Rock Band and U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same here. :drool: I enjoy playing Rock Band, it's a fun game. (And no, there is no comparison to playing that and playing a musical instrument, 2 completely different things people!!)

You know, I think one of the first threads I made here was about U2 in Rock Band. Nice to see it might finally be happening!
Okay, dream setlist time!

BOY:
I Will Follow
The Electric Co.

OCTOBER:
Gloria

WAR:
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Drowning Man
"40"

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE:
A Sort Of Homecoming
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Wire
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad

THE JOSHUA TREE:
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With Or Without You
Bullet The Blue Sky

RATTLE AND HUM:
Desire

ACHTUNG BABY:
Zoo Station
One
Until The End Of The World
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Ultraviolet

ZOOROPA
Zooropa
Numb
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

POP
Discothèque
Mofo
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND
Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Elevation
Walk On

HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB
Vertigo
Love And Peace Or Else
City of Blinding Lights
Fast Cars

NO LINE ON THE HORIZON:
No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Get On Your Boots
Breathe

You have NO IDEA how hard it was to get this down to 45 songs. :lol:

EDIT: Holy crap, this game could look AMAZING if they decide to recreate U2's tour stages. In particular, I DEMAND to be able to:
-Play "The Fly" with subliminal messages flashing in the background.
-See Bono dressed as MacPhisto at some point during Zoo TV.
-Have the band come out of the Lemon at the end of the POPmart set.
-Play COBL on the U2 360 tour. Complete with searchlights.

:drool::drool::drool:

If you have played The Beatles:Rock Band you would know that difficulty of the note charts is not an issue if the game is well-made. Considering B:RB is beyond question the easiest music game I have ever played in my life, and yet still incredibly fun. You can practically 100% every song on expert in the game in a sitting but it doesn't matter because the songs are great and the dreamscapes are superb.

I knew it would take The Beatles having a video game (and it being a success) to get Bono and the rest of the band interested in ever putting themselves in one as well. :lol:

People are saying only Rock Band could pull it off, but that's just fanboy talk. Neversoft could easily make the same type of game if pressured by the band. Obviously they just never have been told by people like Metallica or Aerosmith to do anything like that. U2 would have a higher standard if a developer wanted their music/likeness/etc for a game.

Also if Rock Band got it, they would need to do what GH does and put the band through facial scanning and mo-cap sessions to get an authentic experience of U2 live. That is where the band really lives. I wouldn't want it to be cartoonified like the Beatles characters in their game, or have the same generalized movements. I wanna see Edge's stomps and jumps, Adam's one-handed playing, and Bono's lunging at the crowd.

People are saying only Rock Band could pull it off, but that's just fanboy talk. Neversoft could easily make the same type of game if pressured by the band. Obviously they just never have been told by people like Metallica or Aerosmith to do anything like that. U2 would have a higher standard if a developer wanted their music/likeness/etc for a game.

A company that produces one game a year is obviously gonna put more work into the game than one that releases half a dozen a year. Neversoft have always been more interested in quantity. Which is probably why u2 weren't interested in it until the Beatles game was made :shrug:

Harmonix is just as interested in making money as any other game developer. Lets not glorify them.

And don't even get me started on the absurdity of the "overcharting" "undercharting" debate.

Harmonix is just as interested in making money as any other game developer. Lets not glorify them.

And don't even get me started on the absurdity of the "overcharting" "undercharting" debate.

They're more interested in doing it a different way, HMX are more a release a game and make money through add-ons like DLC. While Neversoft are more a release a game, and save the best songs for the next game that'll come out several months later.

Either way I have my reasons for preferring HMX make the game, one being we'd have a chance at getting more U2 songs released for the game than just what's on disc and maybe one extra album. I personally prefer the look for the RB games, I find the GH interface just plain ugly (are you getting shot at by the crowd for playing badly? :wink:) Plus what they do with musicians who give them their likenesses is just in bad taste a lot of the time

If you have played The Beatles:Rock Band you would know that difficulty of the note charts is not an issue if the game is well-made. Considering B:RB is beyond question the easiest music game I have ever played in my life, and yet still incredibly fun. You can practically 100% every song on expert in the game in a sitting but it doesn't matter because the songs are great and the dreamscapes are superb.

I knew it would take The Beatles having a video game (and it being a success) to get Bono and the rest of the band interested in ever putting themselves in one as well. :lol:

Also if Rock Band got it, they would need to do what GH does and put the band through facial scanning and mo-cap sessions to get an authentic experience of U2 live. That is where the band really lives. I wouldn't want it to be cartoonified like the Beatles characters in their game, or have the same generalized movements. I wanna see Edge's stomps and jumps, Adam's one-handed playing, and Bono's lunging at the crowd.

THIS.
Oh, and I'm sure Harmonix would go the mo-cap route. They actually did some mo-cap for B:RB, albeit with members of tribute bands filling in for George and John.

On a semi-related note, the New York Times had an incredibly awesome article on Beatles: Rock Band a while back. Definite must-read if you're interested in the Beatles, Rock Band, or just the music and/or video game industries in general. Suffice it to say, when Harmonix goes all-out, they GO ALL-OUT.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/magazine/16beatles-t.html?_r=2

I agree that RB has had much better downloadable additions to their libraries than GH.

