Red Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about we stop comparing a song to other song and for once listen to a song for what it is.

So instead of looking comparatively terrible, it can look terrible on its own terms? Righto then. For some of us, it's rather beyond saving no matter how you look at it, and heaven forbid we have different taste to you.

Or here's a fucking thought. How about we stop comparing a song to other song and for once listen to a song for what it is. We do the same with humans, why not for songs then? why do we have this urge to rate things so badly? So what if it's not the Streets without any names, or no WOWY? Not every song has to be an epic. The song is a bloody good one. So what if Bono sounds like a puberty child? he sounds like that now sometimes. Or what if the backing vocals seem silly? which I don't think they are. The song is a unique, extravagant, splanchnic beast. The fact that some of you idiots, casual U2 listeners, and the mainstream don't like it makes the song even better, more exclusive.

I'm thinking one person forms an opinion about a song and suddenly every one flocks about onto that opinion. How can the whole Interference be so one-sided on a good song like this.

*armor-plated suit + tie; double kevlar layered flame suit on*
just because someone disagrees with your opinion does not make them an idiot. name calling is not allowed here.

I always like this lyric from the song:

It's your own late show
As you jump to the street below
But where can you go
To leave yourself behind
Alone in the spotlight
Of this, your own tragedy

but it's pretty pedestrian for U2...:shrug:

Worst song on War? I think it's one of the worst songs they've ever done.

I even keep coming back to it, to see if my tastes have change, or to see if it's grown on me, or to see if I can appreciate it more.

Nope.

Bono said that Red Light was "is generally accepted as not being their finest moment".

From his mouth to my ears, in 1997.

Or here's a fucking thought. How about we stop comparing a song to other song and for once listen to a song for what it is. We do the same with humans, why not for songs then? why do we have this urge to rate things so badly? So what if it's not the Streets without any names, or no WOWY? Not every song has to be an epic. The song is a bloody good one. So what if Bono sounds like a puberty child? he sounds like that now sometimes. Or what if the backing vocals seem silly? which I don't think they are. The song is a unique, extravagant, splanchnic beast. The fact that some of you idiots, casual U2 listeners, and the mainstream don't like it makes the song even better, more exclusive.

I'm thinking one person forms an opinion about a song and suddenly every one flocks about onto that opinion. How can the whole Interference be so one-sided on a good song like this.

Interesting.

It's worth remembering that all reviews are subjective personal opinions and if you personally enjoy the music then they really shouldn't get to you.

...Unless of course there's a despicable little niggling doubt in the back of your mind that maybe you're not having as much fun as you'd convinced yourself you're having; which doesn't go away no matter how many times you try to slap it down with the wet flannel of weak excuses.

why is the thought this "red light is a sucky song" so "anyone who likes it therefore also must suck"......don't take it personally man..you can like it...

note to self: hot button issue :nerd:

Bono said that Red Light was "is generally accepted as not being their finest moment".

From his mouth to my ears, in 1997.

He also said that the note he tries to hit when he sings "spotlight" was inspired by John Lennon's voice in Twist and Shout. <<just a point of interest...

So instead of looking comparatively terrible, it can look terrible on its own terms? Righto then. For some of us, it's rather beyond saving no matter how you look at it, and heaven forbid we have different taste to you.

No. When you compare it to a song like Where the Streets have no name, One, Pride, etc. of course it's not on the same scale.

But if you look at the song for what it is, what it really is and judge it without any prejudice, without any pre-conditions, then your opinions might vary.

But if you look at the song for what it is, what it really is and judge it without any prejudice, without any pre-conditions, then your opinions might vary.

I have. Many times. I honestly think it's a bad song.

:shrug:

It was a joke but I guess you take things seriously when there isn't a smiley to glitterize the statement.

Well pardon me for taking that comment the same way as your others. It's hard to tell when you're serious or not when you just called half the forum idiots because they don't agree with your OPINION.

Well guess what, it doesn't. The song sounds terrible to me. I don't need to compare it to Streets or Bad to know it's terrible. It stands on its own as utter rubbish.

Why do you care so much anyway?

Well guess what, it doesn't. The song sounds terrible to me. I don't need to compare it to Streets or Bad to know it's terrible. It stands on its own as utter rubbish.

Why do you care so much anyway?

Because we're idiots, so our opinion isn't valid.

Don't know what point you're making but I'm really having fun all the time whether it's to give respect to a song or to persuade a rather stagnant audience.

I'm implying your angry reaction shows laughable insecurity about how much you like the song.

The fact that some of you idiots, casual U2 listeners, and the mainstream don't like it makes the song even better, more exclusive.

Saying both "I'm trying to persuade a rather stagnant audience" and "narf narf narf your hatred makes me like it more" makes it obvious you're just lashing out at those mean people who don't think like you do.

Returning to the original point of discussion in the thread - RED LIGHT - I generally don't like War, and this doesn't really fit on the album. So from that point of view I don't like it.

I do think its a little cheesy (but isn't THBAO guilty of this too?) and is there also a dog barking towards the end?! But I do listen to occasionally and prefer it to some other tracks from the album.

Overall - I DO LIKE IT - but I don't think its a good song it's more of a guilty pleasure!

Well, Red Light is all kinds of terrible. Did U2 ever sound so dated?

The Refugee is a bit worse.

The rest of the album ranks from solid to very good to bloody amazing.

Back
Top Bottom