Rihanna wants U2 duet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gnov you seem to get your genders wrong, just like most of the music press do. If you consider Rihanna to be an RnB singer and Paul McCartney to be a pop singer than you are incorrect. Rihanna, MJB, Destiny's Child, Beyonce, Ashanti, Celine Dion and Mariah Carrie are all pop singers singing RnB lite songs. Even though they have better timbres, some of Leona Lewis, Whitney Houstan, Alicia Keys and Christina Aguilira stuff are pop (RnB lite) songs. A pop song is a song whereby both the voice and the lyrics/melody/harmony of a song are lite. There are occasions where those with great or unique voices do sing pop songs. Like the singers I just mentioned but also when Aretha Franklin and Karen Carpenter sang Burt Bacharach songs. A pop singer has pleasant tone & timbre, good pitch, good accuracy and good flexibility. Paul McCartney, Elvis, Bruce Springsteen, Bono and Mick Jagger do not fit thhis statement butI think Rihanna fits perfectly in with this statement. She is hardly Gloria Gayner. Umbrella is a pop (RnB lite) song with hip-hop ellements. Shut Up And Drive and Please Don't Stop The Music aren't even RnB they seem more like the sort of pop/dance type of song that Britney, Kylie or Madonna occasionally release. Britney's Slave4 U was an RnB (lite) pop song. Here's another singer with the flexibilty to sing various sub catagories of pop music within the pop genre, although her voice is not pwerful as Rianna's. Is it just because Rihanna, MJB and Beyonce are black that you consider them RnB singers? If one of worlds top vocal coach considers MJB and Carole King to be pop singer than they are. She knows more than any of us. She said that great voices don't make great pop singers and she gave Barbra Striesand as an example.

And yes I have heard Carole King's song You've Got A Friend on many occasions plus I've also listened to he video's on YouTube and really her voice is nothing is special. It's just that it has slightly more quality to it than say Madonna's. Just like Britney, MJB, Shakira, Rihanna, Pink and Toni Braxton. :shrug: Cindi Lauper has a more distinctive voice than they do for a someone singing pop songs and that's probably why she only got succesful latter on in her life.

It seems that Chris Brown clearly does NOT want a U2 duet.

Good, I don't like him either. He can't sing. He's not even as good as Usher, NeYo, R Kelly or Craig David. Plus allegedly he's in trouble with the law for assaulting a woman. Now can you see why I think this particuarlar brand of RnB lite and Hip-Hop are the worst type of music on God's green planet? They promote violence against women and tlak about us as if we're all objects. Along with the excessive swearing, use of the 'n' word, and talks about guns and killing people it's not music I would chose to put on my CD player.

Lol@people saying that Rihanna is all about tits and ass and good looks. Hilarious.

I guarantee, Bono and Edge would wish they could come anywhere near creating a pop song like Umbrella.

^Well, it's not like Rihanna created "Umbrella".

Um no, but she sings and performs it, doesn't she? SOMEBODY did create it and it's damn fine craftsmanship.

Rihanna the artist isn't just Rihanna, it Rihanna along with a staff of song writers, producers, musicians, etc.

Don't you think U2 get a little help on the creative side and even on the instrument playing part from the likes of Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno too?

Gnov you seem to get your genders wrong, just like most of the music press do. If you consider Rihanna to be an RnB singer and Paul McCartney to be a pop singer than you are incorrect. Rihanna, MJB, Destiny's Child, Beyonce, Ashanti, Celine Dion and Mariah Carrie are all pop singers singing RnB lite songs. Even though they have better timbres, some of Leona Lewis, Whitney Houstan, Alicia Keys and Christina Aguilira stuff are pop (RnB lite) songs. A pop song is a song whereby both the voice and the lyrics/melody/harmony of a song are lite. There are occasions where those with great or unique voices do sing pop songs. Like the singers I just mentioned but also when Aretha Franklin and Karen Carpenter sang Burt Bacharach songs. A pop singer has pleasant tone & timbre, good pitch, good accuracy and good flexibility. Paul McCartney, Elvis, Bruce Springsteen, Bono and Mick Jagger do not fit thhis statement butI think Rihanna fits perfectly in with this statement. She is hardly Gloria Gayner. Umbrella is a pop (RnB lite) song with hip-hop ellements. Shut Up And Drive and Please Don't Stop The Music aren't even RnB they seem more like the sort of pop/dance type of song that Britney, Kylie or Madonna occasionally release. Britney's Slave4 U was an RnB (lite) pop song. Here's another singer with the flexibilty to sing various sub catagories of pop music within the pop genre, although her voice is not pwerful as Rianna's. Is it just because Rihanna, MJB and Beyonce are black that you consider them RnB singers? If one of worlds top vocal coach considers MJB and Carole King to be pop singer than they are. She knows more than any of us. She said that great voices don't make great pop singers and she gave Barbra Striesand as an example.

