RIP Larry Mullen Sr.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad news. I hope they delay the tour and give Larry enough time to grieve. Have never seen a picture of Larry's father. Wonder what he looked like.

Sad to hear, and strange timing. Thanks for giving Larry those 500 pounds. Rest in peace, Mullen Sr.

God Bless Larry Mullen Sr. and the entire Mullen family/friends.

How terrible!! I hope he does what is best for himself and his family and I hope there is no judgment from folks on whatever he decides. I went to work after a pretty traumatic death not
because I wasn't sad but because it was the only way I could cope as strange as it may sound.

Much love to Larry and his family during this heartbreaking time

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

How terrible!! I hope he does what is best for himself and his family and I hope there is no judgment from folks on whatever he decides. I went to work after a pretty traumatic death not because I wasn't sad but because it was the only way I could cope as strange as it may sound.

Much love to Larry and his family during this heartbreaking time

This!
Well said, Outsider.

Really, really sucks for Larry, especially since the tour is right around the corner. What awful timing. I hope he makes the right decision for himself and his family, whatever that may be.

RIP

There's that pic from "U2 by U2" book, I think, of the "band shot" of the U2 dads, dressed in suits, holding their sons' instruments. I LOVE that pic. You can see the amazing resemblance between Bono and Bob, and Edge and Garvin Evans, especially. Larry seems to look like his dad too.

Hope someone can find and link this.

At least Larry Sr was 92 and lived a long full life. I hope too the band will do what is best. Not everyone can be Bono at Slane Castle.

Not an ideal way to start a world tour. Condolences to the Mullen family and of course Larry and the band. I'm sure all of the band's parents were parents to all of the boys.

Via AtU2:
u2dads.jpg

Via Interference:
U2FathersAC.jpg

U2fathersLarryJrLarrySrMullenACDubl.jpg

So so sad for Larry and the Mullen family :sad: :hug:

I hope he can handle all the pressure right now and I'm sure he finds great comfort in the band community and will be very much supported by his mates.

I guess these will be very emotional shows coming up.

Think the fact this has happened while he was away rehearsing may also got him hard, not being able to say goodbye etc

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Larry Mullen's father has died aged 92 - RTÉ Ten

The father of U2 drummer Larry Mullen Jr. has died at the age of 92.

Laurence Joseph Mullen Sr., who was from Artane in North Dublin, passed away at Bons Secours Hospital on Sunday, May 10.

His passing was confirmed in a death noticed posted on RIP.ie. It reads: "In his 92nd year. In the loving care of the staff and doctors of the Bons Secours Hospital.

"Loving husband of the late Maureen and loving father of the late Mary.

"Sadly missed by his beloved wife Alice, loving children Cecilia and Larry Jnr, Larry’s partner Ann, grandchildren Becky, Sam, Elvis, Ava and Ezra, sisters Breda, Joan, Kit and Nora, extended family and friends.

"Rest in Peace."

U2 are scheduled to open their Innocence + Experience tour in Vancouver, Canada, this Thursday, May 14. It is thought that Mr Mullen Snr's funeral will take place in Dublin either tomorrow or Thursday morning.

Larry and all members of U2 are expected to attend the funeral, meaning plans for the first night of their world tour will most certainly need to be rearranged.

Larry was only son of Laurence Joseph and Maureen (née Gaffney) Mullen. Larry, who is the father of three children, has an older sister, Cecilia, and had a younger sister, Mary, who died in 1993. His mother died in a car accident in 1976.

So the band flew out to Dublin from Vancouver then back to Vancouver? Must be really tough on the guys, especially Larry.

RIP

Prayers for Larry and his family. It's so sad that he passed away on both Bono and Jordan's birthdays...they truly are an amazing band to go on with opening night the same day they are burying Mr. Mullen.

Back
Top Bottom