Rattle And Hum 25th Anniversary Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
25 years ago this week, on October 10, 1988, Rattle And Hum was released.

1555224128a0f6a6650f9010.L.jpg
4a6bb340dca091e25a545010.L.jpg

Certainly one of the most unique albums, if not the most unique album, they've ever released with regards to format and its hodgepodge makeup - it's their only album to be accompanied by a film, and the only one to mix studio and live material - and it's been argued practically since its release that it should've been two separate releases: one new album of studio material and one live album documenting the Joshua Tree tour. As it is, naysayers argue that the mix causes the studio material to lack cohesion and flow and the live material to feel out of place. This is without mentioning that some of the best live material recorded for the album was only included in the film.

All flaws aside, however, much of the studio tracks here are loved by die-hard U2 fans like us, and three of them were successful singles that are still live staples to this day(Desire, Angel Of Harlem, All I Want Is You). Also, imo, the music video for All I Want Is You is one of the very greatest they ever made.

Roughly a month after the album was released, on November 4, 1988, the film opened in theaters.

u2-rattle-and-hum-movie-poster-1988-1020194447.jpg
xhfu.jpg

If the album got a mixed reaction, the film got blasted. The film critics just hated it. They thought it was self-indulgent, that U2 were putting themselves in the rock pantheon with the Beatles, Elvis, Dylan, Hendrix, B.B. King, etc., and that they were presumptuous and arrogant to do so. The band, and particularly Bono, have maintained to this day that their intent in the film was misunderstood, that they weren't putting themselves in the pantheon with all those greats, but rather were showing themselves as fans of those greats, and expressing that fandom by playing covers, collaborating with some of them on new songs, and by visiting places close to those greats(Larry's pilgrimage to Graceland, the band visiting Sun Studios, etc).

The critics also didn't like the interview portions, and for this, frankly, I'm not sure I can fault them. I think the band later admitted that they were kind of deer-in-the-headlights when it was time to record those segments, and the result is that, although there are some interesting things that are said, they don't have a whole lot to say a lot of the time.

Whatever one thinks of the documentary or interview parts of the film, I think most would agree that the performances - the main draw, and culled mainly from two Joshua Tree tour shows in Denver and Tempe - are nothing short of vintage U2 and essential for any U2 fan. I think even a lot of the critics that blasted the film admitted that the performances themselves were great.

So, there is a lot of imperfection both on the album and in the film, but both are important documents of where the band was at that point in time. There is both a freshness and a weariness in this material; freshness in the new material, and in that these are performances, in many cases, of some of the band's biggest warhorses before they were warhorses, of Streets, With Or Without You, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, etc, when they were just the 'new' songs; weariness in that, specifically in the film, you can already see the weight of their newfound superstardom causing some cracks, and you can already see the end of their road in the 80s in sight. There is no question that a lot of the studio tracks on the album and the live performances in the film stand the test of time as enduring and indispensable entries in the U2 catalog, even if the album and film as wholes are ultimately seen as flawed.

It must also be stated, of course, that the album spawned the Lovetown tour, a tour that has gained mythical status among die-hard U2 fans, particularly here on Interference, for its dynamic setlists, party-like atmosphere, and also, for its lack of officially released material(I think there's only the Point Depot show that was released as part of the iTunes Complete U2 package, and the not-widely-seen Lovetown Documentary).

It is worth noting that that Rattle And Hum and Pop(let's not open that can of worms in this thread) are the only pre-ATYCLB U2 albums that have yet to see a remaster/re-release(if we assume that the Achtung Baby re-release is it for Zooropa). It would've made sense to do that this year, since it's the 25th anniversary, but I guess they're busy with the new album. Maybe in five years for the 30th? There's a lot of unreleased material they could include with it; the unreleased Sun Studios tracks, She's A Mystery To Me, full band Can't Help Falling Love, and If I Had A Rocket Launcher among them; the full Denver and Tempe shows that were recorded/filmed for the album and film, although U2 might not own those recordings; the Lovetown documentary; the full Sydney Lovetown shows that were filmed for said documentary; other things I'm probably forgetting. I hope for and look forward to such a release in the future.

