Rank Your Favorite Songs on the Album Part 6: All That You Can't Leave Behind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think there was much ego in his ZooTV performances. I mean, 80% of it was a performance, in character/s. There's ego in all of it, but you shouldn't confuse the actions of those characters with 'him', as such. The run of songs where he's just 'Bono' are fine. There was a lot of cockiness in Popmart, definitely. Either cockiness or distaste - he often seemed to be almost deliberately challenging the audience, perhaps pissed off with the general level Pop/Popmart acceptance. I agree he was great on Elevation. Vertigo came with a little too much oh-so-sincere, and a tad too much choreography. And yeah, the whole of 360 + "Bono and the U2's" is often a tough one to cheer for. If all of this were matched with Atomic Bomb, rather than No Line, I'd be loooong gone.

hm? "...the whole of 360 + 'Bono and the U2's' is often a tough one to cheer for" ??

I'd argue Bono was at the peak of his cockyness during ZooTV....and since Elevation Tour he has been gradually getting closer to that again, but even so, what do you mean tough to cheer for?

Epic
Beautiful Day
Walk On

Personal favorite
Kite

Good for one tour
In A Little While
Elevation
Stuck in a Moment

Filler
When I Look At The World
New York
Grace
Wild Honey
Peace On Earth

i really do hate this album. i didn't like it when it first came out, and my views on it haven't softened over time.

the ground beneath her feet
1. beautiful day
2. walk on
3. kite
4. ialw
70. new york
100. grace
234. poe
70000. elevation
3290320923804. wilatw
472974097409230942. wild honey
37247230947230984798749187402. siamycgoo

Cool story :up:

It's the adaptability of many of the tracks on ATYCLB to an individual's emotional circumstances, which elevate this album from just being a mediocre and meandering collection of songs into something quite resonating. An escapist listening experience, a reassurance, a cause for optimism. In terms of mood and lyrical content, other U2 albums struggle to offer such alleviation from concern, and trigger such emotions. I rank this as the 3rd worst U2 album ahead of War and Rattle & Hum, but credit to the power of songs like Kite, Stuck, Grace, Wild Honey, Walk On and Beautiful Day in letting us know that we're not alone and everything's gonna be ok!

:up: spot on, my man.

yeah Wild Honey is cheesy as fuck, one of (if not the) most cringeworthy songs in their catalogue, but it's happy, y'know.

1 - Beautiful Day 9/10
2 - In A Little While 7/10
3 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of 7/10
4 - Peace On Earth 6/10
5 - Walk On 5/10
6 - Wild Honey 5/10
7 - Elevation 5/10
8 - Kite 5/10
9 - New York 4/10
10 - Grace 4/10
11 - When I Look At The World 2/10

I've yet to have ANY live experience with U2 outside of the concerts I've seen on TV or DVD, so I'm just envious of anyone who's ever gotten to go to a show :angry:. Though I am sorry you had a bad experience, bono_212. Maybe it was just an off night? Every band has those from time to time.

This was the album that finally got my attention about U2. I'd always liked the big songs I heard by them over the years, then this album came out and everyone was talking about it and raving about it on TV and in magazines and such. "Beautiful Day" was on VH1 ALL. THE. TIME. Then of course, 9/11 came along and the album seemed to take on a whole new meaning to a lot of people, it was comforting and reassuring, which is what U2's music is all about. So given all of that, and given my general liking for the U2 songs I'd heard in years previous as well as the big singles off of here, I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about. This wasn't the first album I brought upon starting my U2 fandom, but without it being all over the place I honestly don't know if I would've ever dug deeper into U2's music.

I like this album, too. The first 7 songs are strong and fantastic, then from there on out it's generally good songs, save for "Grace", which is also a favorite. And then there's "New York", which I really have to be in the mood for-it's not one of my favorites from the band. But given that I view the album as a general mix of "great" and "good" songs, I'd say that makes it a worthy listen. On with the rankings...

1. (Tie) Walk On/In A Little While (The former being one of my all-time favorite U2 songs, I love the lyrics so much and it's so inspiring, the latter is incredibly sweet and always makes me smile when I hear it)
2. Kite (It's just hit me that all the '00s albums seem to have a very personal attachment to me regarding my dad, all of which I've mentioned in their respective threads-this one is no exception. Played this song at his service)
3. Elevation (I think I like the single version a little better-it's more...punchy, or something...but great song nonetheless, it's a simple fun rock song to dance around to)
4. Beautiful Day (Yeah, got played a lot, but it's still a great song. So uplifting. This is one of my mom's absolute favorite U2 songs :D)
5. Stuck In A Moment
6. Wild Honey (I think this song's cute)
7. Grace (This and "Wild Honey" can flip back and forth)
8. Peace On Earth (Music's okay, but good lyrics in this one, been known to make me cry before)
9. When I Look At The World
10. New York

Actually, if I have one major complaint about this album it'd be that "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" wasn't on the U.S. version. If I included that it'd be a three-way tie for number one pick on here. I adore that song, it's freakin' gorgeous. Another one of my all-time favorites :heart:.

Angela

1 Beautiful Day
2 kite
3 Walk On
4 In a Little while
5 Elevation
6 Stuck in a Moment
7 Grace
8 Peace On Earth
9 Wild Honey
10 When I look At The World
11 New York

If The Ground Beneath Her Feet had been in the album, there would have been a tie in the first place.

1. Beautiful Day
2. Walk On
3. Elevation
4. When I Look at The World
5. Kite
6. Stuck In a Moment
7. In a Little While
8. New York
9. Peace on Earth
10. Wild Honey
11. Grace

I was excited when "Beautiful Day" came out on the radio, and U2 had returned to its roots in the 80s. However, the album, I find is difficult to listen as a whole for me and was a disappointment for me. I find myself skipping through the songs rated 7-11 quite a bit.:|

Great:
1. Kite
2. In A Little While
3. Beautiful Day
4. Walk On

Very good:
5. Elevation
6. Stuck In a Moment
7. Wild Honey

Good:
8. New York
9. Grace

Ok:
10. Peace on Earth
11. When I Look at The World

ATYCLB is the album that made me a major U2 fan, so for that reason it will always remain special. I think the album still sounds fresh, both optimistic and deeply melancholic, with even summery breezy numbers like Wild Honey having something bittersweet at the core. The last four songs aren't as strong, but the run from Beautiful Day to Wild Honey is :heart:.

Excellent/Not Overplayed/Don't Listen to the Haters/Song That Introduced Me To U2:
Beautiful Day

Very Good/I Should Listen to These More:
When I Look at the World
New York
Walk On
Kite
In A Little While

Still Pretty Good/We Haven't Hit Rock Bottom Yet:
Elevation

I'm All Set, Thanks:
Wild Honey
Peace on Earth

Probably 1 Play Count in iTunes:
Grace

Oh, Here's the Rock Bottom:
37247230947230984798749187402. siamycgoo

This album falls in the middle of my U2 pack... so over to my iTunes ratings to make the call per track:

01. Beautiful Day
02. Kite
03. New York

04. Elevation
05. Walk On
06. When I Look At The World

07. Stuck in A Moment
08. Grace
09. Peace on Earth

10. Wild Honey
11. In A Little While (please drop this from the tour!!)

Back
Top Bottom