Royalties for covering U2 songs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
Let's say my band has a gig and somewhere in the middle of it we play a Mysterious Ways cover. I'm not talking about a gig consisting entirely of covers, just that we throw that one in somewhere.

I assume we would have to pay someone at U2 or Principal Management to do this legally - how much would the royalty be and who do you actually pay it to?

The only way you would need to pay a royalty is if you recorded it and sold a live album, for which you would need permission before selling, otherwise you're fine...

If this was the case all those poor tribute bands would be broke.

Let's say my band has a gig and somewhere in the middle of it we play a Mysterious Ways cover. I'm not talking about a gig consisting entirely of covers, just that we throw that one in somewhere.

I assume we would have to pay someone at U2 or Principal Management to do this legally - how much would the royalty be and who do you actually pay it to?
Paul McGuine$$ personally will turn up to your gig and rip the dosh off ya.

When doing covers at "events", just remember that there are certain songs that are inappropriate. For example, at the funeral of someone who died of Asthma, do not play Berlin's "Take My Breath Away". Likewise, at the funeral of someone who died after stepping into an empty elevator shaft, do not cover Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'". Similarly, at any one of several funerals for a large family of brothers and sisters, do not perform "Another One Bites The Dust".

Paul McGuine$$ personally will turn up to your gig and rip the dosh off ya.

"where's my money!"

34E7FA64-6F97-11DB-9AC4-F4A7242849F0.flv.jpg

When doing covers at "events", just remember that there are certain songs that are inappropriate. For example, at the funeral of someone who died of Asthma, do not play Berlin's "Take My Breath Away". Likewise, at the funeral of someone who died after stepping into an empty elevator shaft, do not cover Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'". Similarly, at any one of several funerals for a large family of brothers and sisters, do not perform "Another One Bites The Dust".

To be honest I don't exactly plan on doing a lot of funerals

Although I was once at a wedding where the band played "Let's call the whole thing off"

Seriously

You say ee-there, and I say eye-there
You say nee-there and I say nie-there
ee-there! Eye-there!
Nee-there! Nie-there!
LET'S CALL THE WHOLE THING OFF...

*badum, bump bump*

Back
Top Bottom