That's about it. Let's discuss, appreciate, and commemorate Rattle And Hum and its 25th anniversary. :) I leave you with these awesome posters for the film that I saw in full for maybe the first time(I'm not entirely sure) today:

u2-rattle-and-hum-movie-poster-1988-1020220351.jpg
u2-rattle-and-hum-movie-poster-1988-1020220350.jpg

u2-rattle-and-hum-movie-poster-1988-1020220348.jpg
u2-rattle-and-hum-movie-poster-1988-1020220349.jpg

Why are we not seeing a remastered release for this CD? I know the controversy and the criticism associated with this release, but it arguably has 3 U2 classics on here: All I Want Is You, Desire and Angel of Harlem. Maybe U2's oddest release, but one that is historical for a couple of reason: U2 backlash and an eclectic mix of live and studio material. And the release the sparked the reinvention of U2.

C'mon Boys...throw us a bone~

One of U2's best, and most under appreciated records. And, despite what has been said to the contrary, one of their most successful (it sold about as much as Zooropa and Pop combined, and only AB and JT performed better than R&H). I count it in my U2 top 5. I think had they separated the studio and live tracks (something I hope they do in the remaster) it would be regarded much differently than it is today.

Let's hope it gets the remaster and deluxe edition it deserves. Thanks for this great write up on this amazing album.

In my 31 yrs of being a u2 fan.......i recall the whole Rattle and hum period most fondly. Was such a great time to be a u2 fan. Great album...great movie!

This was the first album that got a proper mastering, courtesy of Cheryl Engles, who has handle all their mastering since. It's rumored that she got the gig by meeting Larry while they were working on the album in LA and telling them how terrible a job Island had done on mastering their albums hitherto. He was initially skeptical but eventually won over. At the same time, Bono and Adam had been doing a road trip and found the difference between their albums (which didn't have a lot of low end) and other albums by listening to a Def Leppard tape in the car of a fan who picked them up by the side of the road. All of this resulted in U2's best sounding record to that point, strictly from an EQ place. Even the remastered JT, UF, etc don't sound as full as this record did.

What a fantastic thread this is! Hey, is R&H available on Blu- Ray?

The performance if WOWY in the film is my absolute fave version ever and is superior to the studio version (IMO). Those extra verses at the end and The Edge rocking out a solo just make it fly!! Bono looks like a rock god during this performance in the film.

The Whole Bad-Streets-MLK-WOWY-BTBS-RTSS-SBS and Pride sequence of the film I have watched endless times and never tire of its pure rock legendary history setting standards it holds then and today.

Sorry but Bono of the 2000's can't sing like that anymore , damn aging and it's negative side effects. :(

This was the first album that got a proper mastering, courtesy of Cheryl Engles, who has handle all their mastering since. It's rumored that she got the gig by meeting Larry while they were working on the album in LA and telling them how terrible a job Island had done on mastering their albums hitherto. He was initially skeptical but eventually won over. At the same time, Bono and Adam had been doing a road trip and found the difference between their albums (which didn't have a lot of low end) and other albums by listening to a Def Leppard tape in the car of a fan who picked them up by the side of the road. All of this resulted in U2's best sounding record to that point, strictly from an EQ place. Even the remastered JT, UF, etc don't sound as full as this record did.

This is one of their best sounding albums on vinyl.

The film Rattle and Hum was my introduction to U2 and I will love it for ever and ever. People can shred it all they like but the film is pretty much my foundational definition of cool. Nothing will ever be as cool as them wearing Lola Cashman's clothes in those black and white images-- a little awkward and dated and totally iconic. Can't help it; I love that record too much to criticize it. All that funny stuff just makes it more loveable.

What a fantastic thread this is! Hey, is R&H available on Blu- Ray? The performance if WOWY in the film is my absolute fave version ever and is superior to the studio version (IMO). Those extra verses at the end and The Edge rocking out a solo just make it fly!! Bono looks like a rock god during this performance in the film. The Whole Bad-Streets-MLK-WOWY-BTBS-RTSS-SBS and Pride sequence of the film I have watched endless times and never tire of its pure rock legendary history setting standards it holds then and today. Sorry but Bono of the 2000's can't sing like that anymore , damn aging and it's negative side effects. :(

Yes, available on blu ray. The image quality is basically the same of the DVD. The difference in sound is huge. Much much better on the blu ray.

I love Rattle And Hum. I've always loved it! :heart: Despite its so called imperfections of mixing studio and live material, it was one of the first few albums of theirs I heard and it shaped my fandom as to how it is now. Some of the studio tracks here are simply magical.