And yes I have heard Carole King's song You've Got A Friend on many occasions plus I've also listened to he video's on YouTube and really her voice is nothing is special. It's just that it has slightly more quality to it than say Madonna's. Just like Britney, MJB, Shakira, Rihanna, Pink and Toni Braxton. :shrug: Cindi Lauper has a more distinctive voice than they do for a someone singing pop songs and that's probably why she only got succesful latter on in her life.

:lmao:

I've got to hand it to you, your posts do elicit the lolz.

Once more:

1. Pop is not truly a GENRE, much less a GENDER.

2. Pop refers to the POPULARITY of the music, and ROCK and RNB songs and artists both fall within the pop charts on many occasions.

3. Ask Bono if he thinks he's a pop rock singer.

Listen, when you or your vocal coach claim that the co-lead singer of one of the world's most pop boy of all time is not a "pop singer", it's really hard to take you seriously.

Good, I don't like him either. He can't sing. He's not even as good as Usher, NeYo, R Kelly or Craig David. Plus allegedly he's in trouble with the law for assaulting a woman. Now can you see why I think this particuarlar brand of RnB lite and Hip-Hop are the worst type of music on God's green planet? They promote violence against women and tlak about us as if we're all objects. Along with the excessive swearing, use of the 'n' word, and talks about guns and killing people it's not music I would chose to put on my CD player.

Are you for real? Chris Brown's image is Mr Clean Cut good boy, that's why this is so shocking. I can't think of a single CB song that promotes violence against women, uses excessive swearing, the 'n' word, or talks about guns and killing people.

And did you REALLY just say R Kelly? Please tell me you did not just say R Kelly. :groan:

Just for the record, I agree that many of those things you listed are the dearth of hip hop and need to be weeded out so we can go back to the real hip hop I started out listening to, but I doubt you like that stuff either :shrug:

Maybe it wasn't Chris Brown. Maybe it was Paul McGuinness in disguise. He's trying to save us from another Mary J. Blige "One" duet.

Sarcastic or not, I think it's totally uncalled for to joke about a situation like this. Whether you like Rihanna or not, she's in a terrible situation right now, obviously injured, and I don't think it's funny to make jokes about that.

Yes that vocal coach did say that pop has come to mean POPULAR music and I think that's sometimes why the music press call a lot of rock bands pop artists. But there's a differenence between Rihanna and Amy Winehouse. Bono may call himself a pop singer but he also calls himself a rock star. Paul McCartney is definetely not a pop singer because she even reveiwed one of his songs called Run Devil Run within the rock section and states all the classic rock sounds he employs in his vocal. She also speaks about Pride and says that he uses unusual sytlestic elements. So You're wrong about Bono being a crap singer also. Metallica are a popular Metal act does this mean their pop stars and James uses the same stylistic elements when he's singing like that women who sings all the Pusseycat Doll songs?

And actually I love hip-hop from the 90's. It's Like That is one of my favorite songs ever and I own Eminem's greatest hits. It's funny how you seem to think you know what I like and you haven't got a clue.

O and I forgot to say that if Paul did stop this duet from happening, well good. It's good to protect your clients integrity by preventing another dissaster like what happened in 2006. Perhaps if he did something to discourage him from performing with MJB and tell that Murray feller that his band wanted to record their vocals into their Live8 performance instead of not doing anything to stop him tinkering with the vocals, then Bono wouldn't be in the dire situation he is now. He told Eno that the band did not want to co-write with him for years, he should also try and prostect Bono's integrety as a singer.

