Rattle And Hum 25th Anniversary Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most cringeworthy moments has already been done so we can skip it, right.

Watch Top 5 Awful Moments in U2's "Rattle and Hum" | Todd's Pop Song Reviews Episodes | Music Videos | Blip

I liked this review. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9224808/a-look-state-rock-documentaries-25-years-u2-rattle-hum Here's a couple of good paragraphs.

At the same time, a quarter-century removed from U2's hectoring late-'80s persona, Rattle and Hum is surprisingly watchable. This might be the 13-year-old U2 fanatic in me talking, because I loved this movie back then, and even now that I can see (and make fun of) its flaws, I've never been able to completely extract Rattle and Hum from my heart. I don't think it's outrageously revisionist to declare Rattle and Hum the most quotable rock documentary ever; after rewatching it last week, I'm convinced that wannabe heirs like Coldplay and Kings of Leon have missed out by not referencing Rattle and Hum constantly, like rappers nodding to Scarface. "Am I buggin' you? I don't mean to bug ya"; "Charles Manson stole this song from the Beatles; we're stealin' it back"; "OK, Edge, play the blues"; "Apar-TIGHT!" — Rattle and Hum is rivaled only by This Is Spinal Tap in the memorable-lines department, and U2 didn't have the benefit of some of the world's finest improv-comedy minds coming up with their material. Christopher Guest might be a genius, but he's no Bono in Rattle and Hum.

What's most striking about Rattle and Hum now is how different it is from the majority of rock documentaries made in the past 10 years. The primary criticism of Rattle and Hum in 1988 was that U2 comes off as self-important and presumptuous about its place in rock history. But there really wasn't a question about whether making a movie about U2 was valid; the band's status at the time inarguably justified a film backed by a major studio (Paramount) that opened on nearly 1,400 screens. U2 is presented in Rattle and Hum with the assumption that the audience already accepts the band's importance as a given. There are no talking heads making the case for The Joshua Tree being a seminal album, nor is there a brief history lesson on U2's career achievements. The band members aren't even formally introduced; like the '60s rock films it emulates (Don't Look Back, Gimme Shelter), Rattle and Hum operates in a world where guitar-slinging documentary subjects can be credibly portrayed as avatars for larger truths about contemporary society. When we see the Edge jam with a Harlem gospel choir, or Bono harangue a concert audience in Denver about Desmond Tutu, it's supposed to mean something beyond the narrative of a successful rock tour. Even if the execution of Rattle and Hum isn't entirely successful, that doesn't mean pointing cameras at U2 in 1987 wasn't a sound strategy for magnifying pop culture at the time.

Rattle and Hum
(along with 1991's Madonna: Truth or Dare) marks the end of this era of rock documentaries. If Rattle and Hum were made today, it would look like Mistaken for Strangers, a "very honest, personal narrative"5 about indie band the National that premiered earlier this month at the Tribeca Film Festival. Strangers resembles Rattle and Hum in the broad strokes: It follows a successful rock band on tour behind its most popular album (2010's High Violet) and shows the band members commiserating with Certifiably Important Public Figures (including President Obama and director Werner Herzog). But the films are dramatically different in terms of scope: Rattle and Hum attempts to place U2 at the center of the world's most serious conversations about weighty issues like apartheid, the U.S. military intervention in El Salvador, and the "troubles" in Ireland, while Mistaken for Strangers uses the rock-doc format to tell a more intimate story about two brothers — the National's lead singer, Matt Berninger, and the film's director, Tom Berninger — attempting to reconcile after a period of estrangement. Rattle and Hum, for better or worse, reflects the sociopolitical values and attitudes of a specific segment of culture at a specific moment in time; Mistaken for Strangers narrows its focus on one guy (and his quirky metalhead brother) in one band. Strangers does not set out to define what the National is supposed to mean in a larger cultural setting; like most 21st-century rock documentaries, it implies that music has no larger meaning.

I know, I quite like that review by 'Todd'. It's well done and funny. (I posted it here some time ago, and got flamed by the sycophants.)

The fairest way to look at the film is as a product of its time, as the review you link suggests. For an even more pretentious film of the era, may I suggest everyone watch Sting's Bring On The Night (1986), in which we get to see Sting cutting his newborn's umbilical cord, musing in shadows over the wonderful moment when he first heard a laborer singing 'Roxanne' ("a great privilege"), and predicting his Paris concerts are "a risk" because he's playing some new songs (gasp!).

