Rattle And Hum...Re-imagined

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unknown Caller

The Fly
For years and years I have neglected Rattle And Hum, thinking it to be a frustrating listen despite the quality of many tracks. It is well documented that this album is largely considered jumbled mess that could have been so much more without the whole Major Motion Picture tie in that lead to the first great U2 backlash.

So I have a playlist folder in iTunes that I call "Albums Re-imagined" where I take albums that could have been great and make them so by re-ordering the tracklist or deleting tracks or sometimes adding b-sides from the era of the band.

So I finally got around to "fixing" Rattle And Hum. I used only the studio album tracks and deleted the live cuts. I did not include any of the b-sides because I don't feel they hold up well enough to be on an album and I wanted this compilation to be concise...a brief but powerful statement of where the band was at at this (experimental) period of their career.

I know this has been done before, but here is what I came up with.

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Desire
3. Van Diemen's Land (I cut off the applause at the start and the interview nonsense at the end)
4. Angel of Harlem (truly one of U2's greatest pop moments)
5. God Part II
6. Love Rescue Me
7. When Love Comes to Town (not my favorite but it really has to be in this collection)
8. Heartland
9. All I Want Is You

I think it flows really well and is actually a great album that would have done much better in the eyes of the critics had it not been attached to an overblown motion picture. What might have the critical reaction have been to something like this? I think this would have been viewed as a concise and successful experiment/foray into american roots music as it was originally intended before the whole movie idea got out of hand. What do you think? How would this have changed U2's career trajectory? Would we have ever seen an Achtung Baby?

Discuss.

Mmm, I think that could work well. Personally I think God Part II into Love Rescue Me might not flow that well, whereas it works well going into BTBS. Might work better if LRM were sandwiched between WLCTT and Heartland, but that's just me.

I do this too! I have the same Playlist folder with Alternate Album Tracklisting.

here's mine for Rattle and Hum:

1-Hawkmoon 269
2-Desire
3-Heartland
4-God Part II
5-A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
6-When Love Comes To Town
7-Angel Of Harlem
8-Hallelujah, Here She Comes
9-Van Diemen's Land
10-All I Want Is You
11-Love Rescue Me

Hawkmoon 269
Van Diemen's Land (No fade)
Desire
Angel Of Harlem
Heartland
Hallelujah here she comes
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes To Town
God Part II
A room at the heartbreak hotel
All I Want Is You

Yeah, one has to add Heartbreak Hotel and Hallelujah to fully flesh this out.

I'll say this to the Hawkmoon-as-opener people: It's a great, epic song, but I don't think it's appropriate for an album that is mostly trying to go all basic and rootsy.

As much as I hate lead singles being the first song on the album, I think Desire really gets right to the point.

I don't have my custom list handy, but I know that it opened with Desire followed by Angel of Harlem. I think I had side one closing with Hawkmoon.

For years and years I have neglected Rattle And Hum, thinking it to be a frustrating listen despite the quality of many tracks. It is well documented that this album is largely considered jumbled mess that could have been so much more without the whole Major Motion Picture tie in that lead to the first great U2 backlash.

So I have a playlist folder in iTunes that I call "Albums Re-imagined" where I take albums that could have been great and make them so by re-ordering the tracklist or deleting tracks or sometimes adding b-sides from the era of the band.

So I finally got around to "fixing" Rattle And Hum. I used only the studio album tracks and deleted the live cuts. I did not include any of the b-sides because I don't feel they hold up well enough to be on an album and I wanted this compilation to be concise...a brief but powerful statement of where the band was at at this (experimental) period of their career.

I know this has been done before, but here is what I came up with.

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Desire
3. Van Diemen's Land (I cut off the applause at the start and the interview nonsense at the end)
4. Angel of Harlem (truly one of U2's greatest pop moments)
5. God Part II
6. Love Rescue Me
7. When Love Comes to Town (not my favorite but it really has to be in this collection)
8. Heartland
9. All I Want Is You

I think it flows really well and is actually a great album that would have done much better in the eyes of the critics had it not been attached to an overblown motion picture. What might have the critical reaction have been to something like this? I think this would have been viewed as a concise and successful experiment/foray into american roots music as it was originally intended before the whole movie idea got out of hand. What do you think? How would this have changed U2's career trajectory? Would we have ever seen an Achtung Baby?

