which I actually thought was pretty cool concept.

The great thing about Linear is that you don't actually have to own it to watch it. Just start playing the album in the background and bring up various still shots from the movie on google and you get the gist.

images

Back
Top Bottom