Not to send it down a "most-cringeworthy-moment" path when we're supposed to focusing on its merits, but I always laugh at this:
"I related to the Elvis movies 'cause I worked myself for a couple o' years. I was what they called a glorified messenger boy."

Likewise, I know my first job at age 15, picking garbage off a parking lot, helped me relate to Blue Hawaii.

Seriously. I want to yell "Oh, GOOOOOOOD FOR YOU!" at the screen when I watch it. Sometimes I actually do.

Well, it sure is when you read a line and then look up, nodding wisely, looking smug like you just wrote the greatest fucking line ever.

*shudder*

Most singers in a band at that fame level would probably read to no one.

:shrug:

Preaching during songs is far more annoying, and egomaniacal. eta : or four whiteys from Ireland playing the blues and passing it to...American audiences as some massive discovery.

I thought Adam came across well, with his one line about the rule against mixing "politics and music" being bullshit. Actually, it's the same with U2 By U2 (the book) -- Adam's comments, though fewer, are about a hundred times more interesting and enlightening than everybody else's. They should have just isolated his comments and called it U2 By Adam.

The guitar solo on "All I Want Is You" is the greatest guitar solo ever.

So, "Rattle & Hum" has that going for it.

The guitar solo on "All I Want Is You" is the greatest guitar solo ever.

So, "Rattle & Hum" has that going for it.

Love it with all my soul, but I can never unsee the fucking floppy-haired angsty dwarf and the dead trapeze caravan bint, and that would be what typically springs instantly to mind whenever I hear it.

The cassette for this album was my introduction. I was 11 at the time and only played certain songs off of it. Most were lost on me at the time because I was 11. I actually thought U2 were some old 70's band for a while. But I forgot about them honestly until 1991 when Achtung Baby came out.

It would be cool if the individual concerts that were filmed for the movie were released on their own, in their entirety.

I think some of the criticism with the film was how the black and white footage was dark and shadowy and it gave off the "we are super serious" vibe. If you've gone to the shows or seen bootlegs of Joshua Tree shows they weren't that serious all the time.

Wow, nice OP by namkcuR! :up:

Unfortunately, I think the band's own revisiting of their history, repeatedly, for books and documentaries, has made them actually believe that Rattle & Hum was a disaster. It was in fact an enormous success. Aside from the overwhelming commercial success of the album (all-time record-breaking sales in the UK, for example, surpassing The Joshua Tree), there were a lot of positive reviews (since forgotten). In the USA, Rolling Stone gave the album a 4-star review, for example. Ask anyone too young to remember, though, and they're convinced the album was a travesty and a disaster.

The band may have been disappointed with how the movie was received, but I don't think they've ever expressed disappointment with the album itself. All four R&H singles appeared on The Best of 1980-1990, in a cohesive chunk at the end of the disc. None of their other 80s albums got that much space. I think they're more or less still proud of R&H.

I also think it's interesting how R&H builds a bridge between JT and Achtung Baby. It's not all Sun Studios and Americana. You could already hear the European and dance elements creeping in on R&H, especially God Part II and the "3D Dance Mixes" promo.

Someone should make a gif of this moment...

qSLBTu.gif

I forgot about the dramatic hand motions. :lmao:

qSLBTu.gif

I forgot about the dramatic hand motions. :lmao:
B.B. is thinking "Come with me Bono to the Delta, I will lead the way to a ramshackled juke joint, on the outskirts of town, that's only heat source is a burning oil drum, dollar Pabst in a can, and I will show you the blues".

The band may have been disappointed with how the movie was received, but I don't think they've ever expressed disappointment with the album itself. All four R&H singles appeared on The Best of 1980-1990, in a cohesive chunk at the end of the disc. None of their other 80s albums got that much space. I think they're more or less still proud of R&H.

I also think it's interesting how R&H builds a bridge between JT and Achtung Baby. It's not all Sun Studios and Americana. You could already hear the European and dance elements creeping in on R&H, especially God Part II and the "3D Dance Mixes" promo.
Excellent points.

And thanks LemonMelon for the gif. Now, we can relive that sketchy moment for eternity on Interference...!

