Rating Rate the Song Threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for your effort. For the record, I used to love these threads when there were less at one time.

Also, I realize that it is easy for me to be an armchair quarterback when you are the one doing all the work.

Thanks again and also for not taking offense to this thread as it was / is not intended as such.

I honestly appreciate the feedback, and thank you for not being mean about it. To be honest, I'm not totally certain what the best way to run these contests is. I'm definitely going to consider slowing the pace down. And I am definitely going to cap myself in the future at opening about six polls at once, maximum.

redhill said:
So no one else's threads are of interest?

In EYKIW? Not particularly.

I spend 90% of my Interference time in some Lemonade Stand subforum or other. The world only spins forward and all that.

You sure like to ASSume!

That statement proves my point. With less immediate news to talk about, why should the diversity of subject matter on the first page be cut in half? It makes more sense to protect that diversity in these times and not further dilute it.

Maybe you're just arguing for the sake of being argumentative.

Do you have any position either way or are you just being an irritant?

What is your opinion on the matter apart from browbeating me?

You are ASSuming as much!

If there's not that much subject matter to talk about, it stands to reason that the threads would only fall, at most, a page or two due to the rate the song survivor, so I can't really see how your being too lazy to click the next page button is really a mass detriment to the rest of the forum.

My stance is, I just want this to be over with already. If John had finished it the first time around (damn him for being busy with real life), this would be a non-issue.

Oh, and pray for a new album. Sacrifice animals if you have to.

I pray Bono stops worrying so much about relevance and trying to recreate a mood and era when that is impossible.

That said, if it works and they release another "masterpiece" which gets significant airplay on the radio...

I honestly appreciate the feedback, and thank you for not being mean about it. To be honest, I'm not totally certain what the best way to run these contests is. I'm definitely going to consider slowing the pace down. And I am definitely going to cap myself in the future at opening about six polls at once, maximum.

Please don't. There's absolutely no real reason to slow it down when there's been like three detractors, tops.

In EYKIW? Not particularly.

I spend 90% of my Interference time in some Lemonade Stand subforum or other. The world only spins forward and all that.

Well I don't know about arbitrarily dismissing others' threads but I appreciate the tip as I don't ever go there and will check it out.

Well I don't know about arbitrarily dismissing others' threads but I appreciate the tip as I don't ever go there and will check it out.

So are you a Blue Crack addict, or just an Everything You Know Is Wrong addict, then?

That doesn't even make since. A poll is opinion, what you're looking for is hard and fast fact.

That doesn't even make since. A poll is opinion, what you're looking for is hard and fast fact.

This statement saying mine did not make sense does not make sense. Am I entering the twilight zone?

How am I looking for fact when polls are intended to indicate percentages of opinion? I would be curious to see what that sort of poll would produce.

* It would be useful for digitize, the mods, and the board itself *

redhill said:

It's not arbitrary at all. Most of the survivng EYKIW threads succeeded some earlier thread about reissues or song titles. Seen it all before; I've no interest.

I guess, even if the negative feedback has literally no impact on the current situation, we likely won't be rating songs for a very long time. At least in this manner. I sincerely hope we don't have to.

This statement saying mine did not make sense does not make sense. Am I entering the twilight zone?

The place is a madhouse feels like being cloned my beacon's been moved under moon and star where am I to go now that I've gone too far

How am I looking for fact when polls are intended to indicate percentages of opinion? I would be curious to see what that sort of poll would produce.

It would be useful for digitize, the mods, and the board itself.

I love that, because you, and like one other person have complained about the situation, you think it should be rectified.

I love that, because you, and like one other person have complained about the situation, you think it should be rectified.

Not sure that I would categorize it as a complaint. I would say I was expressing a frustration and was curious if others felt the same.

I don't know how people feel and neither do you. That is why I suggested a poll.

Even digitize himself just posted that he is not sure and appreciates the feedback.

I have a slight preference for keeping up the current pace, for a few reasons. First of all, for statistical purposes, it's generally best to keep this over as compact a time period as possible to try to get as close to a homogenous voting group throughout the series as is conceivable. Second of all, there's a minor chance that something legitimate in U2-land could happen in the next few months, and I'd rather not have this series finishing up on top of that - I prefer to contain it all in boring, relatively news-less times. Third, as I said earlier, EYKIW is rather devoid of discussion right now, and in the time of no polls, there really weren't more than a handful of posts per day in here. Because of that, lacking a good amount of support for slowing down, I'm hesitant to do so. However, none of those reasons for keeping up the current pace are particularly major, except for the last one. And the last one would be a moot point if a lot of people complained about the current pace. As of now, I've counted very few. However, I would encourage anyone else who would like to slow this down to mention it, because I am definitely open to change if change is demanded.

I don't think that opening a poll about this is a horrible idea, as long as the question is worded reasonably.

I have a slight preference for keeping up the current pace, for a few reasons. First of all, for statistical purposes, it's generally best to keep this over as compact a time period as possible to try to get as close to a homogenous voting group throughout the series as is conceivable. Second of all, there's a minor chance that something legitimate in U2-land could happen in the next few months, and I'd rather not have this series finishing up on top of that - I prefer to contain it all in boring, relatively news-less times. Third, as I said earlier, EYKIW is rather devoid of discussion right now, and in the time of no polls, there really weren't more than a handful of posts per day in here. Because of that, lacking a good amount of support for slowing down, I'm hesitant to do so. However, none of those reasons for keeping up the current pace are particularly major, except for the last one. And the last one would be a moot point if a lot of people complained about the current pace. As of now, I've counted very few. However, I would encourage anyone else who would like to slow this down to mention it, because I am definitely open to change if change is demanded.

I don't think that opening a poll about this is a horrible idea, as long as the question is worded reasonably.

How might you propose it be worded? Or do you feel that that is not for you to say?

Would you be willing to create that poll or would that be too rich?

How might you propose it be worded? Or do you feel that that is not for you to say?

Well, my biggest concern would be making sure that it only has two options (as in, we should have something like: "choose the best option: status quo, half the rate of polls, quarter the rate of polls, quarter the rate of polls and the time that they're open, make a new subforum of EYKIW, make a new subforum of Lemonade Stand, send to the games forum, or burn in hell, Digitize"), because otherwise it would be basically statistically meaningless. I think there are two different ways that it could be phrases - either "Would you prefer that the rate the song polls move at the current rate or at a slower rate", or "Is the current rate too fast?". The latter would likely return far more no votes than the former would return votes for the current rate. However, I think I would prefer the latter anyway, because if people, given their druthers, would have it go slower, but don't particularly care, I'm not sure that's reason enough to mess with how this contest is run right in the middle of it. It makes a difference that we are right in the middle of a contest largely because of how long polls are open. If polls were only open for a day, as happened on at least once occasion in the past, then we could move more rapidly with fewer polls at once. I personally think that that is way too fast. They're open for four days now, but because multiple sets of polls are open at once, they move at the rate that they would if they were opened every two days. Regardless, though, for fairness reasons, I am absolutely not willing to cut the number of days that each poll is open when all of the 80s songs had their polls open for the full four days.

Redhill needs to make all of the non-poll threads in EYKIW from now on. Get the blood going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom