[RS] 13 Tours We'd Like To See In 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super Yo

New Yorker
I believe almost everyone will agree with this article.

U2 arena tour

There's no possible way for U2 to top the size and scope of their 2009-2011 stadium tour. It grossed $736,000,000 over 110 shows. That's a record that may never be broken. They shouldn't even try. When their next album hits in 2013, they should go back to arenas instead. It also might be time to drop some war horses from the set lists. Sure, "Where The Streets Have No Name" should be played at every U2 gig until the end of time, but maybe we've heard "Pride (In The Name of Love)," "With or Without You," "New Years Day," "Mysterious Ways" and "One" enough times. They're all great songs, but they've been played to death.

It would be even more exciting if U2 considered actually rotating their set lists from night to night. Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen shows are so thrilling because you never know what's coming next. An act with as deep a back catalog as U2 should at least set aside a few slots per night where they mix it up – maybe bring back early favorites like "Drowning Man" or "The Refugee," or forgotten 1990s tunes like "Acrobat" or "Gone."

At this stage in U2's career, it might be tempting to just keep flogging the same old hits in stadiums for enormous sums of money. They need to resist that temptation at all costs.

Read more: 13 Tours We'd Like To See In 2013: U2 arena tour | Rolling Stone

I don't know what's more weird, Rolling Stone acknowledging Acrobat's existence (RS got hived) or calling The Refugee an early favorite.

In any case, they're preaching to the choir here. Nice to see some support for this kind of a scenario outside of the usual U2 fandom. It probably won't happen though, despite what Bono said about going deeper into the catalogue next time around. Liar.

Are we entirely clear that one of us didn't write this?

Anyway, obviously I agree with it completely.

Please to dear god NO :yikes:

If they go Arena tour here, getting tickets will be a disaster. Stadiums are much easier. They can do Arena's in the US, fine by me. But not in Europe!

Fuck no, I'd do an European arena tour in a heartbeat.

Galeongirl said:

If they go Arena tour here, getting tickets will be a disaster. Stadiums are much easier. They can do Arena's in the US, fine by me. But not in Europe!

I may be alone on this, but I'd prefer stadiums to arenas in 'murka, too.

I get your point and it's also one of my worries. For all the talk that U2 should tour smaller places (arenas, theatres, clubs!), getting a ticket will be much harder. In the end I want U2 to tour places I can get a ticket to. If that's a stadium, I'm fine with that.

Yes, it's all good when their next tour is on a smaller scale, but how's that any good if you cannot see them as you lost out on tickets?

I get your point and it's also one of my worries. For all the talk that U2 should tour smaller places (arenas, theatres, clubs!), getting a ticket will be much harder. In the end I want U2 to tour places I can get a ticket to. If that's a stadium, I'm fine with that.

Yes, it's all good when their next tour is on a smaller scale, but how's that any good if you cannot see them as you lost out on tickets?

Exactly that. :) We know the demand here is insane, I mean, their last stadium tour in Amsterdam sold out in what, 50 minutes? Imagine what an Arena tour would be for ticketing disaster.

i honestly would rather try for an arena gig and lose out if i couldn't get tickets, than endure the horror of a stadium gig :crack:

i wouldn't even attempt to buy tix for a stadium gig if they did them next time round actually... i've seen them more than enough times anyway (5 times in total since AB - ok i know that pales in comparison with some of you diehards lol)

Whatever kind of tour they decide to do, I'd like to seem them throw a few club dates in for the diehard fanclub fans. Then broadcast one of these club shows on the internet like they did the Rose Bowl concert. That could work out well for them and the fans.

What's so horrible about stadium gigs?

they're too big - i really don't enjoy seats because everything is so far away and you can't see a thing apart from on the screens, and standing is a nightmare because i'm a shortie and cannot see a thing either, unless i'm near the front which i haven't got the time or energy or desire to queue for these days... in the past i've sprinted and got lucky which was fantastic...

also hate being crushed, trod on and elbowed in the head, having beer spilt on me, having bottles of piss flying over my head, not being able to move around freely and spending the day and night taking tiny sips of water so as not to collapse from dehydration, and i particularly hate being desperate to pee and having to hold on for hours and hours and hours and hours

i'm too old for these shenanigans... would much rather stay at home in me slippers in front of a cosy fireplace with a nice big glass of wine and a bar of chocolate and put a dvd on than go thru that again LOL

but arenas are cool though :D

Ah, guess that's the difference then. :D I'm usually on the railing somewhere, be it front row or the walkway. And I guess I'm more used to the GA'ing, and don't mind all that shite. Being tall is a perk too, though at home I'm more average.

Fun to be at Italian or French gigs though. ;) Towering over most people.

Fuck stadium tours. I may honestly not even go if they do one again.

As for the rest of RS's list, I can not agree more about David Bowie doing the right thing and giving us a farewell tour.

For those of you worried about getting tickets to an arena tour - I struggle to think of a serious U2 fan on Interference missing out completely on a tour. We've always found ways to get to shows, even when there was the huge presale fuck-up on the first leg of Vertigo and the general sales disappeared in a heartbeat. Trades, later ticket drops, friends on here buying multiples, all that sort of thing seemed to have sorted out Interferencers; even if they haven't got their first preference show, they've got in the door for at least one other.

Bring on the arena tour! Since it means more multiple nights in places, it means 1. more shows and 2. probably more setlist variation.

(Though can we actually have a small club tour with tickets sold just via Interference - or U2gigs? :wink: )

That really does sound like the writing of someone from Interference. Funny.

I also like the mention of The Refugee as an "early favourite" - yeah right. Trolling, anyone?

(Though can we actually have a small club tour with tickets sold just via Interference - or U2gigs? :wink: )

Somebody ask The Edge, he still visits here occasionally right?

I wish they'd tour Australia in arena's next time and just have like 3-4 shows at Rod Laver Arena and places of that size. I still think the next tour will be stadiums for europe, arena's for America (then maybe a second run at stadiums) and probably stadiums rest of the world. This is U2 we're talking about. They don't often change things up that much.

The whole Arenas/Stadiums/Clubs/Flat bed trucks idea would be nice though.

There are always ways to get tickets, if you really want to, based on personal experience.

360 was my least favourite tour (apart from that final leg), so that could easily be topped in my book.

djerdap said:
360 was my least favourite tour (apart from that final leg), so that could easily be topped in my book.

I think u2girl means they wouldn't be able to top how huge the tour was.its the biggest tour ever and will never be topped.

Back
Top Bottom