I thought Adam came across well, with his one line about the rule against mixing "politics and music" being bullshit. Actually, it's the same with U2 By U2 (the book) -- Adam's comments, though fewer, are about a hundred times more interesting and enlightening than everybody else's. They should have just isolated his comments and called it U2 By Adam.

He says too little for a proper comparison with the other three.

I know, I quite like that review by 'Todd'. It's well done and funny. (I posted it here some time ago, and got flamed by the sycophants.)

The fairest way to look at the film is as a product of its time, as the review you link suggests. For an even more pretentious film of the era, may I suggest everyone watch Sting's Bring On The Night (1986), in which we get to see Sting cutting his newborn's umbilical cord, musing in shadows over the wonderful moment when he first heard a laborer singing 'Roxanne' ("a great privilege"), and predicting his Paris concerts are "a risk" because he's playing some new songs (gasp!).

A very non pretentious reviwer...nice touch with the shady lights, the hood and dramatic tone in the voice.

1) Missed the point on Helter Skelter. Same goes for collaborations -- they weren't making themselves equal, they were fans, but that is a common misconception. Writing a sequel to one of Lennon's best known songs was more dodgy.
2) More human (ie the band behind the hype) moments like Larry musing on the tackyness of Elvis' grave might make Rattle and Hum more interesting. Or more genuine musical interactions like I still haven't found... in the church. But sadly it's more into Bono preaching mid-songs (great point, even when it works - like SBS) and announcing to the world U2 discovered the blues.
3) It is Bono-centric, but the live footage is great. We are serious has always been their MO.
4) Play the blues. Apparently not, and that is another good point*. As is the band looking like deer in headlights.
5) MLK issue. :shrug:

*ironically their best blues moment is that other version of Silver and Gold, recorded years earlier.

I'm not 100% sure we can fault them for the tone of B's rant during "Sunday..." in R&H.

You have to remember that this was filmed on the day of the Enniskillen bombing and emotions were raw and running high.

I was working in Galway on the day of the Omagh bombing in '98 and I was blind with rage and despair over what happened. And I'm not even an Irishman.

I can understand how the band's reaction to the events of the day have come to be construed as "preachy", but I think we have to look at that particular performance in context more than any other.

Yes. I actually hated the Todd in the Shadows review. He's right that those are cringey moments, but he looks an awful lot like a smug-ass punk sitting by himself in the dark making snarky remarks for cheap snickers on youtube to me.

I'm not 100% sure we can fault them for the tone of B's rant during "Sunday..." in R&H.
I agree, and nothing to fault there! I concur with the 'Todd in the Shadows' guy who says that Bono's SBS rant is the best moment in the entire film. That's just raw emotion, without (much) calculation. Gotta love it.

1) Missed the point on Helter Skelter. Same goes for collaborations -- they weren't making themselves equal, they were fans, but that is a common misconception.
I know what you mean, but the fact that so many people interpreted it a certain way does mean the band are at fault. You know, it's the old argument of "I didn't mean to insult anyone when I called him a redneck hillbilly" -- intent vs. actual effect. If there is a negative effect, you have to assign some blame, and most of it goes to the people who spoke.

After all, U2 themselves made a very conscious decision to do things like putting a Beatles song first on the album they knew 10 million people were waiting for, and filming Bono coming down from Mt. Sinai with the tablet-lyrics for 'When Loves Comes to Town'.

(As it happens, I think 'Helter Skelter' off the top was a brilliant and ballsy move, and I love it. But I can see where that -- and other things -- rub some people wrong way.)
Writing a sequel to one of Lennon's best known songs was more dodgy.
Probably. (Not really one of his best-known songs, though, even if it is from his best album.) Killer song anyway!

They really need to reissue this album.

Reissued, remastered & given the deluxe treatment.

Separate the live and studio stuff like they should have to start with. Put all the studio tracks (including the b-sides) from the R&H era onto one disc, and ALL the live tracks from the film on another. Call the studio disc "Rattle & Sun" and call the live disc "Outside it's America". Include the old fan club Point Depot disc as well.

Unfortunately, restoring & including an expanded version of the R&H film in such a set is a little more complicated b/c Paramount owns all that footage, but a full video of a Lovetown performance, which U2 does own, would be nice as well.

Back
Top Bottom