Rare Interview from Pop Era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carrie Anderson

War Child
Last edited:
Well it was actually in 97 right after the beginning of the tour.

Good interview. Interesting that he actually admitted his voice issues.

And Edge was on fire even back then.:drool:

Is there any text file of this interview? Becuase sometimes its a bit hard to hear what he says, Im very intressting in hearing when he talks about his voice, maybe anyone here who hear all he says could quote? :)

Good interview :up: I really enjoyed it.

Bono sounded pretty tired and still seem to have some nagging doubts about the whole Popmart campaign, but managed to remain upbeat and positive about the whole thing.

Interesting to hear him being so honest about the fact that his voice hadn't quite found it's stride and wasn't quite so 'agile in the higher register's'.

It's been quite well documented that he was pretty depressed at the start of the tour and I suppose its understandable when you consider all the attendant problems he was dealing with at that time, struggling to get a handle on the technology, figuring out how to play the new songs, the mixed press reaction along with his vocal difficulties, he must have felt more than a little daunted by what they had embarked upon.

Is there any text file of this interview? Becuase sometimes its a bit hard to hear what he says, Im very intressting in hearing when he talks about his voice, maybe anyone here who hear all he says could quote? :)

I have a transcript of this at home from the actual Fanzine, so let me know which parts you want to clarify and I will post later. :)

Those about his voice, thanks :)

Okay Peterrrrr..... here goes. This is a direct transcript of the part of the interview about his voice. "B" is of course yer man, and "D" is Debbi Voisey, who did the interview.

B - Yeah, we're really hitting... the shows are better than I remember at this stage on Zoo TV. I mean, they're more..Adam and Larry are more on it, Edge is playing with a lot of fire :)cute:). My voice maybe... still, it seems to be like, it's just not quite as agile at the top registers, but on the lower registers and in the middle I'm singing better than on the last tour. Maybe I've just become a man. Puberty has finally hit!

D - It's about time! We noticed that your voice was a bit dodgy a couple of weeks ago when you were being interviewed.

B - Yeah.

D - But it sounds okay now.

B - I strained it in Las Vegas. Opening in Las Vegas, in the dryness of the desert with nil humidity is apparently a sucker-punch for a singer. So I've been paying the price for that for the last few weeks. But, I'm starting to really enjoy it and - yeah, I'm flying!

B - Yeah, we're really hitting... the shows are better than I remember at this stage on Zoo TV. I mean, they're more..Adam and Larry are more on it, Edge is playing with a lot of fire :)cute:). My voice maybe... still, it seems to be like, it's just not quite as agile at the top registers, but on the lower registers and in the middle I'm singing better than on the last tour.

Heh. Mr hype at his best.

Back
Top Bottom