Rank Your Favorite Songs on the Album Part 6: All That You Can't Leave Behind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Solid album - the one that dragged myself (as well as quite a few others, I imagine) into U2 fandom.

11) Grace
10) When I Look at the World
9) Peace on Earth
8) New York
7) Wild Honey
6) Elevation
5) In a Little While
4) Walk On
3) Stuck in a Moment...
2) Kite
1) Beautiful Day

Some of my favorite U2 songs... unfortunately, it is probably the most top-heavy record in the band's discography. The somewhat mediocre latter half of the album just cannot measure up to the high standard preceding it.

more top heavy than

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Seconds
New Year's Day
Like a Song...
Drowning Man

?

incidentally, edge25, keep doing these in random order, i think it's cool.

Oh dear, here we go.

Very Fine U2 Listening
0. The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Fine U2 Listening
1. When I Look At The World

Alright U2 Listening
2. Walk On
3. Kite

Just Don't Really Care
4. New York
5. Beautiful Day
6. Elevation
7. Wild Honey
8. Grace
9. Peace On Earth

Ugh
10. In A Little While
11. Stuck In A Moment

Also the first U2 album I ever heard and I still very much like. It's just an easy, feel-good album but it doesn't have to be more for me.

Classic U2:
1. Kite
(The Ground Beneath Her Feet)
2. In A Little While
3. Walk On

Great:
4. Beautiful Day
5. New York
6. Wild Honey
7. When I Look At The World

Good:
8. Elevation
9. Stuck In Moment

Boring
10. Peace On Earth
11. Grace

more top heavy than

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Seconds
New Year's Day
Like a Song...
Drowning Man

?

incidentally, edge25, keep doing these in random order, i think it's cool.
While all those songs are great, there are still a few gems in the second half (Two Hearts..., Surrender, "40"). I find, with the possible exception of "New York," the entire second half of ATYCLB simply pales in comparison. You could perhaps make a case for POP, but "Please" is just :drool:

This is all just IMO, of course... :wink:

Wow, this thread on ATYCLB shot to five pages rather quickly.
I usually try to wait till each thread gets to like 4 pages before I start a new one. Didn't think this one would get as much attention though.

I first became a big U2 fan back in early 2005. I started with this album. This is the one that caused me to fall in love with U2. I remember the first time I heard Beautiful Day, I got tears in my eyes. Along with when I heard Stuck and Kite. I still remember listening to it in full for days on end. Then I listened to HTDAAB in full. Didn't care for it as much as ATYCLB, but I still decided to check out more U2.
Listened to Joshua Tree and fell in love with them even more. When I heard Achtung Baby...I just...wow....my jaw literally fell to the floor. I never thought I could love a band more than I did U2. Achtung Baby quickly became my favorite album of all time and it still is.

So ATYCLB will always hold a special place in my heart for being the album that sparked my absolute love of U2.

the first ones weren`t too hard to think about, but the others was harder to choose from, but here we go

1. Kite
2. Stuck in a moment
3. In a little while
4. Elevation
5. Beautiful day
6. Walk on
7. When i look at the world
8. Ney York
9. wild honey
10. Peace on earth
11. grace

Ohh much much LOVE, ATYCLB, my favorite U2 album! :loveshower:
I'm still very proud of this album cause it brings me comfort in a way I can't describe.. after listening to it, I became a huge U2 fan and it was love at first listen..thank you for being a part of my life. :love::love::love::love:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Kite \ The Ground Beneath Her Feet
3. Walk On
4. When I Look At The World
5. In A Little While
6. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
7. Peace On Earth
8. Grace
9. New York
10. Wild Honey
11. Elevation

1. Kite
2. Beautiful Day
3. Walk On
4. In A Little While
5. Wild Honey
6. When I Look At The World
7. Stuck
8. Peace On Earth
9. Grace
10. New York
11. Elevation

My least favourite album.....

1. Kite
2. When I look at the World
3. Beautiful day
4. Elevation
5. In a little while
6. New York
7. Walk on
8. Grace
9. Stuck in a moment
10. Peace on earth
11. Wild honey :down:

The best part of this album was the Free-Per-View that DirecTV did for Christmas. So many cool insider U2 things I got to see from that. Every day I went to my dad's that December I watched the entirity of that program, which meant that I saw the Boston show an insane amount of times. I recently threw that in again, having not seen it in years, and I really miss that Bono. He really has kind of become a d-bag live, lately, but he felt really sincere there TO ME.

