Rihanna wants U2 duet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd be willing to bet you know little, if any, real soul, gospel or reggae.

I shall chose to ignore that obtuse comment. But let me say I DO know about reggea because I'm reading a book about it now. I've also read about gospal. Soul isn't even a real term technically, it's just a smoothed out version of REAL RnB that was derived from Motown. Most RnB avicianado's hate that term. And yes I've heard people say many times that most of what is marketed as RnB nowadays is actually very bland. Although I do agree that John Legend is real RnB singer. He has a great voice.

We can't agree to disagree. People who do that are usually two people who realize that both have somewhat valid opinions that fall somewhere in the realm of taste and subjectivity. Your opinions fall into neither category, they're just out and out foolishness, sorry.

You are a cheeky little boy. BTW the guy on the talk radio station I listen to went off into a rant after the Brit awards. "Jamelia is no more of an RnB singer than my left foot. Does the fact that you're black automatically qualify you as an RnB singer". Here Here I shouted. He was also the guy who said that Beyonce is (and always will be) a pop singer. She has an ordinary voice. It's only because of the fact that she's a great dancer, undoubtly she has a beautiful face and clever marketing that she's got as as far as she's had because they're are loads of female singers like her out there. Plus she's more concerned with pitch accuracy than she with emotion. Aretha and Chaka slurred their pitch and wailed but then they were more concerned with raw emotion than being all arty farty. But they have more distinctive voices than her and if she was in the 50's/60's there is no way she'd be as popular than as she is in the 00's. In those days only the very best got to the top. Nowadays it's more about PR and looking good.

4 Minutes was an Rnb lite/pop song but Madonna is still considered a pop singer. Justin Timberlake is a pop singer and Will Young has recorded many songs with an RnB lite element but because he's white he isn't considered an RnB singer. Rihanna, Jennifer Hudson and Mary are POP singers with lame lyrics and more of focus on production and tune than voice or song. That's the difference.

So if you consider only having a number 1 album or single makes you a pop singer, then all these are pop musicians playing pop music:Iron Maiden, Guns N roses, Metallica, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Limp Bizcuit, Eminem, 2 Pac, Jay Z, etc . Not to mention all the folk and world musicians who reach the top spot in their various countries. (I thought yo said Mary got to number 1 in 15 countries. So by your theory she is a POP singer).

And these aren't: Miley Cyrus (Yeah she's a real rock chick like a budding Patti Smith), Ashley Simpson (yet another rock singer because her stuff barely troubles the top 40 over here yet alone the Number 1 spot), Jessica Simpson (fares no better than Ashley. She has a more of a country singer so I'd say she's a young Dolly Parton). Jonas Brother (They're the new Rolling Stones).

See your theory is flawed. Donna is more of a lecturer in music than a vocal coach so if there's anyone who should know about music theory than it's her.

Dear Annie:

I think we have come to an important point here. You have proven yourself unable to articulate opinion unless it is informed by others. In addition, you've actually heard little, if any, of the music you talk about. You're reading books about reggae, soul and gospel and that is how you 'know' about them? Soul is not really a term used to describe music?? Do you ever read back your posts to yourself? I have two words for you: GET EXPERIENCED. I'm sorry, I can't argue with someone who knows so little, honestly. I'm out.

And, for god's sake, listen to the new U2 album and let this anti-pop obsession of yours die.

Back
Top Bottom