Rank Your Favorite Songs on the Album Part 9: Rattle And Hum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
U2-Rattle%20And%20Hum-58904.jpg

This one, I think we should just rank the studio songs only. None of the unnecessary live filler that is on the album.

---AMONG U2's BEST SONGS---
1 - All I Want Is You
2 - Hawkmoon 269
3 - Angel of Harlem
---FANTASTIC---
4 - God Part II
5 - Desire
6 - Heartland
---GREAT SONGS---
7 - Love Rescue Me
8 - When Love Comes To Town

1. All I Want Is You - 10/10
2. Hawkmoon 269 - 9/10
3. Desire - 8.5/10
4. Heartland - 8/10
5. Angel of Harlem - 7.5/10
6. God Part II - 7/10
7. When Love Comes To Town - 7/10
8. Love Rescue - 7/10

The album, taken as a whole, is a trainwreck, but so much fun to listen to with fans (it's a very good road trip record too). The movie is even better/worse.

1 - All I Want Is You 10/10
2 - Heartland 9/10
3 - Van Diemen's Land 8/10
4 - When Love Comes To Town 7/10
5 - Hawkmoon 269 7/10
6 - Desire 6/10
7 - Silver And Gold 6/10
8 - Angel Of Harlem 5/10
9 - God Part II 5/10
10 - Love Rescue Me 4/10

Magnificent:
1. All I want is you
2. Heartland
3. Angel of Harlem

Great:
4. Desire
5. Love rescue me
6. When love comes to town
7. Hawkmoon 269
8. Silver and gold
9. Van Diemen's Land

Good:
10. God part II

I can't get over how good the first three on my list are.

I could listen to those songs non-stop for life and I'd be set.

love the entire album really. this album could be Bono's masterpiece in vocals..Bono is just so.. passioned, red hot, with soulful vocals throughout..

1. when love comes to town- love the live versions with BB King, studio version is amazing, love Bono's vocals..
2. Heartland
3. All I want is you
4. Desire
5. Angel of harlem
6. love rescue me
7 van diemens land
8. silver and gold
9. God part ll
10. hawkmoon 269

love the whole album

R&H is one of those good ones, but not as good as the others.

MOST LISTENED
1. All I Want Is You
2. Heartland
3. Desire
4. Angel Of Harlem
LEAST LISTENED
5. Hawkmoon 269
6. When Love Comes To Town
7. God Part II
8. Love Rescue Me

Van Diemen's Land = somewhere in the Most Listened
Silver and Gold = beginning of Least Listened

1. All I Want Is You
2. Heartland
3. Desire
4. God Part II
5. Hawkmoon 269
6. Angel Of Harlem
7. When Love Comes To Town
8. Silver & Gold
9. Van Diemen's Land
10. Love Rescue Me

Very odd mix of stuff on here, but it's still a fun listen. And I enjoy the movie as well. I kinda wish they'd put the live versions of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "With Or Without You" in here, though.

1. Angel Of Harlem (LOVE this one. Love it lots)
2. All I Want Is You
3. Desire
4. Hawkmoon 269 (One of the band's sexiest songs ever :drool:)
5. Love Rescue Me (Always picture sitting around a campfire late at night, everyone singing this song)
7. Heartland
8. Van Diemen's Land (Always nice to hear Edge pop up)
9. Silver & Gold
10. God (Part II)

Angela

So, if we're not including the live ones, why are we including 'Silver & Gold', which was two years old by the time the LP came out? Anyway...

Outstanding:
All I Want Is You

Excellent:
Hawkmoon 269
Van Diemen's Land
Love Rescue Me
Heartland
God Part II
Desire
Angel Of Harlem

Very Good:
(none)

Good:
When Love Comes To Town

Okay/Mediocre:
(none)

Poor:
(none)

So, clearly this is album -- for me -- of incredibly strong songs. The only live track that I think was just right was "Helter Skelter" -- it was manic and cleared the deck of expectations from the first track off the top. I think that worked perfectly. But the rest of the live ones...? Ugghhh...

More 'Outstanding' and 'Excellent' songs here than on their last three LPs combined.

Rarely listen to this album as a whole because it is, as Lemon Melon stated, a trainwreck. I do enjoy some of the songs immensely on their own though, although there are others which are for me, the worst of U2's output.

1. Heartland

2. Angel of Harlem
3. All I Want Is You
4. Desire

5.. Van Dieman's Land

--- these ones below are very weak in my eye (compared with the rest of U2's catalogue. They fail to strike a chord with me and I actually find them quite boring.

6. Hawkmoon 269

8. Love Rescue Me
9. God Part II

Loved this album and the movie when it came out!!! :cute: It was a great listen (and survival tool) for my freshman year in high school!:reject: Kind of disappointed that there is no intention to remaster this album! The B sides were just as fun to listen to!!!

1. Heartland
2. All I Want is You
3. Desire
4. God Part II
5. Angel of Harlem
6. Silver and Gold
7. When Love Comes to Town
8. Hawkmoon 269
9. Van Dieman's Land
10. Love Rescue Me

Oh god

Heartland

:drool:

I think this was my favorite "Rank your favorite songs" thread. Only because it made me re-listen to the album and I forgot how awesome it is.

