Singles From Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JayBono

The Fly
Hi folks,

I've been listening to Pop again recently and having seen a few post of people creating an alternative version replacing the album tracks with the single versions.

I wanted to give it a listen.

However I seemed to have misplaced the singles. I have found the single version of Discotheque, with contains a couple of good mixes of Holy Joe.

Apple Music doesn't have the singles of these songs

I'm missing the following:

If God Will Send His Angels
Last night on Earth
Staring At the Sun
Please

Would anyone be able to send me these tracks so I can complete my alternate version of Pop?

I reconstructed POP using single versions and the best of mike hedges mixes minus the single version of last night on earth because Apple Music and iTunes doesn't have it. So I'll give it a listen at work tomorrow.

I've constructed a playlist version of Pop with all of the single mixes and also replaced Miami with Big Girls are Best and using the Jools Holland version of Velvet Dress.

Really like Pop as it was released but Miami never really did much for me. Overall this makes for one of my favorite U2 playlists.

Eh. "Gone" was an improvement at least, but that's probably because he had the band guiding him with exactly what they wanted - something that replicated the live experience of that track.

If God Will Send His Angels, The Mofo single mix, Please, Last Night On Earth....those were all way better than the originals.

If you're constructing an alternate version, you might as well go with the Mike Hedges version of Discotheque. Not only because it's more different than the album track than the single mixes (or edits?), but because those were basically terrible.

There's also the Jools Holland w/Bono version of If You Wear That Velvet Dress. And it's way better.

The single version of Please is like a million times better than the album version. Honestly. The single version is one of my favourite U2 songs, whereas the album version, to me, is not great.

The single version of IGWSHA is also better than it's album version, although the difference isn't that much - I enjoy both.

As for LNOE... I don't like the song. But I love the intro, on the album version. The single version loses this great intro, which was the only thing I liked about the song. However, at the same time, they made the actual song sound tighter on the single version. As a result, my favourite version of this song is the version that appears on the music video, which uses the album version's intro, and the single version for the rest of the song. Still though, I don't rate the song at all.

Really like Pop as it was released but Miami never really did much for me. Overall this makes for one of my favorite U2 playlists.

I like "Miami", the idea was there, but I feel it's incomplete. I wish they had recorded more like the live versions.
TBH, assuming that the "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" cover was one of the seeds to "Miami", and since the early live versions include clues from this cover version (Edge's riff, the bassline... and it fits just great, I loooove that part), I don't understand why they never included it in the studio version? Was it lack of time? And since they've remixed and re-recorded some Pop songs (including some that didn't need to be changed, remixed or re-recorded), why didn't they do it with "Miami", including the HIAWG parts (that are U2 originals and don't belong to the original version) into the song?

this video might be the best/worst thing ever :heart:

i love the song though

its without a doubt...yeah like something squirted in my ear and i haven't been the same since.
All for the better.
The big wind is here to stay lord tell me something won't blow us all away.
I know the sun was there now its circling underground while the sky is dancing above waiting to come down.
In the round it's going to pound us all into the cracks.
God knows we deserve it....paid the check and left the tip it's time to go when the clock hits zero.
Yet there's no place i'd rather be....Dorothy.

The single version of Please is like a million times better than the album version. Honestly. The single version is one of my favourite U2 songs, whereas the album version, to me, is not great.

The single version of IGWSHA is also better than it's album version, although the difference isn't that much - I enjoy both.

As for LNOE... I don't like the song. But I love the intro, on the album version. The single version loses this great intro, which was the only thing I liked about the song. However, at the same time, they made the actual song sound tighter on the single version. As a result, my favourite version of this song is the version that appears on the music video, which uses the album version's intro, and the single version for the rest of the song. Still though, I don't rate the song at all.

Can't agree at all with the single version of Please. It suffers the same fate as almost all redo's of their stuff. It gets softened up. Emotion gets lost. The single version loses a lot of the excellent guitar tone, the stark, pleading in Bono's vocals, and don't get me started on the strings. Gah, totally kills it.

Original of this and Gone are far superior IMO.

Was he responsible for the Numb remix on the best of too?

I haven't heard any of those in ages, and I refuse to change that, but that one was the worst, easily. In fact that one makes me mad just thinking about it. Maybe there's some kind of an argument for the POP songs. Gone more a live version, Disco cleaned up a little, whatever. Anyone that likes that Numb mix should be permanently kicked out of the U2 fanbase.

SATS new mix on the best of was the worst. That drum pattern just didn't fit, they destroyed a song that didn't even need to be remixed in the first place.

Can't agree at all with the single version of Please. It suffers the same fate as almost all redo's of their stuff. It gets softened up. Emotion gets lost. The single version loses a lot of the excellent guitar tone, the stark, pleading in Bono's vocals, and don't get me started on the strings. Gah, totally kills it.

Original of this and Gone are far superior IMO.

Each to their own. But for me, the strings are what make it.

I just listened to the album version for the first time in ages. It's alright actually, and better than what I remember. But I still prefer the single version loads more.

Back
Top Bottom