Rattle & Hum...20something years later..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I became a U2 fan when The Joshua Tree came out, but at the time I was in such dire financial straits that I often found myself with a grand total of $5 in my bank account, so I just taped their songs off the radio rather than buying the album (fortunately there was a local station that loved U2 and played even non-singles like Red Hill Mining Town). When Rattle and Hum came out I was doing a bit better, so I went out and bought it on cassette. I remember being all excited because it was a double album. So much new U2 music at once! I played that tape until it broke.

I have long since bought all of U2's albums, and R&H probably ranks somewhere in the middle of the pack, but it definitely has a sentimental place in my heart.

As for the movie, I didn't see it when it came out in theaters. I didn't see it until 10 years later when it got played on some cable channel, and eventually I bought it on VHS. I think all the performances are amazing, but the in-between stuff is either cringe-worthy or just boring. I always fast-forward through those parts.

It would be a nice bonus to have the entire concerts that were filmed for the movie, as separate concerts to watch all the way through as bonuses or something.

^
That would be too awesome!!!

I remember travelling 90 minutes to see the movie as a freshman in high school. It was my first U2 concert experience in a sense... I was awestruck!!! Great film and album!!! Wish they would come out with a remastered version with bonus concerts!:hyper:

Can we get a version where they do not chop up In God's Country? I agree that we should be able to see the shows in their entirety.

I guess I was 11 years old when R&H came out and was taken to see it in the theater by my brothers and their friends. I really didn't have a say in the matter. At that point in my life I was a big Guns N Roses fan.

I remember thinking that the order of the live songs in the movie was the order in which they were played during U2 shows. So I assumed they always opened shows with Helter Skelter.

I was a bit young so you know.

Speaking of verses... Haha the scene in the movie where Bono is telling Adam, not the first first not the second verse but the third verse.

He sounded kind of mean.

:lol: He does sound kind of bossy there.

You know what other little Bono moment makes me cringe? When he's sitting there reading the lyrics for When Love Comes to Town to BB King and he says the line "I rolled the dice while they pierced his side, but I've seen love conquer the great divide."

And he turns his head to look at someone, nodding his head and looking like Yeah. I wrote that. I'm hot shit.

Stop that, Bono. :tsk:

And he turns his head to look at someone, nodding his head and looking like Yeah. I wrote that. I'm hot shit.

Stop that, Bono. :tsk:

Yeah, moments like that kindof detracted from the movie. I mean, those are realistic moments in a creative process and nothing inherently wrong with feeling great about writing something incredible...but taken on it's own in a quick clip compiled with other similar moments in one movie..welllll... ;)

Exactly. I don't care if he's cocky, it just makes it more understandable as to how there was a backlash at that point. :lol:

But honestly, the performances in the movie more than make up for the other, more awkward parts.

Exactly. I don't care if he's cocky, it just makes it more understandable as to how there was a backlash at that point. :lol:

But honestly, the performances in the movie more than make up for the other, more awkward parts.

Yep....funny in another thread (the one about worst U2 song) I remembered something because I went through all the albums trying to find which song I hated on each album. There isn't a SINGLE song on R&H I don't like. Not one. Man those years were good.

Back
Top Bottom