Van Diemen's Land :heart:
Hawkmoon :heart:

I never listen to the album, and the movie is kinda boring in parts (a lot of the things people talk about as being funny aren't really that funny), but man, the performances. SBS, RTSS, Streets, WOWY, Exit, In God's Country, Bad... all keys to me becoming a big, big fan. I remember watching it for the first time when I was home alone and it was a magical moment.

Also: I could not give one fuck about "okay Edge play the blues". Uptight twats always whinge about that as if it's the most embarrassing moment in musical history.

I remember I was really surprised at how high I had ranked this album years ago when taking that U2 album and song ranking poll thingy someone here created some time ago. I shouldn't have been surprised though. The studio songs are all pretty great and I love most of them. I believe Rattle and Hum was also the first Blu-ray I ever bought!

As for the album getting a rerelease for its anniversary, I don't think we should rule it out just yet. We know the band just did a photoshoot and Bono was wearing something very similar to his late 80's look!

Wow, nice OP by namkcuR! :up:

I honestly think Rattle & Hum -- as an album -- would be their 3rd-best record if it was the studio-tracks only...and add in 'Hallelujah, Here She Comes'.

Here's how I'd personally rate the LP studio tracks:
***** Van Diemen's Land
***** Desire
***** Hawkmoon 269
***** Angel of Harlem
***** Love Rescue Me*
**** When Love Comes to Town
***** Heartland
**** God Part II
***** All I Want Is You

As you can see, I like these songs a lot. I grew up listening to Bob Dylan, country-folk, Johnny Cash and The Beatles -- long before I became a U2 fan -- so U2's delving into these 'rootsier' musics fit right up my alley, and if they'd stayed making this kind of music forever I wouldn't have minded (good thing they didn't though, as a change was necessary career-wise after the 80s).

Unfortunately, I think the band's own revisiting of their history, repeatedly, for books and documentaries, has made them actually believe that Rattle & Hum was a disaster. It was in fact an enormous success. Aside from the overwhelming commercial success of the album (all-time record-breaking sales in the UK, for example, surpassing The Joshua Tree), there were a lot of positive reviews (since forgotten). In the USA, Rolling Stone gave the album a 4-star review, for example. Ask anyone too young to remember, though, and they're convinced the album was a travesty and a disaster.

The movie has its really great and its very poor points. As noted above, the concert photography is absolutely stunning and cannot be dismissed. In a quarter-century since, I haven't seen any as intimate or visceral (I have no idea why they jumped from black & white to color, but hey it looked cool). The performances captured are mostly great, and some ('With or Without You', 'Sunday Bloody Sunday') are definitive. On the downside, the small attempts to get the band-members talking just don't come off, or else they're kind of embarrassing (Larry waxes philosophical on Graceland). This was a period when the band took itself rather too seriously (what? U2??), and that state of pretension is draped all over the film -- Joanou must shoulder some of the blame for scenes like Martin Luther King's head superimposed over Bono's.. that's a bit hard to forget. Likewise, the scenes of Bono reading his lyrics to B.B. King. Amazing that the band didn't veto stuff like that.

Which leads to another point -- the band really did try to ingratiate themselves with those greats of popular music. They can deny it all they want, but how else do you explain a young Irish band who've been aware of blues for 15 minutes inviting B.B.King on stage with them, and filming it for theatrical release? Or their recording a half dozen songs at Sun Studios, etc., etc. Anyway, U2 were high and mighty in that period and they really did deserve to rank with the greats, but the 80s was a rather early time to be doing that, especially when they didn't seem to understand much of the music they were so enthusiastic about.

Oh, and the film wasn't that poorly received. A rock-doc was never going to compete with Star Wars at the box-office, but I think they more-or-less broke even on it, which isn't bad at all. And I'm sure they've made a huge profit on it in all the years since. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 67% approval rating from critics, which is way above average.

* A side note -- I've contributed to a particular Bob Dylan forum over the years (much more than to this one) and I've noticed that Dylan fans rate "Love Rescue Me" very highly, whereas U2 fans seem to piss all over it.(For the record, I love it!)

Which leads to another point -- the band really did try to ingratiate themselves with those greats of popular music. They can deny it all they want, but how else do you explain a young Irish band who've been aware of blues for 15 minutes inviting B.B.King on stage with them, and filming it for theatrical release? Or their recording a half dozen songs at Sun Studios, etc., etc. Anyway, U2 were high and mighty in that period and they really did deserve to rank with the greats, but the 80s was a rather early time to be doing that, especially when they didn't seem to understand much of the music they were so enthusiastic about.

