Setlist Parties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathalmc

Refugee
Hello hello!

I'm cobbling together some pieces for an upcoming volume about the 360 tour. I'm gonna include a section about setlist parties and I'd like to delve deep into Interference lore for the beginnings of such shenanigans.

Some questions for Interference oldies who can recall the dim past of previous tours:

1) When was the first setlist party?

2) When was the first 1000Mikes live stream from a show?

3) When was the first unofficial video stream?

4) Which were the most popular? (in terms of number of members tuning in and number of posts)

5) Which was the best - just to try to provoke some nostalgic debate? :)

(I still think the tour forums should never have been locked, but hey ho!)

1) No clue. They were definitely around for the Vertigo Tour; not sure about Elevation.

2) I believe that it was first used on the first 360 show, but I could be wrong.

3) I also remember a video stream on the first 360 show, but maybe there were earlier ones too.

4) Not sure, but leg openers, leg closers, shows that are officially broadcast (Rose Bowl, Sheffield, and Montréal 2, for example), and shows where new song debuts are likely are all quite popular.

5) Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein.

I got here in the Vertigo Tour time, and they were already here.

1000mikes was 360, yeah. Don't recall exactly when as I was avoiding setlist parties until my first show. But we had them in 2009 already.

Most popular: I'd guess opening night Barcelona or Barca 2. Electrical Storm got MAJOR traffic happening, that setlist party was chaotic. Every time you'd refresh, 5 more pages added.

For the best? Yeah, sorry I would have to agree with Digi :lol: Save The Whalers!

I remember lurking during the Vertigo days (didnt have an acct then) and they were around. The 360 ones were incredible to participate in though!

I remember Zooropa's 360 debut seeming to crash the place. No one could believe what we were hearing.

And of course, you can't have a setlist party without the ever-present memes. Elevation Squirrel, the MW belly dancer gifs...the list kept getting worse. I remember the CT remix always spawning a bunch of pictures of the 'bobbing heads' and then the gifs of the lads playfully spanking each other. :lol::lol: :wink:

I hope the band retires Elevation so we never have to see that stupid Elevation squirrel again in here.

#sorrynotsorry

Thanks digi, GG, CK and cori for your responses.

So the Vertigo tour is the most likely for the first setlist party. There are 73 pages of threads for setlist discussion in the Vertigo archive. I've had a look through it but they look like post-concert chat. Maybe knowledge of the first party has been intentionally lost :)

I've no idea to what the Kunstmuseum refers to, and I'm sorta afraid to ask ....

Fake setlist party that suckered in some poor souls into believing that U2 were playing in Lichtenstein at some tiny museum, and were playing rarer-than-rare tracks.

It generated a fair amount of both hilarity and ill will.

These are the Barca II threads. As you can see both 2nd and 3rd threads had video and audio sources. :lol: I had no recollecction that I started them all, damn. Must've been in charge for the night, lol. I'll have to check if there are more setlist parties with four threads, but I don't think many had more than 2.
Opening Night Barcelona 1 had more posts in the 4th thread.
Rose Bowl Pasadena DVD night had 3 threads.
For MOntreal 1&2 I found a 5th thread, but that's both nights.
The tour rehearsals for 2010 in Torino had 7 parts, but that's over a weeks' time. The gig itself had 3.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f312/barcelona-ii-setlist-party-198808.html

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...rt-ii-electrical-storm-was-played-198825.html

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...etlist-party-part-iii-198828.html#post6227659

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f312/barcelona-ii-setlist-party-part-iv-198831.html

Kunstmuseum:
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/u2-at-kunstmuseum-liechtenstein-right-now-184538.html

Retraction:
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/retraction-of-kunstmuseum-liechtenstein-184547.html

Seriously, if you've an hour of free time, both Kunstmuseum threads are worth reading. Especially the rebuttals are hilarious. Keep in mind that the gig was supposedly occuring at 3am in a land locked tiny principality wiith a completely ridiculous setlist. And people still bought it. :wink:

Thank you thank you for that research GG! I'll have a look at the Kunstmuseum party on a bus in the next few days ...

So Barcelona 1 is the winner with a monstrous 3701 posts. Can you imagine if they had sneaked in Bad or Zooropa? :)

Steved ruined the setlist parties, which was a bit of a shame. They were great fun.

Good to see you cathal! I had a dream about you the other night. Not really sure why.

