Seen better days haven't they?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shit happens.

Exactly, that simple statement kind of summarizes the whole issue very accurately :up:

And the original post didn't come across "light hearted" in any way. If it was supposed to be light-hearted, it was badly worded. It sounded more like doom and gloom to me. And yes, I have humour.

And it comes in quite a sensitive time. Many fans on this board have been feeling very badly about the whole situation and also very worried, so I don't think making a thread like this helps very much. Most of us try and stay positive and confident, there has been enough negativity going on on this board anyway. So yes, I consider the original post to be a bit unsensitive. Nothing against some light-hearted humour, thank God we've had some of that as well, but this thread, IMO, is just something we don't need in times like these when everything is so difficult anyway.

Bad year? NLOTH was their best album since AB - even sites that normally diss U2 loved it. It went Platinum in the US and was one of the best selling albums in the US and worlwide that was released in 2009. The tour was a mega-monster success and is my favorite so far. Yes, no BD type of hit single and Bono's back is out bit hardly a bad year. All artists would dream of Platinum albums and huge tours!

No surprises here.

The usual suspects have at it on what is thread worthy and what is and isn't criticism of U2 versus observation and Doctorwho comes through with reason!!

A beautiful thing, I must say.

The only misfortune for U2 of late was that they did not pick and promote the right single(Breathe or NLOTH 1 or 2) to sell the album up to THEIR standards and of course, Bono's injury.

I think a lot of people here want U2 to permanently become some abstract, rock us to sleep instead of rattling our chests Million Dollar Hotel meets Passengers band. I love both projects, but I am not for U2 going for that sound as a theme of an album/phase of their career.

Anyways, a lot of the above mentioned people thought, without hearing a note of course, that SOA was going to be that kind of album and are now frustrated that the concept has seemingly been shelved in favor of a new direction. They are projecting this personal frustration with what they perceive to be U2's direction onto the band's success/failure scorecard.

No more, no less.

The same people are presenting the b.s. argument that no SOA as they envisioned it in their own minds based on a few hints from U2 necessarily entails a return to ATYCLB/Bomb while completely forgetting the commercially successful and artistically brilliant War, UF, JT, R&H, AB/Zooropa eras.

It is really getting old.

And thats the end of the rant, sorry!

U2 has done fine by every objective standard.

They know the mistakes they made with NLOTH and its promotion, and I would bet any amount of money they will not be repeating them.

And the original post didn't come across "light hearted" in any way. If it was supposed to be light-hearted, it was badly worded. It sounded more like doom and gloom to me. And yes, I have humour.

I clearly put a laughing smiley at the end of the post. It's quite simple really. A casual observation, followed by a smiley laughing about the situation - which shows that it's not '"doom and gloom". If you can laugh about a situation, it makes it less depressing.

So whether you didn't see the humour or not, it should be obvious to everyone that I INTENDED it as light-hearted. Laughing about slight-misfortunes. If it was doom and gloom, I wouldn't be laughing my way through it!

The "doom and gloom" in my eyes comes from the posters that have taken this thread, and my OP, seriously!

Why oh why does this happen on these forums so often? This is why I don't post much. And I have been a member since 2003!

No surprises here.

The usual suspects have at it on what is thread worthy and what is and isn't criticism of U2 versus observation and Doctorwho comes through with reason!!

A beautiful thing, I must say.

The only misfortune for U2 of late was that they did not pick and promote the right single(Breathe or NLOTH 1 or 2) to sell the album up to THEIR standards and of course, Bono's injury.

I think a lot of people here want U2 to permanently become some abstract, rock us to sleep instead of rattling our chests Million Dollar Hotel meets Passengers band. I love both projects, but I am not for U2 going for that sound as a theme of an album/phase of their career.

Anyways, a lot of the above mentioned people thought, without hearing a note of course, that SOA was going to be that kind of album and are now frustrated that the concept has seemingly been shelved in favor of a new direction. They are projecting this personal frustration with what they perceive to be U2's direction onto the band's success/failure scorecard.

No more, no less.

The same people are presenting the b.s. argument that no SOA as they envisioned it in their own minds based on a few hints from U2 necessarily entails a return to ATYCLB/Bomb while completely forgetting the commercially successful and artistically brilliant War, UF, JT, R&H, AB/Zooropa eras.

It is really getting old.

And thats the end of the rant, sorry!

U2 has done fine by every objective standard.

They know the mistakes they made with NLOTH and its promotion, and I would bet any amount of money they will not be repeating them.

I like NLOTH because it isn't kiddie pop that floods the airwaves.

I like NLOTH because it isn't kiddie pop that floods the airwaves.

Of course.

I like it too, its their best since AB in my opinion.

Its not kiddie pop, but neither was JT or AB.

All I am saying is they know they screwed up the promotion that could have given it a big single and better sales.

You or I may not care about that, but U2 clearly does.

Bad year? NLOTH was their best album since AB - even sites that normally diss U2 loved it. It went Platinum in the US and was one of the best selling albums in the US and worlwide that was released in 2009. The tour was a mega-monster success and is my favorite so far. Yes, no BD type of hit single and Bono's back is out bit hardly a bad year. All artists would dream of Platinum albums and huge tours!

and I like you...doctorwho !! :up:

They lacked a good lead single.

Otherwise they had lots of promotion: Grammys/Brits/Echo, Letterman, BBC=U2, Good Morning America, Blacberry ad...

They lacked a good lead single.

Otherwise they had lots of promotion: Grammys/Brits/Echo, Letterman, BBC=U2, Good Morning America, Blacberry ad...

Exactly what I have been saying.

The choice of and lack of promotion of GOYB did them in.

NLOTH or Breathe and promote the hell out of it would have worked.

Back
Top Bottom