Discuss.

I did this with Rattle and Hum too. Do you not have the version of Van Diemen's Land that is just the song itself without the interview and crowd noise? It also doesn't fade out and ends properly with Edge finishing the singing and ends on a finishing chord. If you don't have it I can send it to you. You definitely need it for this!

I did this with Rattle and Hum too. Do you not have the version of Van Diemen's Land that is just the song itself without the interview and crowd noise? It also doesn't fade out and ends properly with Edge finishing the singing and ends on a finishing chord. If you don't have it I can send it to you. You definitely need it for this!

could you send it to me? thefonz_29@hotmail.com

i'm gonna try this. it's been about 45 years since i've listened to Rattle & Hum.

Heartbreak Hotel and Hallelujah Here She comes... two of their very best bsides.

No problem, sending now :)

Let me know if that link didn't work. For some reason it's giving me problems when I click on it. I just listened to the track again. It does end a tiny bit wonky, but not too bad and definitely works better than the album track for a compilation like this. I don't know who made it, it's from one of the Fruitlegs.

IMO Heartland should have remained on JT and Trip Through Your Wires should have been shelved for Rattle and Hum

I don't mind Rattle & Hum at all. It's very disorganized but it contains some awesome tracks.

Desire
God part II
Angel of Harlem
When love comes to town
Hawkmoon 269
Heartland
Love rescue me
Slow dancing
She's a mystery to me
All I want is you

RATTLE & HUM

Disc One – Rattle (studio tracks)

1. Desire (2:59)
2. Van Diemen’s Land (3:05)
3. Angel Of Harlem (3:49)
4. Hawkmoon 269 (6:22)
5. Love Rescue Me (6:24)
6. Heartland (5:03)
7. God Part II (3:15)
8. When Love Comes To Town (4:15)
9. Hallelujah, Here She Comes (4.12)
10. All I Want Is You (6:30)

Disc Two – Hum (live tracks from movie)

1. Where The Streets Have No Name (6:09)
2. In God’s Country (1:55)
3. Exit (4:12)
4. All Along The Watchtower (4:24)
5. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (5:53)
6. Freedom For My People (0:38)
7. Silver & Gold (5:49)
8. Bullet The Blue Sky (5:36)
9. Helter Skelter (3:07)
10. Bad (7:51)
11. Pride (In The Name Of Love) (4:27)

RATTLE & HUM

Now that right there is an ideal way to go! :applaud: I actually wish they did it like that but I can also make a playlist out of iTunes.

RATTLE & HUM

i did something similar with the live tracks, except followed the order of the songs much closer:

1. Helter Skelter
  2. Exit
  3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  4. Freedom For My People
  5. Silver And Gold
  6. All Along The Watchtower
  7. In God's Country
  8. When Love Comes To Town
  9. Bad
  10. Where The Streets Have No Name
  11. MLK
  12. With Or Without You
  13. Bullet The Blue Sky
  14. Running To Stand Still
  15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  16. Pride

Desire
God part II
Angel of Harlem
When love comes to town
Hawkmoon 269
Heartland
Love rescue me
Slow dancing
She's a mystery to me
All I want is you

I like this.

My only issue is that the relatively experimental God Part II might be harder to process so close to the beginning. I'm thinking retroactively, of course.

Also, is Slow Dancing that old?? Wow.

I became a U2 fan in the time between The Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum, so R&H was my first NEW U2 album.

Frankly, I never understood everyone's problem with it. In fact, I don't think most people used to have a problem with it. It's a fantastic collection of songs and ordered in a really unusual and unconventional way. I listened to my TAPE copy of it so many times all of the words rubbed off and I had to write "U2 - Rattle and Hum" on a sticker, as if it was a mixed tape! :)

Back
Top Bottom