Setlist Parties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remain very proud of the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein.

Hello hello!

I'm cobbling together some pieces for an upcoming volume about the 360 tour. I'm gonna include a section about setlist parties and I'd like to delve deep into Interference lore for the beginnings of such shenanigans.

Some questions for Interference oldies who can recall the dim past of previous tours:

1) When was the first setlist party?

2) When was the first 1000Mikes live stream from a show?

3) When was the first unofficial video stream?

4) Which were the most popular? (in terms of number of members tuning in and number of posts)

5) Which was the best - just to try to provoke some nostalgic debate? :)

(I still think the tour forums should never have been locked, but hey ho!)

1. As Miri just posted, we had them from the start of Vertigo. Back in those days I made most of them, being at the height of my setlist obsession. I wasn't around for Elevation but from what I know, I don't think they were formalised - but that people did report back pretty quickly from the shows. I know Matthias usually had the set up straight away on U2gigs (or as it was then, elevation-tour.com).

2. The very first stream was run by gorman and me. Pretty much all the legwork and technological know-how was done by gorman, and it was during one of the North American legs of the Vertigo Tour. I honestly can't remember now which one, though my gut instinct is that it was early, during the first leg. They had really taken off by midway through Vertigo's third leg. On those primitive streams, we could only have a very limited number of people listening, and the connection cut out often; if you got accidentally booted, it could be really hard to reconnect. Sometimes they buffered like a mofo too.

3. We never achieved a video stream on Vertigo, though I remember talking with gorman about how we'd have that on the next tour.

4. Think this has already been covered sufficiently.

5. I'm sorry to all the 360 regulars, but those setlist parties generally weren't very good. If anything they were a victim of their own popularity by 360. I think the setlist parties peaked on the second leg and early stages of the third leg of the Vertigo Tour. There were some hilarious jokes. I forget exactly which party it was (pretty sure it was early third leg Vertigo though), but one of my top three Interference memories is the epic Wellington vs Auckland "war" waged by me and timothius. I laughed so hard I cried. My other two top moments, for the record, are the birth of the Superthread and Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein.

I remember some of those parties got a bit vitriolic and before long I renamed them the "Setlist Bitch and Thread Party" - which just led to even more bitching about the setlists and one of the mods stepped in to ask me to revert to the old "Setlist Watch and Thread Party" title. Over time that shortened of its own accord to "Setlist Party".

Has anyone given any thought to organizing a more efficient and better quality audio and/or video source for the set list parties? I'm sure with all the people who belong to "blue crack" (which is what my wife thinks is the name of this site....she just doesn't get it) around the world we could find a way to get someone broadcasting at every show. Especially with just about everyone having a smart phone!

I know I would volunteer for any of the shows I'm going to on the next tour if we had a system in place for broadcasting.

The audio cutting out was always depressing during the 360 shows.....:sad:

Has anyone given any thought to organizing a more efficient and better quality audio and/or video source for the set list parties? I'm sure with all the people who belong to "blue crack" (which is what my wife thinks is the name of this site....she just doesn't get it) around the world we could find a way to get someone broadcasting at every show. Especially with just about everyone having a smart phone!

I know I would volunteer for any of the shows I'm going to on the next tour if we had a system in place for broadcasting.

The audio cutting out was always depressing during the 360 shows.....:sad:

If there is any Austin show, it will likely be at my university's arena, which means that I will have access to my university's very high quality internet, and I could potentially send out a decent stream. I may not be the only one with such a situation.

5. I'm sorry to all the 360 regulars, but those setlist parties generally weren't very good. If anything they were a victim of their own popularity by 360. I think the setlist parties peaked on the second leg and early stages of the third leg of the Vertigo Tour.

I agree. I enjoyed participating in some of the 360 parties, but for the most part it was just pages and pages of irritating gifs.

... and this coming from someone who loves using clever gifs. :wink:

Eh, just different people and different styles and senses of humor, I guess. It just wasn't the same for me.

2. The very first stream was run by gorman and me. Pretty much all the legwork and technological know-how was done by gorman, and it was during one of the North American legs of the Vertigo Tour. I honestly can't remember now which one, though my gut instinct is that it was early, during the first leg. They had really taken off by midway through Vertigo's third leg. On those primitive streams, we could only have a very limited number of people listening, and the connection cut out often; if you got accidentally booted, it could be really hard to reconnect. Sometimes they buffered like a mofo too.

