Rolling Stone Readers Pick The Top 10 Best U2 Songs:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're right, I would just like to be surprised for once when it comes to people having the power to choose U2's top 10 best songs and all that. Is it strictly limited to the best known maybe?

one being at #1 makes me physically ill.

Agreed...

I think they put it up there for the sake of the pun...

I'm actually really surprised that with the usual greatest-hits-listening population voting (we assume), Streets isn't number 1. It was my number 1 before I knew very much about U2, and very nearly still is...

Also, where is Mysterious Ways? That same audience has probably heard at least that out of Achtung Baby, not just One.

pah, fiddlesticks...

everyone knows these are U2's Top 10 songs and some

22b8096303aa5a245792e882802a24745ca0da41.png

Very predictable list IMO. It is more or less typical list a casual-fan would create, I think!

For background this poll was conducted via Rolling Stone's twitter and facebook feeds and linked to their website and was asking for U2's best song. Only one song.

So it's not surprising that based on that polling sample it's the hits. That said, I'd wager there are a number of hardcore U2 fans that would pick Streets as their all time favorite song. I myself waffle between Streets, Bad and AIWIY however expanding the listing out you'd find Stay, HMTMKMKM, Mofo, Zooropa (moved up this year) and ASOH so I hope I don't lose my crazy U2 fan-card.

For background this poll was conducted via Rolling Stone's twitter and facebook feeds and linked to their website and was asking for U2's best song. Only one song.

So it's not surprising that based on that polling sample it's the hits. That said, I'd wager there are a number of hardcore U2 fans that would pick Streets as their all time favorite song. I myself waffle between Streets, Bad and AIWIY however expanding the listing out you'd find Stay, HMTMKMKM, Mofo, Zooropa (moved up this year) and ASOH so I hope I don't lose my crazy U2 fan-card.

We've had such polls, and Streets has also been voted best U2 song by Interferencers. :wink: Yes, One was I think second or third.

If that is the case then I'm really glad AIWIY made it. This is a song that a lot of people think is one of their best but not the best.

I actually think the list is pretty good - in fact it contains at least 5 songs that I would place in my own top 10.

It is possible to be a huge U2 fan (which I do consider myself to be) and like their biggest hits at the same time :)

Oh my do these people not even know how often PITNOL is in the setlists? :wink:

Not a big surprise or anything though.

First of all, Goddamn all your acronyms

Secondly, One is pretty good, incase anyone was in the dark about that. This is like that "Y so much Achtung" thread.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/alphabetized-list-of-u2-song-acronyms-146467.html
:wink:

And One is pretty good, but IMO it's not even amongst the best songs on Achtung Baby. And that thread was ridiculed enough already I think. because it was pretty much ridiculous in the first place. :wink:
The problem I have with this list is that One is the ONLY 90s track in there..It says enough about the age of the RS readers who voted for this.

Well, that list is completely unsurprising. For alot of radio stations, about the only U2 they play is '80's U2 - Pride, Desire, New Year's Day, etc. I guess it's safe enough. About the only one I'm surprised to not see on there is Mysterious Ways. I do have to agree that One is their best song overall, simply for recognizability reasons. 100 years from now, it'll probably still be considered their 'signature song'.

goat

I had expected a far worse list, so I was pleasantly surprised. I hadn't expected that Bad would be ranked that high. Maybe too many 80s songs, but an okay list in my opinion.

I love the list from 2009. Actually it looks a lot like how my top 20 would be, with a few exceptions of course. I love Bad being first, and that Acrobat and Lemon made the top 20.

Back
Top Bottom