Rolling Stone Readers Pick The Top 10 Best U2 Songs:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a boring list. They could have just as easily named it U2's biggest hits.

It's got Bad and All I Want Is You, plus it's got nothing shitty like Elevation to ruin it.

I'm surprised, and glad, that AIWIY made the list.

Most of these songs are hits that I've heard so many times that I really don't appreciate them anymore. I don't know if I'm necessarily tired of them, but I would have a hard time ranking them and determining how "good" they are since they're so familiar. Actually, I have trouble ranking any of U2's music into a list because it's all so different.

U2's best song isn't even in this list. I doubt the readers of Rolling Stone even know it. :wink:

Yes, because music is objective and everyone has the same favourite songs.

one being at #1 makes me physically ill.

According to me SUBJECTIVE opinion, One is indeed U2's best song and one of the best songs ever written by anybody.

Yes, because music is objective and everyone has the same favourite songs.

According to me SUBJECTIVE opinion, One is indeed U2's best song and one of the best songs ever written by anybody.

Hence the :wink: emoticon.... shows that I'm quite obviously joking.

And when is an opinion ever not subjective? It's an opinion, after all.

Oh and One is overrated. There, a very objective opinion. Oh wait. That's not possible. :wink:

unbearably sappy AIWIY

Incorrect. The slow progression from the material to the immaterial, the desire for love to simply "last with me with through the night" is extremely dark and strips away all the bloated, sentimental promises that truly sappy love songs hang their hat on. In the last chorus, it's revealed that the narrator thinks all the promises will be broken anyway. And can't you hear how it's delivered? The vocal is positively harrowing.

This isn't featherweight music. If you want schlock, ATYCLB and HTDAAB have at least three tracks each that push the envelope in that regard.

personally I wouldn't have put One on #1
but it's hard to argue this list much, all classics

What I don't understand is why it has to be all of the 'already popular' U2 songs to make the list. Why don't they go out on a limb and throw out some of the lesser known but still awesome U2 songs? If all they know are the popular songs then I don't consider their opinion to be all that valid...

Yeah I know, but Rolling Stone readers too. It's not *that* surprising that the 'best of' list is just basically 'best known'.

Back
Top Bottom