Great:
1. All I Want Is You
2. God Part II
3. Desire

Very good:
4. Hawkmoon 269
5. Angel Of Harlem

Good:
7. Van Diemen's Land

Ehhhh:
8. Heartland
9. Silver & Gold
10. Love Rescue Me

i got this album as a gift for "being brave" as i was having surgery to reshape my mouth.

overrepresented on the 80s best of.

i never listen to it either (why would you when you can rip ALL the live songs from the dvd) but there are a few gems here.

1. All I Want is You - it took me a long while to appreciate this one, because it's much slower than most of the other studio tracks, and i always thought the two-minute string ending was gratuitous. but i have seen the light.
2. Heartland - a real shame it's buried in the movie by cinematographic shots of Larry explaining how much coming to Graceland means to him. the chorus is incredible.
~
3. Angel of Harlem - one of the most fun songs the band has ever produced, and terrific live as well.
4. Hawkmoon 269
5. God Part II - love that metallic guitar.
6. Desire
~
7. When Love Comes to Town
8. Love Rescue Me
9. Van Diemen's Land - hasn't encouraged me to visit Tasmania.

:huh: everyone does realise silver and gold is a live song and not studio, right?

my picks:
1. heartland
2. hawkmoon 269
3. all i want is you
4. god part 2
5. desire
6. angel of harlem
7. when love comes to town
8. van diemen's land
9. love rescue me

I usually don't say stuff like this cos music is so subjective but you need your head examined if you don't at least like Heartland.

1. Heartland
2. All I Want Is You
3. Hawkmoon 269
4. Desire
5. God Part II
6. Angel of Harlem
8. Van Diemen's Land
9. Love Rescue Me

I have fond memories about this album and the film. The film is so ridiculous but also has such fantastic concert footage.....that's why they invented fast-forward, I suppose. Heartland and All I Want Is You are very high up on my all-time favorite U2 songs list.

1. All I Want Is You
2. Hawkmoon 269
3. Heartland
4. Desire
5. God Part II
6. Angel of Harlem
8. Van Diemen's Land
9. Love Rescue Me

Loved Lemon Melon's description of this as a train wreck . . . I still love it . . . and absolutely it is the kind of album / film best listened to / watched with die hards . . . many happy memories of seeing Rattle N Hum multiple times with a bunch of rowdies as we all clapped and cheered and called out lines . . . too much fun :heart:

The first three songs are just ridiculous in terms of their gorgeousness ~ All I Want Is You is just beautiful, even after all these years and the thousands of times I have played it I never get sick of it ~ probably helps that it has not been a staple of live shows, who knows.

I also adore Desire and absolutely detest Love Rescue Me, it and Stuck are probably two of the only songs in the U2 catalogue that make me squirm :shrug:

Loving these threads by the way :up: and all the different takes on the albums ~ fascinating reading :)

Oops, the OP forgot(?) to rank Van Dimen's Land, and I just copied off of his list without paying attention to its contents, so I'm missing that track. Fixed:

1. All I Want Is You - 10/10
2. Hawkmoon 269 - 9/10
3. Desire - 8.5/10
4. Heartland - 8/10
5. Angel of Harlem - 7.5/10
6. Van Diemen's Land - 7.5/10
7. God Part II - 7/10
8. When Love Comes To Town - 7/10
9. Love Rescue Me - 7/10

Also...

picturex.jpg

There really is nothing to talk about, is there?

I think we should have a 'Rate Adam's various hairstyles' thread.

Could do the same for Babyface Mullen, but there's only one or two options...

Here's a sample post... just imagine how the hours would pass by:

Outstanding:
adam-clayton-primeros-tiempos-u2.jpg

Excellent:
101841176_b5905ce3e8.jpg

Very Good:
Adam+Clayton+adam_3.jpg

Good:
naomicampbell9_240.jpg

Okay/Mediocre:
554702709.jpg

Poor:
BonoAdamclayton_E_20091111131944.jpg

My mom brought me home this DVD from the video store one night when I was first getting into the band and assured me I would love it.

And I did. At the time.

I love it now, but wow for different reasons. What else can you say? It's a train wreck. But it's a fun train wreck. So unfortunate the way this thing was handled because the new material here is among their very best.

1) Heartland
2) Hawkmoon 269 - When I was in my senior year of high school, my friend's (none of whom liked U2) all caught on to this song and it became a bit of an injoke to create new lyrics to the verses. It was a great time, and when I left my senior last words, I left a line from it (among other things from it) to them. The song always gets me for that reason.
3) All I Want Is You

4) Van Diemen's Land
5) God Part II

6) Desire
7) Angel of Harlem
8) When Love Comes to Town

Only song I NEVER listen to:
9) Love Rescue Me

I :heart: Rattle & Hum. It's a shame they had to package it with those live performances just because of the movie. There is a total of 9 songs they hadn't released before which would easily justify releasing it without the other stuff.

1. Heartland
2. Hawkmoon 269
3. All I Want Is You
4. Desire
5. Angel of Harlem
6. Van Diemen's Land
7. God Part II
8. Love Rescue Me
9. When Love Comes To Town

Back
Top Bottom