Yes, as I remember the first US audio stream to Interference was done with Gorman from my blackberry. It was the 1st Washington DC show during the 3rd leg of the Vertigo Tour.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/washington-dc-i-setlist-watch-and-party-143637.html

That thread is hilarious. Fun times!!

hi cathal

not enough time 2 rememer actaul SLP exactly

but for frustrating humour t

if no one has posted on it....

sometimes the feeds would be semi-bad and we'd "joke" about underwater feeds

and then a few times mysterious cut ins of all manner of stuff :hmm: automoblie horns people sounds maybe clapping BUT NO CONNECTION to what was going on on the feeds :lol::lol: :|

:D

Yes, as I remember the first US audio stream to Interference was done with Gorman from my blackberry. It was the 1st Washington DC show during the 3rd leg of the Vertigo Tour.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/washington-dc-i-setlist-watch-and-party-143637.html

That thread is hilarious. Fun times!!

Oh that's right! You were the source for a number of those early streams, weren't you? I thought the first stream was done by gorman when he was actually at a show, but that thread's pretty conclusive. Good find.

Looking back on it the limit of 64 listeners is pretty funny. I recall people very quickly started establishing mirrors so that more people could tune in. I think Khan regularly ran one of the mirrors...

Oh, and please excuse me, thanks to Miringeltje too! That's really helpful.

No problem.
You're welcome.

Hi Ax :wave:

Oh yes, Gorman!

The first audio received during the show (though not live, but before the end of the show) was from him : Walk on - Chicago September 20th 2005!

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...ost-u2-com-setlist-140270-15.html#post2936462

I agree. I enjoyed participating in some of the 360 parties, but for the most part it was just pages and pages of irritating gifs.

Eh, just different people and different styles and senses of humor, I guess. It just wasn't the same for me.

Thirded. They were all the same... Stupid gifs and batman logos. Sorry.

5. I'm sorry to all the 360 regulars, but those setlist parties generally weren't very good. If anything they were a victim of their own popularity by 360. I think the setlist parties peaked on the second leg and early stages of the third leg of the Vertigo Tour.

Me too.

It just wasn't the same for me.

My sentiments too.
Even though I enjoyed participating in both the Vertigo and 360 setlist parties.

If anything they were a victim of their own popularity by 360.

pages and pages of gifs.

Eh, just different people and different styles and senses of humor

Yeah, I'd say for Vertigo the group of people regularly participating was smaller.
Also the lack of (audio, picture, video) sources (or having only one source) left more room for actually interacting with other blue crackers.
(more connection).
There was no "race" of who would be first to post the next song and/or the gif that went with it.
Someone with a source would post the song title.
And then Lila64 would keep track of it in the numbered setlist.
Lila64 was also the gif-queen for the Vertigo setlist parties.
We just expected and kinda waited for her to post them.

For the 360 setlist parties, more people + having an audio live stream or video live stream may have indeed let to page after page of people posting the same song title as soon as the opening notes of the next played song were recognized and then page after page of the corresponding gif.
Which left less room for actual interaction.
Less connection.

I entirely concur. Well put, Miri. :up:

Also, people calling HMTMKMKM "Batman" was a serious pet peeve of mine.

Yes, as I remember the first US audio stream to Interference was done with Gorman from my blackberry.

Oh that's right! You were the source for a number of those early streams, weren't you? I thought the first stream was done by gorman when he was actually at a show, but that thread's pretty conclusive. Good find.

Looking back on it the limit of 64 listeners is pretty funny. I recall people very quickly started establishing mirrors so that more people could tune in. I think Khan regularly ran one of the mirrors...

Oh, it's all coming back to me now.
Thanks for opening this thread, cathal.
A nice trip down memorylane.

Hi dazz! :wave:

I entirely concur. Well put, Miri. :up:

Awh, thanks, Ax. ( :blush: )
Took me some time to put my Dutch thoughts to English words.

* Uh, I've been lurking so long I forgot some of the smilie codes. I could have sworn there was a blush or a shy smilie.*

Last edited:
Wow, looking back at those threads and seeing a lot of members names you don't see too much anymore - memory lane. The Gif's were irritating except for the Daffy Duck one, the first time I saw that one I almost fell outta my chair, does anyone else remember that one?

Wow, looking back at those threads and seeing a lot of members names you don't see too much anymore - memory lane. The Gif's were irritating except for the Daffy Duck one, the first time I saw that one I almost fell outta my chair, does anyone else remember that one?

I doubt anyone doesn't remember....

Interference definitely called that guy's church.

I think Khan regularly ran one of the mirrors...
the best setlist parties, of course. super well-attended, great pre- and post-concert music... :D

but yeah, i can't think if anything about the parties our logistics themselves that anyone hadn't already said. when i ran them, i usually did them through gorman's server. but a couple times the shows were so popular additional feeds were needed so i'd run one through my ip address.

my host didn't support this at all so i couldn't even use my own website, hilarious. i'm sure now it's a basic feature.

Back
Top Bottom