What would you say were they supposed to do in order to not be ingratiating? In terms of stature or star power at the time they were way within their league to be hanging with BB and Bob. Were they supposed to not go to Sun or to Graceland, or just not to make a film about it? Love and talk to and make music inspired by the big boys, or just not release it? Was their error in doing the stuff or in making the assumption that people would be interested?

It seems to me that they took on American music in a totally characteristic way (in exactly the same way they took on music in total at the beginning, actually) by performing and sharing pretty much the moment they had anything to share, before they could even end the songs. You can call it pretentious or ingratiating or whatever, but it's a logical and consistent expression of who they are as musicians. ...or who they were up til that time. You could probably argue that R&H broke them of that habit for good, because they've been a lot more careful about delivery since then.

Truly egomaniacal to be reading your lyrics to a senior colleague...or getting some emotions (Larry at Graceland).

Truly egomaniacal to be reading your lyrics to a senior colleague.

Well, it sure is when you read a line and then look up, nodding wisely, looking smug like you just wrote the greatest fucking line ever.

*shudder*

What would you say were they supposed to do in order to not be ingratiating? In terms of stature or star power at the time they were way within their league to be hanging with BB and Bob. Were they supposed to not go to Sun or to Graceland, or just not to make a film about it? Love and talk to and make music inspired by the big boys, or just not release it? Was their error in doing the stuff or in making the assumption that people would be interested?
Well, I just think that at the time (late 1987, early '88) they were not yet aware of how to present themselves, especially to the international media and the new 'mass' audience they had just captured. As individuals, they seem to have handled it amazingly well (nobody quit, went to jail, died of drugs, etc.), but career-wise the Rattle & Hum movie, in particular, showed some loss of control of their image and maybe a misperception about how they were viewed. It's always difficult for bands who have been akin to popular indie/college band suddenly having an audience like Bon Jovi or Def Leppard. I think this loss of control is what the band members themselves have retrospectively seized upon to explain what went wrong with their image back then (Edge in particular always talks about how there was a mysterious 'shift' from a small-film idea into a big Hollywood production). Some of the fault probably lies with Paul McGuinness, but the band itself clearly had the power of veto, you would think.

Anyway, I just think they maybe didn't realize how accountable they would have to be for years to come for every little scene in Rattle & Hum. Had they known that, they likely would have been more careful with some of those more pretentious scenes (i.e., they would have cut them). As you say, the band thereafter became much more careful (i.e., calculating) about their image... to good and bad effect.

It's just part-and-parcel of becoming a massive, international act over a period of a few months. You have to surrender a lot of control.

Great album and film indeed. And the fact that they saw this as a huge failure, led them to create the magic of the 90's! Acchung baby would not be what it is if it wasn't for R&H. So because of that, I am thankful fOr this album!!

The Film is greater than the album, some of the best live filming ever. SBS, Bad, Streets, WOWY, Helter Skelter those are just amazing. I put them sometimes to remember how tight, energetic and emotional this band was/is.... and it gives me goose bumps every time. In the middle of their best live period.
As for the record itself, songs like Heartland, God Part 2, Desire and AIWIY are amongst their best. Just not a big fan of the "country" side of the album (WLCTT, LRM) but this is the album that got me into U2 as well in 89, then I became nuts about them :lol:

forgot Exit of course..... might be my all time favourite live song by anyone....

i like the album and movie like it is. it's "hodgepog" nature is it's strength and beauty. to me it shows U2's musical history. to quote the hitman, "it's a musical journey". why shouldn't u2 ingratiate themselves into the company of the legends of the music world? who wouldn't jump at the chance to learn at the feet of their hero's?
people say achtung baby was to start of their road to re-invention. nah. rattle and hum is where it started. country, rock, gospel, blues all on 1 record.

Excellent, excellent review. The performances on the film are absolutely mindblowing. I love the album too. Van Diemen's Land, Heartland and All I Want Is You are my favourites.

Not to send it down a "most-cringeworthy-moment" path when we're supposed to focusing on its merits, but I always laugh at this:
"I related to the Elvis movies 'cause I worked myself for a couple o' years. I was what they called a glorified messenger boy."

Likewise, I know my first job at age 15, picking garbage off a parking lot, helped me relate to Blue Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom