So I've been on a Pop kick the past day or so...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find Pop to be overrated and underrated at the same time. I love about 1/2 the album.

Im with you:

Disco, DYFL, SATS, Playboy M, Last Night on Earth are all very good songs.

Mofo, Velvet Dress, Wake up Dead Man, Miami are all awful songs (dont get mad, just my opinion).

Then you have gone, please, IGWSHA, which are okay.

What always pissed me off was that the single mix of Please & If God Will Send his Angles were sooooo much better than the album (the Please strings mix is great!). You could even argue that the Gone mix (from the best of) and the Last Night on Earth single mix were better than the album cuts. If they had put these single mixes on the album, I would have said this album is a classic (well, near classic). I will say that DYFL is a GREAT song (its like Magnificents cousin or Vertigo's older brother :shifty:)

i'm starting to feel i'm the only person who doesn't particularly care for dyfl. i mean, i don't hate it, but i don't love it either. and i love pop. :reject:

Sacrilege!!!

I kid, I kid. :)

What always pissed me off was that the single mix of Please & If God Will Send his Angles were sooooo much better than the album (the Please strings mix is great!). You could even argue that the Gone mix (from the best of) and the Last Night on Earth single mix were better than the album cuts. If they had put these single mixes on the album, I would have said this album is a classic (well, near classic). I will say that DYFL is a GREAT song (its like Magnificents cousin or Vertigo's older brother :shifty:)

You know, I actually had a playlist on itunes years ago where I basically replaced all the album tracks with the single mixes, and added stuff like Holy Joe in as well for a new version of Pop, so to speak. I figured this was something most people did on here anyway though. I might have to try burning it to CD this week sometime and listening to it in the car and see if it has any better cohesion to it.

That being said, I'm still listening to the album a lot lately. Darn you people for pushing the Do You Feel Loved deal here! :lol:

You could even argue that the Gone mix (from the best of) and the Last Night on Earth single mix were better than the album cuts.

you could argue that, but you'd be wrong :wink:

I don't really care about LNOE single mix, I always listen to the album mix. it could be better, but not better enough for me to care. the live version though, with the rockin' ending, that's money.

Gone though? not a fan of the new mix. Bono's voice is just...very mediocre, by his standards. Why would you want to re-record the vocal for that song when the original is so haunting and perfect? I don't understand it...

great to see lots of DYFL appreciation in here. Very underrated song and a shame it never really took off live. The live version I heard (used to have it, dunno where it went) was actually pretty cool I thought, though it did seem like it was not quite where it needed to be at parts. I think part of it was the vocal, it's not a stadium sing-along...

It really is an amazing album , so many cool songs.
DYFL should`ve been a single , it definetly would`ve done better than IGWSHA or Please or LNOE in the charts.

And I also think if they had given DYFL more time on Popmart it would`ve been amazing , like Mofo & LNOE , those two went from okay live ( Vegas ) to :drool: live.
I really liked to have seen DYFL live instead of that boring SATS acoustic:wink:
( I went to three Popmart Shows - 2x Rotterdam and Hanover , what a tour :drool: )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Outside of Interference and other places of U2-worship, Pop has been criminally underrated. If someone said that they absolutely despised it, I could never understand why, sure it's an opinion, but maybe they're listening to something else.

The opening 3 numbers on the album hit you like one of Muhammad Ali's (or the big, fat stereotypical school bully if you prefer) strongest punches squarely in the face. :wink:

There's no song I dislike on the record, I love them all. Even Miami and the Playboy Mansion, great stuff. Although I would rather the single version of Please, I still get plenty of listening enjoyment from the album version (it sounds weird and retarded, but I like it).

Pop = :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Tow hearts is rock because of the raw rock vocal. I can dance to Vertigo when it's loud but does that mean it's dance music? No wonder we have American artists with their rock music calling it pop when it's in fact rock. That's confirmed it. Anything that is accessible is considered pop music. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Funny. So that means that anything that isn't defined as the jazz standard is cosidered pop. Ho ho ho

After Achtung Baby, this is the remaster I am most excited for.

Do You Feel Loved is a fantastic, wonderful, sexy, moody song... and fits in with this fucking amazing album of sweet, shiny, dark electro-rock.

Tow hearts is rock because of the raw rock vocal. I can dance to Vertigo when it's loud but does that mean it's dance music?

Annie have you even listened to U2's first three albums? Two Hearts is decidely pop. The vocals alone do not define a songs genre. The lead vocal might be a bit rougher, but the music - and Edge's backups :lol: That is pure pop. You weren't even around back then, so how the hell would you know what was pop then? This is what you fail to understand - Pop is not a genre that remains the same - it's constantly shifting, as evidenced by the fact that when Two Hearts came out, rap/hop was around but only on the periphery of most radio listeners radar, it was nowhere near being called pop, yet. Now, it's all over the pop charts. Pop shifts as POPULAR MUSICAL OPINON SHIFTS. Get it?

Vertigo is also basically pop, pop rock. And both ARE extremely danceable songs. You're just going to trust me on this. As a matter of fact, Two Hearts was for many years one of the only U2 songs I could get away with playing as a DJ. NYD would work in some dances, but it wasn't as accessible as Two Hearts to people who knew little about U2. Also...if I'm not mistaken, Two Hearts was the first U2 song to be given the "Club Mix" treatment. You know, to play in dance clubs? If you have any doubt as to whether they wanted Two Hearts to be a danceable pop song, listen to the Two Hearts Club Mix. Also, the Two Hearts Remix.

Why don't you just stop babbling on about stuff you know nothing about? Surely your music teacher didn't run Two Hearts through her Genre Identification Matrix, did she? :lol:

Tow hearts is rock because of the raw rock vocal. I can dance to Vertigo when it's loud but does that mean it's dance music? No wonder we have American artists with their rock music calling it pop when it's in fact rock. That's confirmed it. Anything that is accessible is considered pop music. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Funny. So that means that anything that isn't defined as the jazz standard is cosidered pop. Ho ho ho

what does this have to do with Pop? :huh:

I met a U2 fan recently, and we were talking favourite albums and I said "Pop, easily" and he goes "NO ONE GETS POP!!" it's so true... I wish U2 wouldn't talk it down so much. that kinda stuff gets printed in magazines, people read them, and then don't buy the album because they think it's unfinished or whatever. I've made a lot of friends listen to Pop and they all think it's cool. I converted one friend to U2 years ago and you know what his favourite U2 song was? Miami! I understand if someone thinks Pop isn't as great as AB or JT, but I really think it's a much, much better album than the general public knows it as.

Pop is a really great album, it gets me in a real good mood and feeling relaxed

What would have really made it complete is if they would have included Holy Joe on there. Not the Garage or Guilty mix but just a regular studio version.

Back
Top Bottom