Always nice to see some Elevation tour love. Sloppy as hell, ugly tour, but they (ironically) weren't afraid of the '90s yet, and Bono never seemed sweeter or more sincere to me. If there was ever a time when falling in love with U2 as a band/concept was inevitable, it was 2000-2001. U2 is much harder to cheer for these days. A shame, because their creativity is once again peaking.

I'm not completely sober right now, but can we delve further into this evolution of Bono idea? It interests me. You guys seem to be in agreement with the much harder to cheer for/Bono being a d-bag comments....can you elaborate on this? How so? I mean, I'd say 360 Bono is much more sincere and endearing than 90's Bono (specifically ZooTV)...no? Also, keep in mind the combo of his dad's death and 9/11 setting the tone/theme for the whole tour....surely that played a major role in terms of Bono being so sincere and sweet or whatever.

I don't think there was much ego in his ZooTV performances. I mean, 80% of it was a performance, in character/s. There's ego in all of it, but you shouldn't confuse the actions of those characters with 'him', as such. The run of songs where he's just 'Bono' are fine. There was a lot of cockiness in Popmart, definitely. Either cockiness or distaste - he often seemed to be almost deliberately challenging the audience, perhaps pissed off with the general level Pop/Popmart acceptance. I agree he was great on Elevation. Vertigo came with a little too much oh-so-sincere, and a tad too much choreography. And yeah, the whole of 360 + "Bono and the U2's" is often a tough one to cheer for. If all of this were matched with Atomic Bomb, rather than No Line, I'd be loooong gone.

1 The Ground Beneath Her Feet- I know most people don't count it.

2. Beautiful Day

3. In A Little While

4. New York

5. Stuck In A Moment

6. Kite

7. When I Look At The World

8. Wild Honey

9. Grace

I really don't like the rest but...

10. Peace on Earth

11. Elevation

and I really can't stand

12. Walk On

1.) Beautiful Day
2.) The Ground Beneath Her Feet
3.) Walk On
4.) When I Look At The World
5.) New York
6.) In A Little While
7.) Grace
8.) Elevation
9.) Stuck
10.) Wild Honey
11.) Peace On Earth

Solid album - the one that dragged myself (as well as quite a few others, I imagine) into U2 fandom.

Yup, I started listening to U2 about 2002ish and I've always liked it since then.

1. Beautiful Day - Sure, it's played seemingly every second of the day but take yourself back to when you first heard it.
2. When I Look At The World
3a. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
3b. Kite
4. Elevation - Not everything has to be intellectual.
5. Walk On
6. In A Little While
7. Stuck In A Moment
8. Grace
9. Wild Honey - Sure, it may sound "throwaway" like Trip Through Your Wires but that doesn't mean it has no value.
10. Peace on Earth
11. New York - Only one that doesn't do much for me.

1. Beautiful Day
2. When I Look At The World
3. Elevation
4. In A Little While
5. Kite
6. Grace
7. New York
8. Peace On Earth
9. Walk On
10. Wild Honey
11. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out For

Glad to see Beautiful Day isn't tossed away just because it's been a bit overplayed and feels "mainstream". It's a great song, one of those classic U2 songs that appeals to both the hardcore-fans and the "newer", more mainstream-fans. It definitely deserves its share of credit. :hug::up:

All That You Can't Leave Behind is a terrific album. a lot of people dislike it because it left behind the daring exercises of 90s U2. some dislike it because it's bland, uninspired and has too many bad songs. some people's hatred of it seems to have grown because they're playing four songs from it every night of the tour.

when we did the Top 50 albums in B&C, this was my third U2 pick. if we were to do that again, i'd only have AB & JT, because after those two i can't possibly rate U2's albums. but rest assured, this is pretty close to the top.

why? i've always been a worrier, a thinker, reading too much into things, assuming the worst, being pessimistic in general. this record never, ever fails to leave me feeling anything but positive. it's easily my favourite album of the decade, because it has a huge number of affecting songs on it, which is why U2 are my favourite band.

i lost my grandfather in 2005 to cirrhosis of the liver. he was in hospital, and Mum was with him. she rang Dad and told him, who told us. i cried for about an hour i reckon, because i had gone 16 years without experiencing a single loss that really hurt.

