Reissue campaigns done right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Backstreets92

The Fly
Kind of tangential, but I just want to say how impressed I am with REM's reissue campaign for Automatic For the People. Though the set itself isn't amazing, they're doing interviews with sites like the NME, Rolling Stone, Newsweek, Spin, Stereogum, Salon, etc., other music sites breaking down each song on the album every couple of days, thinkpieces and essays from an even broader range of websites, radio/tv appearances on Channel 4 News, NPR, Radio X, BBC 6 Music, etc.

They've been building the hype for the reissue in a positive way (and reminding people of the importance of their legacy) since mid-September. Every day there's always some cool new REM-related tidbits in my Facebook feed.

The '2 could stand to learn a thing or two from them me thinks.

R.E.M. isn't a functioning band at this point, so they don't have anything better to do.

Maybe you feel U2 should have done more interviews for the Achtung Baby reissue, but they did make a feature-length documentary about it. So it's not like they slept through the whole anniversary.

R.E.M. isn't a functioning band at this point, so they don't have anything better to do.

Maybe you feel U2 should have done more interviews for the Achtung Baby reissue, but they did make a feature-length documentary about it. So it's not like they slept through the whole anniversary.

Achtung was alright and to be fair that was 6 years ago. Very different world, music industry, market for consumer goods, methods of promotion, etc. today. I was referring more torwards the JT reissue this year. The tour was great for sure, but outside of that, there wasn't a large amount of buzz in the media and music press like there was for the REM reissue.

Well given that REM is pretty much done, they're probably more comfortable looking back at this point.

U2, on the other hand, has never been comfortable looking backward, for them it's always about the future.

I'm still kinda pissed R.E.M. is done. I don't really care if they don't make any new music, I just want to see them live one more time!!!!

Queen’s new News of The World box looks fantastic. I may never know, as it runs in the $150 range and isn’t available digitally.

The Beach Boys have had fantastic reissues since about 1990!! They set the gold standard IMHO, and continue to do so!!!

Back
Top Bottom