To remind everyone of the glorious Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein setlist...

0. Intro: All You Need Is Love (Bono a cappella)
1. Beautiful Day / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Whaling (snippet)
2. No Line On The Horizon / Highway To Hell (snippet)
3. Vertigo / Stories For Boys (snippet) / She Loves You (snippet)
4. The Electric Co. / Bullet With Butterfly Wings (snippet) / Break On Through (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet)
5. 11 O'clock Tick Tock / Drowning Man (snippet)
6. MLK (snippet) / The Unforgettable Fire
7. She's A Mystery To Me
8. Flower Child
9. Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)
10. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
11. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)
12. Crumbs From Your Table / Electrical Storm (snippet)
13. Mercy
14. Exit / Riders On The Storm (snippet) / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
15. Please
16. Moby Dick (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name / Pride (snippet)

17. Mofo
18. The Fly / Billy Boola (snippet)
19. Desire / Not Fade Away (snippet) / So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star (snippet)
20. Angel Of Harlem / Suspicious Minds (snippet) / Young Liechtensteinians (snippet)
21. Fast Cars
22. Seconds

23. One (snippet) / One Tree Hill
24. Heartland
25. Bass Trap / Rowena's Theme (snippet)
26. A Sort Of Homecoming
27. Station to Station (snippet) / Bad / Let It Be (snippet) / Come Together (snippet) /Help! (snippet) / Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (snippet) / Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! (snippet) / Young Americans (snippet) / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (snippet) / The First Time (snippet) / Revolution 9 (snippet) / Drunk Chicken/America (snippet) / Norwegian Wood (snippet) /( Don't Fear) The Reaper (snippet) / John, I'm Only Dancing (snippet) / Gypsy Biker (snippet) / Candle in the Wind (snippet) / All Star (snippet) / Yellow Submarine (snippet) / "40" (snippet)

Classic! Bad is a concert within a concert.

I didn't realise No Line on the Horizon was known as a song / album title away back then.

I think we got the title from the Q magazine that got published in december, before the album date was pushed back. Nobody had a clue what the song sounded like though.

One of my favorite and most epic setlist party moments ever.... when U2 played Mercy. Absolute pandemonium/joy/wtf/shock/omg moment. :up::D

Embarrassing post incoming: What on earth is a setlist incoming? I'm a newcomer here so some explanation would be nice.

Looks like everybody gets together to post while a show is happening or something?

Yep, that's exactly it. There's usually someone at the show who is texting updates to someone who then posts it here (or people get updates from Twitter), and people chat and be silly etc etc. :)

Oh setlist parties, when will you see the light of day again? :wink: Loads of fun it was during U2360, can't wait for the next tour.

During 360, maybe mostly the second, Bionic-Bono half, most of the shows/parties had some sort of live feed to listen to as well. Many times we were hearing the show in real time with the fans who were there. Most of the live feeds don't sound all that great, but sometimes you get really amazing sounding ones, which is awesome.

Yep, that's exactly it. There's usually someone at the show who is texting updates to someone who then posts it here (or people get updates from Twitter), and people chat and be silly etc etc. :)

During 360, maybe mostly the second, Bionic-Bono half, most of the shows/parties had some sort of live feed to listen to as well. Many times we were hearing the show in real time with the fans who were there. Most of the live feeds don't sound all that great, but sometimes you get really amazing sounding ones, which is awesome.

Awesome, thanks! Really looking forward to the next tour. Will maybe try to drop in on a few of these!

Bionic-Bono.

And yeah, the live feeds were amazing. Even the underwater ones. Because we at least got SOMETHING to hold on to.

And kudos to everyone who (like my crazy self) would stay up all night or get up in the wee hours of the am to listen to the feeds and participate in the fun. It was one of my favorite Interference experiences, and I am so looking forward to them being a part of the next tour! :heart: :grouphug: :loveshower:

1) When was the first setlist party?

Not sure if they were around during Elevation.
But they were right from the start of Vertigo :

San Diego - March 28th 2005

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/as-we-sit-here-120363.html

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...3-28-san-diego-setlist-discussion-120372.html

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...d-for-tonight-thanks-interference-120679.html

At first it was just posting what other websites reported (@u2 or zootopia)
Then it was people from Interference getting texts or calls from friends or people they knew at the show.

First thread with setlist party in the title :

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/anaheim-i-setlist-watch-and-thread-party-121305.html

Back
Top Bottom