So, DO you like How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think about HTDAAB?

• Total voters
I haven't listened to this album since it came out. Only really like 2 songs off of it now. COBL and Vertigo.

On and is it just me or does anyone think NLOTH crapped out because people felt that GOYB was similar to Vertigo? I wonder if people also thought that the album was similar to HTDAAB? Don't get me wrong I think NLOTH is a bit better than HTDAAB but I felt like they could've done more with it.

It's okay. Lyrically, I think it's pretty mediocre. Probably Bono's worst album in that sense. That being said, in terms of what Edge, Adam and Larry are doing musically, I like it quite a lot (with the exception of A Man and a Woman and Original of the Species). If they'd had Native Son, Smile, Fast Cars and Mercy on there it would have been a lot better all around.

I honestly can't see how anyone would find any of these songs more enjoyable than any of the songs off any of their other albums. It's like what Mark Prindle said in his review of this album:

"people who have never heard songs before will think these are really great. Because in a sense, they ARE! But in another sense, they've already been written and recorded by U2 already. Several times. And too many of them are slow and don't go anywhere. And the lyrics are boring as shit. And that's what's so great about it!"

I feel if you had never heard anything by U2...hell, if you never heard anything pre-2004 in the music world, this album would rock your ass to town. If you're new to music in general (as in, never heard of the concept of music before), this album's for you.

(these are opinions)

Yes, I think it's a brilliant album and one of my favorites. It's clearly not as good as TJT or AB, but neither is sex.

Yes, I think it's a brilliant album and one of my favorites. It's clearly not as good as TJT or AB, but neither is sex.

Yeah, I saw this line, too, and immediately thought that this dude's notion of sex probably involves a relative's cock up his ass. I can't imagine I would enjoy that more than TJT or AB, either.

In comparison to other albums, like Joshua Tree, it's kinda blah. When, it first came out, I loved it. I am still fond of it, but I think No Line is definitely a better different (if that makes any sense). Like, they really broke from what they became in the 2000s and experimented - and it worked.

It's clearly not as good as TJT or AB, but neither is sex.

You know, I've posted a lot of ridiculous hyperbole and stupid things in my time here, but you've just gone and topped all of that, combined.

Well done.

I knew about that thread, but if I had linked the poster in the other thread to that he'd only complain that these results are old. I'm interested in seeing how the results differ(or not) now NLOTH's out and Bomb isn't the last record anymore. :)

Sofar I'm pretty glad with the outcome.

Aren't the two options in the middle basically the same thing? I don't think it's as bad as what I voted for, but I still don't like it.

I didn't intend them to be. The 2nd option is still positive about it, the 3rd is slightly negative. Dislike, not hate kinda thing.

Sorry if there's too much confusion with the poll options. I shouldn't let the Ibuprofen talk for me.

I like most of the songs, I just find the album frustrating, it lacks vision and intent. LAPOE just bores me now. Most of the other songs have enjoyable elements though.

Somewhere between the 3rd and 4th option, it's not a piece of shit, but it's easily the worst thing they've done I'd say.

It does contain Miracle Drug, which I DO consider to be a piece of shit which should be burned at the stake.

I think the options presented were not entirely hlepful. I would be somewhere between three and four.

Well, I couldn't care less for lyrics.
Bono could say:
"I poop all day
Through now until May
Crapping all over the place
I know I'm an ace".

If I like the sounds I like the music.
So, that being said:

I love Vertigo

Miracle Drug is not that bad

Sometimes I love the guitar from the part Bono says "Can you hear me when I sing"
Love and Peace or Else is interesting

I really and I mean really don't like the xilophone sounds in City of Blinding lights which made me not like it

All because of You is shit specially Bono's voice

A man and a woman... no comments

Crumbs from your table (like I said I'm interested in sounds and the guitar in this one irritates my ears-no kidding)

One Step Closer is beautiful

Original of the species is nice
I love Yahweh

and the best one is a bonus track: A adore Fast Cars.

So probably a 5/10. Not THAT bad, but not one of the best.

Well, I couldn't care less for lyrics.
Bono could say:
"I poop all day
Through now until May
Crapping all over the place
I know I'm an ace".

If I like the sounds I like the music.
So, that being said:

I love Vertigo

Miracle Drug is not that bad

Sometimes I love the guitar from the part Bono says "Can you hear me when I sing"
Love and Peace or Else is interesting

I really and I mean really don't like the xilophone sounds in City of Blinding lights which made me not like it

All because of You is shit specially Bono's voice

A man and a woman... no comments

Crumbs from your table (like I said I'm interested in sounds and the guitar in this one irritates my ears-no kidding)

One Step Closer is beautiful

Original of the species is nice
I love Yahweh

and the best one is a bonus track: A adore Fast Cars.

So probably a 5/10. Not THAT bad, but not one of the best.

I agree with you on Fast Cars, easily the best song on the album and it wasn't included as an official song on most copies, same goes for TGBHF. What were they thinking? TGBHF is my favourite U2 song of the decade, Fast Cars is probably second.

Chose the second option. It's an average U2 album for me. It has some very good songs. Miracle Drug is my favourite one. But it also has some really bad songs, like AMAAW and Yahweh. I do enjow ABOY and Vertigo though unlike a lot of people here.

In the middle of U2's albums together with ATYCLB and Boy.

Below the big 3 (JT-AB-UF), right below the second "almost there but something's missing" tier (NLOTH-War-Zooropa) but above the weakest links (October/Rattle and Hum/Pop).

So, over 70% of the forum likes Bomb, less than 10% hates it. That's rather nice to see. :)

I think that is a highly contentious interpretation of the evidence. Firstly, the 4th option was phrased in such an extreme manner that it's no surprise only nine people agreed. After all, one can strongly dislike HTDAAB without saying it's the worst album they have made- some rate October lower for instance. Secondly, the fairest reading reading of the evidence is that people deem it "okay". Those who said they loved it are counter-balanced by those who think it "not too great" and the dominant faction considers it okay but not among the band's best work. Although the majority view is more positive than my own I do not consider it a ringing endorsement either.

Thus, although I would not conclude that a mere 19 people "like" the album, I would put the figure at less than 70 because among the faction of 53 there will be those who "like" HTDAAB (albeit in a lukewarm fashion) and people who feel somewhat more ambivalent about it.

I would give it a 7 out 10. Like it over all... brings back special memories when I listen to it... which is why I don't like to anymore. :wave:

Eh....I went with Option 4 but that overstates it. It's below average, but not in a stuffed-with-filler way. I mean, they tried.

Basically, it's boring. I might muster the energy to click on Vertigo in itunes every once in a while but that's it.

I like it pretty well, so I selected the second option -- but I don't like it as much as NLOTH.

I don't care what other people say, I love Vertigo.

COBL is up there among my favorite U2 songs, and One Step Closer is one of their more beautiful slow songs.

I also love Crumbs From Your Table and Yahweh.

I'm not a big fan of All Because of You -- it's just OK.

Back
Top Bottom