Since being a U2 fan is fairly painful right now, what is your favorite band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the verve, but that has nothing to do with what U2 is or isn't doing. they've been my favourite (well above U2) since college.

Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails. NIN was my very first favorite band, but I discovered U2 and then Radiohead in the long days between The Downward Spiral and The Fragile.

Certain eras of Pearl Jam, Genesis and Pink Floyd rank up there, and most recently CHVRCHES. Converge, ISIS and Cave In.

Neither are in my top 5, but with both releasing new music recently, I've listened to a ton of RHCP and The Killers in the past year.

Also looking forward to more new albums from each of them in the next several months. RHCP in October, The Killers in early 2023.
Really enjoying the late career renaissance for both bands.

Last edited:
the verve, but that has nothing to do with what U2 is or isn't doing. they've been my favourite (well above U2) since college.

Did you see that Ashcroft re-recorded 8 songs from Urban Hymns? I guess he wants the nine fans of his solo work to hear what those songs are like without the band that made them great. He redid everything except for This Time, Come On, the Rolling People, Catching the Butterfly and Neon Wilderness.

Don't you love our "justice" system. teenagers getting years for petty theft and millionaire lawyers running decades long tax scheme for millions of dollars gets 5 months, probably less in the end, and doesn't even need to give up any info.
I hate this country sometimes

Don't you love our "justice" system. teenagers getting years for petty theft and millionaire lawyers running decades long tax scheme for millions of dollars gets 5 months, probably less in the end, and doesn't even need to give up any info.
I hate this country sometimes

I'm not a fan of country either.

Don’t you love just our healthcare system? The one where a Hasidic Jewish family’s copay was $5 and mine for my son was $50 because they don’t marry legally, only in the temple, so they can do things like register the mother as single and on welfare…meanwhile the father is in the picture? What a country!

Did you see that Ashcroft re-recorded 8 songs from Urban Hymns? I guess he wants the nine fans of his solo work to hear what those songs are like without the band that made them great. He redid everything except for This Time, Come On, the Rolling People, Catching the Butterfly and Neon Wilderness.

oh cool i can't wait to hear new versions of a bunch of 30 year old songs remade by the artist in the way that they sound in 2022, said no U2 Verve fan ever.

Last edited:
Too many to name, but bands/artists with releases in 2021/22 that have caught my eye

Blossoms
Arcade Fire
The Lathums
Noah Gundersen
Gang of Youths
Sea Girls
Lana del Dey
Middle Kids
Julien Baker
Inhaler
The Snuts

At the moment, it has to be Nine Inch Nails. Ive been a fan for a very long time and the gig they performed a couple of months ago in a tiny venue in Glasgow was one, if not the best I've ever been to.

When working I tend to listen to instrumental music so they've obviously released a tonne of that over the last while as NiN and Trent & Atticus.

Current Acts With Great New Records And A Tremendous Live Show:

Alex G
Animal Collective
Beach House
HAIM
Japanese Breakfast
Purity Ring
St Vincent
War on Drugs - best live act on the planet
Wild Hearts Tour (Angel Olsen, Sharon Van Etten, Julien Baker)

And some other great live acts, skewing more “legacy”but still amazing:

Belle and Sebastian
Bright Eyes
LCD Soundsystem
Yo La Tengo

Going to ~100 shows this year and 5 days of music festivals. Plenty of awesome stuff out there, and frankly, a lot less work than going to U2 shows.

Last edited:
Going to ~100 shows this year and 5 days of music festivals. Plenty of awesome stuff out there, and frankly, a lot less work than going to U2 shows.

I have to say, I've been enjoying seeing a lot of different artists in different venues over the last 12 months or so and at the moment am pretty nonplused about going to see U2 again. Which is really, really weird to be feeling like this...

Being a U2 fan isn't that painful, all things considered.

Having Arcade Fire as your second-favourite band....now that's fucking painful.

I'm not embarrassed to be U2 fan. Irked sometimes. :lol:

My fave favorite bands (of which U2 is one) of all are
The Who
Springsteen & E Street
The Patti Smith Group
Midnight Oil

Then I'd say The B-52'S, Marshall Crenshaw, and Arcade Fire.
After that The Foo's, Green Day (from American Idiot)

There's other bands from the 2000's onwards of whom I really like, or love certain songs.
But wanting to go any of my top 5 bands once my income went meant paying back my sis thus foregoing chances to see other bands of the '00s onward - except
when Muse & Interpol were 2nd bill with U2. I was kind of disappointed w Interpol live. I really loved their single.
And Green Day gave a free concert on a street in Lower Manhattan for American Idiot. That was very cool.

Sometimes some bands I'd like to have seen where I could sit outside in the Summer - the temps were high ish to high but it was the humidity that kept me away.

Plus :mad: 3 Summer's of Covid.

At least I have WFUV-FM (Fordham U) to help me keep up w alt rock, and other music genres at times. ?

Back
Top Bottom