That's right. Bono is in a dire situation.

knopf2.png

????????????????????????

Yes that vocal coach did say that pop has come to mean POPULAR music and I think that's sometimes why the music press call a lot of rock bands pop artists. But there's a differenence between Rihanna and Amy Winehouse. Bono may call himself a pop singer but he also calls himself a rock star. Paul McCartney is definetely not a pop singer because she even reveiwed one of his songs called Run Devil Run within the rock section and states all the classic rock sounds he employs in his vocal. She also speaks about Pride and says that he uses unusual sytlestic elements. So You're wrong about Bono being a crap singer also. Metallica are a popular Metal act does this mean their pop stars and James uses the same stylistic elements when he's singing like that women who sings all the Pusseycat Doll songs?

And actually I love hip-hop from the 90's. It's Like That is one of my favorite songs ever and I own Eminem's greatest hits. It's funny how you seem to think you know what I like and you haven't got a clue.

Jesus Christ. It's Valentine's Day so I'll be charitable. Has it ever occurred to you that your vocal coach should stick to her craft, ie, teaching vocal theory?

Pop has not 'become to mean popular music'. It always was by very definition, music that was at the top of the popular music charts. End of story.

There's a difference between Rihanna and Amy Winehouse?? Oh, where to go with this one...I agree: one can actually sing and hasn't spent any time in rehab and the other one will be off our collective radar's in about another year or two. God your examples get more and more ludicrous!

Just so I understand you: if I say Bono is a pop singer, you interpret that I'm saying he's a crap singer? Let's get this straight - you are the one that is saying pop is crap, not me. And of course Paul McCartney was, is and will always be a pop rock singer.

Metallica may well indeed be a popular metal act, but they don't (or even have once? I don't know, I don't follow them) chart on the POPULAR music charts, so NO, they don't necessarily get called pop.

OMFG stop the presses. You know a mid 90s trip hop club song and you own Eminem's greatest hits. Clearly, I was so wrong about your vast knowledge of hip hop. Good grief, my 13 yr old knows about 1000X more classic hip hop (and I would bet, rock, soul, house and everything in between) than you do :rolleyes:

O and I forgot to say that if Paul did stop this duet from happening, well good. It's good to protect your clients integrity by preventing another dissaster like what happened in 2006. Perhaps if he did something to discourage him from performing with MJB and tell that Murray feller that his band wanted to record their vocals into their Live8 performance instead of not doing anything to stop him tinkering with the vocals, then Bono wouldn't be in the dire situation he is now. He told Eno that the band did not want to co-write with him for years, he should also try and prostect Bono's integrety as a singer.

Bono is in a dire situation. The song that went No 1 in many countries 15yrs after it's original release was a disaster. Bono needs his integrity protected as a singer.

This gets better and better! :lmao:

Metallica may well indeed be a popular metal act, but they don't (or even have once? I don't know, I don't follow them) chart on the POPULAR music charts, so NO, they don't necessarily get called pop.

Erm, I think the Black Album was maybe about as 'pop' as a metal band can get.

Still lots of hating going on what a shocker.

What is wrong with somebody saying that they would love to have a duet with Bono, I am sure there is a lot of musicians out there that would think the same thing, and Bono probably thinks the same thing about some other musicians as well.

I am glad U2 isnt as closed minded as their "hardcore" fanbase because it is pathetic to see all the musicial elitism going on in this discussion and I am sure U2 would be ashamed to have some of you people as fans.

There's a difference between Rihanna and Amy Winehouse?? Oh, where to go with this one...I agree: one can actually sing and hasn't spent any time in rehab and the other one will be off our collective radar's in about another year or two. God your examples get more and more ludicrous!

I don't think Rihanna is much of a singer. Great pop songs, but vocally, I don't think she's anything special at all and would have no problem if she dropped off our collective radar.

I'd much rather Amy Winehouse stick around as a pop singer. She's got an interesting voice. But we'll see if she makes it beyond next year.

Yeah rihanna isnt talented tbh, all these pop singers use studio echo's and stuff to make them sound better, rather u2 dont, and thats why they sound awesome live.

Violence against women and objectifying them happens a lot in the rock music world too.

Back
Top Bottom