Should be severely punished...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gone and Discotheque are great. Staring at the Sun on POP I much prefer to the newer one.

Didnt Bono re-record his vocals for Gone?

If he did, then that's a shame, because the original vocal was much better.

Specifically the final "Goodbye...and it's emotional..." and the "I'll be Uppppp with the sun." These two moments truly make the song for me on the Pop album and they're both not great on the remix.

There's this bit at the end of the Gone on the POP album "I'll be up wit hthe sun, are you still holding on?" and Edge's guitar does this thing that is absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking...and it's been mixed out on the Best Of CD...

:no:

E-x-a-c-t-l-y.:applaud: Bono's voice is better represented in new mix but musical

representation has gotten worse in the new mix.

Any version of Discotheque without boom-chas is much worse...

BOOM-CHA!!

.... whoever mixed the POP album songs for BEST OF 1990-2000 album.

POP album versions of GONE, Staring at the Sun, Discotheque, NUMB{ of ZOOROPA } were absolutely butchered. If those MIXING butchers are still
around U2, they will permanently destroy U2.

Do you agree with me?

I like the remixed versions of "Gone" and "Discotheque" as they sound a bit more like the concert (i.e., live) versions. In this situation, instead of trying to make the concert version sound like the album version, they took the album version and tried to make it sound like the concert version. Interesting twist - and a good one.

"Numb" was always one of those "so-so" songs for me. Yet, for some reason, I found myself REALLY liking the "Best Of' version - so much so that I often listened to only that track! I'm not sure what I liked about it, but there have been times where I've liked a remix more than the original (e.g., I've always liked the Perfecto remix of "Lemon" more than the original).

As for "Staring at the Sun" - the remix did nothing for me. The ending was just dragged out, but it didn't really change the overall feel of the song. So this is one song where I do agree with you. When Larry stated that had SATS been remixed more, it could have been a #1 worldwide smash, I was thinking something completely different, not just a prolonged ending. It's a decent song, but hardly #1 material (at least in the U.S.).

So overall, I feel the remixes are good and flow more with the general U2 sound.

.... whoever mixed the POP album songs for BEST OF 1990-2000 album.

POP album versions of GONE, Staring at the Sun, Discotheque, NUMB{ of ZOOROPA } were absolutely butchered. If those MIXING butchers are still
around U2, they will permanently destroy U2.

Do you agree with me?

Yes, the original versions are much better.

I dislike those mixes too. Discothèque was turned into a regular rocker, they took the charm out of it and I particularly love the boom-chas (I think they are brilliant actually). Gone sounded wrong as well, it didn’t worked. And the Numb and Staring At The Sun remixes were completely unnecessary.

These aren’t just mixes, they’re re-workings. I can’t for the life of me understand why people like the Best Of Gone over the original. Any of the others have their varying merits one way or another, but they have just totally murdered the feeling of Gone on the Best Of. I do not understand that at all. If I had never read this forum before opening this thread, I would have just assumed that Best Of mix would be detested around here, but no…. To this day I genuinely find that shocking.

Back
Top Bottom