I could live with everything else GH would do but if it's RB that means we'd get more U2 than is on the disc which well would be awesome. I'd expect War, JT and AB full download at least if it was a RB game. If they had a new album out you'd probably get that for GH maybe

Oh, man, full albums as DLC would be too awesome. I would totally download JT and AB. And TUF. And Pop...actually, you know what? Harmonix, if you would just put up everything from War onward up for download, that'd be great. Thanks.

The Fly would be an incredible crown jewel for this sort of game, I must admit. And I'd love to play Ultraviolet.

My brother is a big Guitar Hero fan, not much a U2 fan, but he also said The Fly would be a highlight to play. Especially the drums.

BOY:
I Will Follow
The Electric Co.

OCTOBER:
Gloria

That's all from these albums? Nearly every song on Boy would be epic on Rock Band. October is a bit of a mixed bag instrumentally, but Rejoice would be amazing.

U2 wants their own video game.

According to Nme.com, U2 may follow in the footsteps of other artists by having their own installment of the Rock Band video game series.

The band had discussions with MTV Games and Electronic Arts last year, but a deal wasn't made because an agreement could not be reached. But with the release of several music video games in the past month, bassist Adam Clayton said the U2 game could still be made.

"We definitely would like to be in there," said Clayton. "But we felt some of the compromises weren't what we wanted. That could change. I love the idea that that's where people are getting music and we'd love to be in that world."

When asked about The Beatles having their own version, the bassist did state they have had an influence on their request.

"What The Beatles have done, where the animation is much more representative of them, is what we’re interested in, rather than the one-size-fits-all animation," said Clayton. "We didn't want to be caricatured."

Bring it on i say!!!!!!:drool:

it would be interesting to see how they did the game. live aid,zoo tv, 360 stage etc. I had a question for anyone that has played these games. how do they do the keyboard/various sounds for these games? Like if they did u2 for rock band, how do you think one would play mofo/crazy live remix/daddys gonna pay? play drums and the additional sounds play on their own? or would the drummer have to play the techno percussion? or edges various effects? new years day piano? bad's keyboard backing? How about bullet the blue sky live version? what bono rant would they use? lol. (and how strange would that be to "sing" that in front of group of friends having a good time,lol) would the rock band drummer and basset have to switch instruments during 40,lol? Will the the remixes of famous songs be used? (play drums on that!).

I had a question for anyone that has played these games. how do they do the keyboard/various sounds for these games? Like if they did u2 for rock band, how do you think one would play mofo/crazy live remix/daddys gonna pay? .

If there's no guitar, anything goes in regards to what the guitarist plays. For example in Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz you play a harmonica solo on guitar. Basically if there's no guitar for a lot of the song piano, or something else will be charted to guitar. If there's no bass, you'd play organ or strings or something. Drums would be basically any percussion that would feel natural, ie if it's just electronics that'd be charted but electronics/regular drums wouldn't be done at the same time for fear of confusion

And cowbell is charted to the vocalist :wink:

how do they do the keyboard/various sounds for these games? Like if they did u2 for rock band, how do you think one would play mofo/crazy live remix/daddys gonna pay? play drums and the additional sounds play on their own? or would the drummer have to play the techno percussion? or edges various effects? new years day piano? bad's keyboard backing? How about bullet the blue sky live version? what bono rant would they use? lol. (and how strange would that be to "sing" that in front of group of friends having a good time,lol) would the rock band drummer and basset have to switch instruments during 40,lol? Will the the remixes of famous songs be used? (play drums on that!).

Pretty much what the post above says. But also to be more specific and clarify, the game plays the song as you hear it if you were listening to a CD. You don't recreate the song piece by piece or effect by effect. The developers use masters of each track if they can get them or create covers (though rarely anymore since popularity has risen they can afford the real stuff). So as the song plays you're just strumming and hitting buttons and nothing else is required. The effects, pedals, switches, loops, and whatnot are already present because it's the original music coming out as it does on the studio recordings. You just have to follow along.

I so hope they do this! Our whole family plays RockBand (I only sing) and I would love to sing songs I actually like! :hyper:

I had a question for anyone that has played these games. how do they do the keyboard/various sounds for these games? Like if they did u2 for rock band, how do you think one would play mofo/crazy live remix/daddys gonna pay? play drums and the additional sounds play on their own? or would the drummer have to play the techno percussion? or edges various effects? new years day piano? bad's keyboard backing?

I believe U2 want this game to be as true to life as possible, so one of your friends will have to anonymously sit in your basement and control or play those parts from there.

actually im just bitter cause i can play real guitar but suck at the video games :lol:

i dont give a shit if people play them or not, i just think they are silly, thats all :shrug:

There are musicians in famous bands that play these games. They suck at them too, but they still enjoy them.

Also, I do play guitar... very badly, but I play guitar. I'd rather not spend hours trying to learn a famous song. Don't have the patience. Heck, even for my own originals, I don't play the same thing each time. My songs always sound different. I'm all about improvisation, not learning notes and chords.

Back
Top Bottom