after i'd calmed down a bit, i played Kite, and i was gone again. numbers and a few others seem to think Bono is being obvious and generic, but just because the lyrics aren't wrapped up in spellbinding imagery like they are in One Tree Hill, doesn't make it any less powerful. i read out the chorus when we spread his ashes at a family wake.

in 2005 the Aussie crew at the time ran through a number of great threads lamenting the fact that it appeared we would be skipped on the Vertigo Tour. but then, just as it did for 360, an announcement appeared out of nowhere. lucky, because i was getting pretty close to trying to get my head on TV, for fear of never seeing the band i love.

then Edge's daughter got sick, and we didn't know if the shows would be cancelled or postponed. but luck was on our side and they landed in Australia in November 2006, promising "something special" because we didn't get Elevation. we guessed that meant Stuck and Walk On getting a gig, but then Axver mentioned that they'd rehearsed Kite in Brisbane, and then played it the following night - and apparently it was an amazing rendition. i remember to this day my heart jumping, hoping against hope it would make it to Melbourne.

when Kite closed out the concert i was so choked up with emotion i could barely move. the 18th November 2006 is still the best night of my life, despite the fact i've turned 18 and had many great nights out since.

and this is just one of a wealth of reasons why i believe All That You Can't Leave Behind to be a truly wonderful album.

1. Kite
~
2. When I Look at the World
3. Beautiful Day
4. Walk On
5. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
~
6. Stuck in a Moment - like inte, i had been in a rut for about two weeks, i was just miserable and didn't know why. people suggested forcing positive thought, and i did that, and then played this album, and about a minute into Stuck i was happy again, after two weeks of just feeling very down.
7. New York
8. In a Little While
9. Wild Honey
~
10. Peace on Earth
11. Grace
12. Elevation

Cool story :up:

It's the adaptability of many of the tracks on ATYCLB to an individual's emotional circumstances, which elevate this album from just being a mediocre and meandering collection of songs into something quite resonating. An escapist listening experience, a reassurance, a cause for optimism. In terms of mood and lyrical content, other U2 albums struggle to offer such alleviation from concern, and trigger such emotions. I rank this as the 3rd worst U2 album ahead of War and Rattle & Hum, but credit to the power of songs like Kite, Stuck, Grace, Wild Honey, Walk On and Beautiful Day in letting us know that we're not alone and everything's gonna be ok!

1. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
2. Beautiful Day
3. New York
4. Wild Honey
5. Kite
6. When I Look At The World
7. In A Little While
8. Summer Rain
9. Walk On
10. Elevation
11. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
12. Grace
13. Peace On Earth

i'm not really into rankings anymore, but i will say that "When I Look At The World" is one of U2's best and most underrated songs in their catalog.

Outstanding:
1. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
2. Beautiful Day

Excellent:
3. Peace On Earth
4. Kite

Very Good:
5.Walk On
6. In a Little While
7. When I Look at the World
8. Wild Honey

Good:
9. Elevation
10. Grace
11. New York

Superb:
1. Kite
2. Beautiful Day
3. Stuck
4. In a Little While
5. When I Look at the World

Okay:
6. New York
7. Walk On

Pretty much can't stand:
8. Grace
9. Elevation
10. Wild Honey
11. Peace on Earth

Now that we know when Bono is/isn't being a d-bag live and it's "weird" to like ATYCLB even if you are a fan from before...

1. Stuck
2. Kite
3. In a little while (I like the soul-pop sound they had with Stuck/In a little while)

4. Beautiful day
5. Walk on (these two being overrated but still good)

6. New York
7. Wild honey
8. POE

9. Elevation
10. WILATW
11. Grace

1- Walk On
2- Kite
3- Beautiful
4- When I Look
5- Stuck
6- New York
7- In A Little
8- Elevation
9- Honey
10- Peace
11- Grace

Saw 5 shows on the Elevation tour. Good times! :up:

One of my favorite U2 albums.

MOST LISTENED
1. Beautiful Day
2. Kite
3. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
4. Elevation
5. New York
6. In A Little While
7. Walk On
LEAST LISTENED
8. When I Look At The World
9. Wild Honey
10. Peace On Earth
11. Grace

3. In a little while (I like the soul-pop sound they had with Stuck/In a little while)
:heart:

I know a lot of people seem to think ATYCLB was just U2 repeating themselves, but as far as I'm concerned, the band had never really made "soul-pop" like IALW or Stuck... Would definitely like to hear the band continue that sound. Bono's voice these days is just made for it :drool:

Back
Top Bottom