Rank Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Zooropa 6/10
2. Babyface 3/10
3. Numb 9/10
4. Lemon 7/10
5. Daddy's Gonna Pay 6/10
6. Stay 10/10
7. Some Days Are Better Than Others 1/10
8. The First Time 7/10
9. Dirty Day 3/10
10 The Wanderer 4/10

Stay is my absolute favorite U2 song, so I definitely have a soft spot for Zooropa. I also really like Numb and Lemon. Everything else though is almost complete garbage. Dirty Day, Babyface, Some Days are some of the worst songs U2 has ever made.

Awesomeist thing about Zooropa: getting Johnny Cash, pre-Rick-Rubin-guided-revival, to sing over a simulacra of a shitty Holiday Inn backing about leaving his family for God.

Also, hardly anything recorded between about 1984 and 1999 has any place in a sentence with the words 'among their worst'.

I also like Red Light. And The Refugee. And Babyface. And Miami. And Playboy Mansion. And Some Days.

Zooropa: Brilliant album! So different from all the rest. I cannot be bothered to rank the songs at this point. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts anyway.

The only really bad song to emerge from the middle period of U2 was maybe When Love Comes To Town. That is pretty dire.

No way that's as bad as the likes of Love Rescue Me, A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel, Babyface, Miami, Trip Through Your Wires, etc.

I'd also list a third of Achtung Baby but apparently that opinion isn't cool.

I really like Love Rescue Me and (although it was not quite album material) I fucking love A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel. In fact the only problem I really have with Rattle and Hum is the live versions (and live covers) are mostly nothing special. Most of the new tracks are... interesting. And in God Part II there's a nice foreshadowing of the kind of self-skewering swagger that would mark the early 90s.

I love Trip Through Your Wires. That's a song I've never understood any of the disdain for. I mean, Some Days has some rather goofy lyrics, Babyface is creepy, etc. I get the hate there, though I completely disagree with it. Trip has always seemed likable enough to me.

I love Trip Through Your Wires. That's a song I've never understood any of the disdain for. I mean, Some Days has some rather goofy lyrics, Babyface is creepy, etc. I get the hate there, though I completely disagree with it. Trip has always seemed likable enough to me.

It has that insufferable country-western vibe, and the vocal melody is very annoying.

Good album though.

It has that insufferable country-western vibe, and the vocal melody is very annoying.

Good album though.

This. Plus TTYW sticks out like a sore thumb, which is weird given the strong American influences on JT but there you go. If they'd kept Heartland - which was originally meant to be on the album - or used Spanish Eyes, there wouldn't have been a problem. Plus those are both much better songs.

When people say that dad rock isn't a meaningful phrase, I point to REO Speedwagon's 'Baby You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet', and When Love Comes to Town.

Oh and also Life Is A Highway.

Haha no kidding.

Trip Through Your Wires is fucking awesome.

Friggin'.

Old Time Rock and Roll by Bob Seger is the very sin qua non of dad rock.

On the other hand I quite like Night Moves, although it is arguably just as much dad rock.

Back
Top Bottom