RSD Black Friday 2020 - Have we hit a new low?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
Boy 40th anniversary edition on white vinyl.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13260

This is probably the laziest thing they’ve ever done for a release. They aren’t even trying anymore.

Better ideas for this year’s RSDBF:

- Boy live - a celebration of songs from Boy for its 40th anniversary
- a Boy tour concert
- Boy on white vinyl WITH A DISC OF THE EXTRAS THEY RELEASED ON CD IN 2008
- I Will Follow 12” 40th with new live tracks as a b side
- A Day Without Me 40th with live tracks
- Before Boy - a selection of demos and outtakes that became the debut album
- Passengers 25th anniversary edition
- the Joshua Tree live from the upcoming film Heartland
- Live in Berlin 2018
- literally anything else

Last edited:
?????????????

Anton Corbijn directed film about the JT tour. It’s the concert plus a doco including the first ever live performance of Heartland at the site of the tree in Death Valley.

Bono mentioned all of that in a recent interview. U2songs had a story about it but not sure of release date yet. Was going to be a theatrical release and then Covid happened.

Anton Corbijn directed film about the JT tour. It’s the concert plus a doco including the first ever live performance of Heartland at the site of the tree in Death Valley.

Bono mentioned all of that in a recent interview. U2songs had a story about it but not sure of release date yet. Was going to be a theatrical release and then Covid happened.

thanks. :wave:

I don't think its so lazy. Lot of bands are always reaching to put something out on RSD and are content with a 'colored vinyl'. With only 10,000 copies I'm sure it'll get snagged up. RSD is more for the collectors now.

Thought it made sense myself considering Boy is 40 years old

I’ll definitely be trying to get it to add to my collection

I don't mind color ones.

Though, I was hoping they'd do a release with the ATYCLB b-sides/outtakes disc.

Yeah I have an original but maybe I'll get this.

It's sometimes hard to tell which RSD releases will actually be highly sought after and which will still be available months later, sometimes discounted. I got HMTMKMKM a few months after for like $10.

10,000 copies could mean it'll be available after, though not necessarily. The Alternate Rumours by fleetwood mac seems hard to find and had around 16,000 pressed. Though Rumours is still a massive album that's constantly on the Billboard charts. Then people went crazy for the Pearl Jam Unplugged which I think was pressed around 13k.

Side note, I think the Alternate versions of Fleetwood Mac studio albums is a cool way to do something a little different for RSD, with the regular running order using demos or outtakes.

I’ve ordered a copy as my vinyl of Boy was an original which is more than a bit tatty now, but I won’t get this one until midweek.

I might pick this up since I don't have the remastered LP any my original copy is starting to show its age.

Really really enjoyed the Boy 40th Anniversary special on the Sirius XM U2 Channel. Great interviews with the Steve’s (Lillywhite and Averill). Check it out!!

Store near me having a 25% off sale on all vinyl this weekend, they had two copies left, so picked it up for $22. People on discogs also said it's a clean, good pressing.

Another year, another RSD. This year’s offering is a 12” of Fire with a very stylish pic from the early 80s on one side. Not sure how many they pressed of this, but I noticed a few places had sold out of it by the time they came up for online sale which was definitely not the case with other recent RSD releases they’ve done.

https://www.u2songs.com/images/disco/_full/fire-02-rsd.jpg

‘Fire’ was originally released as the first single from U2’s second album October in July 1981, with J Swallow as the b-side. This 40th anniversary picture disc edition includes both tracks on side A, plus two live recordings of ‘Fire’ on side B - from Werchter in Belgium in July 1982 and from a BBC recording at the Hammersmith Palais in London in December 1982. All tracks have been newly remastered.

Picture Disc Info • 4 track 12” EP, cut at 45 rpm • Picture disc pressing, with ‘fire’ imagery on Side A and a full colour band photo from the early 80s by Martyn Goddard on Side B • Transparent heavyweight PVC outer sleeve • Sticker with credits

Another year, another RSD. This year’s offering is a 12” of Fire with a very stylish pic from the early 80s on one side. Not sure how many they pressed of this, but I noticed a few places had sold out of it by the time they came up for online sale which was definitely not the case with other recent RSD releases they’ve done.

https://www.u2songs.com/images/disco/_full/fire-02-rsd.jpg

I think it was 7,500. Much less than others. I paid the same price as the recent black re-presses of Pop and Achtung Baby though…

I take it back, there's loads available from sellers on Discogs for RRP. And it looks like they hit #1 on the vinyl charts in the UK, so it was a popular release!

U2 are again participating in the RSD Black Friday event. The release is a 12" of Gloria with, apart from the studio version, three exclusive live versions. These live versions (never officially released on a physical format before) are from Dublin 1989 (or rather, the January 1st 1990 concert), Boston 2005 and London 2015.

https://www.u2songs.com/news/gloria_for_record_store_day_black_friday
• 4-track 12” EP, cut at 45 rpm
• Pressed on 180gsm transparent sun yellow vinyl
• Full color gatefold outer sleeve with high gloss finish, featuring portraits of the band
• Large poster (600mm x 600mm, folded) with montage of photos from the various live shows across the decades

Just received an email about the gloria release from U2.com,it said at the end of the email more exciting news about an anniversary coming soon. Achtung y'all.

35th anniversary Joshua Tree box set with nothing new except an alternate mix of a couple songs and a different live show.

Its that time again... I really like what they've been doing with the recent releases of Gloria and Fire, both in terms of track choice and artwork etc.

Back
Top Bottom