Rank Your Favorite Songs on the Album Part 1: Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do I win?

i've never heard Daddy's Gonna Stay, but you win a nice big serving of Peach Cobbler.

peach-cobbler-sl-630082-l.jpg

1. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
2. Lemon
3. The First Time
4. Numb
5. Zooropa
------------------------------------------
6. Dirty Day
7. The Wanderer
8. Babyface
9. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
10. Some Days are Better Than Others

An album of growers and stagnators, which makes it complicated:

1. Zooropa

2. Lemon
3. Stay
4. The First Time

5. The Wanderer
6. Some Days Are Better Than Others
7. Babyface
8. Numb
9. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car

10. Dirty Day

1. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
2. Zooropa
3. The First Time
4. Dirty Day
5. Lemon
6. Some Days are Better Than Others
7. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
8. Babyface
9. The Wanderer
10. Numb

1 - Numb
2 - Zooropa
3 - Lemon
4 - Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
5 - Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
6 - The Wanderer
7 - Dirty Day
8 - The First Time
9 - Some Days Are Better Than Others
10 - Babyface

Lemon
Dirty Day
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Zooropa
The Wanderer
The First Time
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Numb
Babyface

Up there with U2's best songs:
1. Lemon
2. Zooropa
3. Stay
Great songs:
4. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
5. Babyface
6. Numb
Good songs:
7. Dirty Day
8. Some Days Are Better Than Others
Average:
9. The First Time
Boring as hell:
10. The Wanderer

Lemon
Zooropa
Stay
Dirty Day
Daddy's Gonna Pay
Some Days...
The First Time
Babyface
Numb
The Wanderer

Exceptional U2 Listening
1. Zooropa

Fine U2 Listening
2. Numb
3. Lemon
4. Stay
5. The Wanderer

Decent U2 Listening
7. Dirty Day (this, of course, is exceptional live)

Mediocre U2 Listening
8. The First Time
9. Daddy's Gonna Pay

Utter Shit
10. Babyface

1. Zooropa
2. The First Time
3. Lemon*
4. Babyface
5. Stay*
7. Dirty Day*
8. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car*
9. Numb
10. The Wanderer

*Would be higher if they matched the live versions (Dirty Day would be #2, Lemon would be #3 still [with The First Time dropping], Stay would be #4 [with Babyface dropping], and Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car would be #5).

I wish these threads generated more conversation, but here goes:

1. Zooropa
2. Stay
3. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
4. The First Time
5. Dirty Day
6. The Wanderer
7. Leahhhhhmmmmmooooon
8. Some Days Are Better Than Others
9. Babyface
117. Numb

The only conversation I could come up with stuff along the lines of "Oh my god, I can't believe you think x is the worst song on th album."

:(

1. Zooropa
2. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
3. Lemon
4. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
5. The First Time
6. Dirty Day
7. Some Days Are Better Than Others
8. Babyface
9. The Wanderer
10. Numb

I usually don't partcipate in these kinds of threads for those reasons, but felt like doing them this time around. Am checking out the other lists, actually finding it somewhat interesting to see how much the rankings vary.

I couldn't buy this album the day it came out because my friend won it through a radio station and was sending it to me for my birthday. So I had to wait. :(

Does anyone else remember the syndicated TV series that was a Many-Years-Later recycle of WKRP in Cincinnati? I'm blanking on what it was called. The New WKRP or something?

Anyway, they had a promo that was a take-off of the Numb video, with Les Nessman taking the Edge role and monotone-rapping the lyrics to the WKRP theme song while other characters did random stuff behind him.

I thought that was about the best thing ever, so random.

How was that? :wink:

Wonderful!

I bought the album the day it came out. I was working that day and bought it on my lunch break.....I remember being very disappointed by "Numb" and my expectations were low.....my first listen to the album alleviated my worries.

I remember WKRP of course, but do not recall a later, similar show.....

It was one of those weird syndicated shows that weren't on prime time, that's all I remember about it, other than that promo clip.

anyway! I looked on YouTube, and there were a few opening credit videos from the remake of the show, but not the Numb take-off. Boo.

I honestly don't recall what song I heard first off the album. I'm guessing it was Numb, probably on the radio. I don't have a lot of big memories around that album.

I think I heard Numb because the video was getting aired a lot.

Next list thread in this series, I'll make sure to include an anecdote with my list.

I kind of want to include anecdotes that have nothing to do with anything.

1. Zooropa (I went to see Dr. Jones in 1987, and I had onions around my belt, which was the style at the time ...)

Oh, actually - one of the things I love about Zooropa is that it always felt like an amazing song to crank up while you're driving at night.

I couldn't buy this album the day it came out because my friend won it through a radio station and was sending it to me for my birthday. So I had to wait. :(

Does anyone else remember the syndicated TV series that was a Many-Years-Later recycle of WKRP in Cincinnati? I'm blanking on what it was called. The New WKRP or something?

Anyway, they had a promo that was a take-off of the Numb video, with Les Nessman taking the Edge role and monotone-rapping the lyrics to the WKRP theme song while other characters did random stuff behind him.

I thought that was about the best thing ever, so random.

How was that? :wink:

Oh, wow, seriously? I never saw the retooled version (never even heard of it until now), but that's actually pretty awesome. I wish there was a way to see that.

I was, um, 8 years old when Zooropa came out :p. So no fascinating anecdotes for me regarding its release. I'd never even heard any of the songs off of the album when it came out, first time I heard any was in the early part of the '00s, I think, 'cause there was a U2 "Pop-Up Video" episode on and they showed "Lemon". And I've seen the episode of "Beavis and Butt-head" where they do commentary during "Numb" :D.

Anywho, I too looked at all the lists. It seems "Stay" and "Zooropa" battle it out for top song among people here. I like this album, but some of the songs on it I kinda have to be in the mood for, and this album also has my least favorite U2 song as well, so, yeah. Ranking as follows:

1. Stay (one of my top 5 U2 songs, period. I love this one immensely)
2. Numb (I love the "Gimme Some More" mix of this song. It's fun and bouncy!)
3. Lemon
4. Babyface (I like this song :shrug:)
5. The First Time
6. The Wanderer
7. Zooropa
8. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
9. Dirty Day (this one's just never totally grabbed me. Course, I've never heard a live version of it, either, which seems to make a big difference, so I'll check one out and see how it goes)
10. Some Days Are Better Than Others

7 and 8 can go back and forth depending on my mood, as can 4 and 5, but otherwise, the rest are pretty much set where they should be.

Angela

It would also be cool if people added an anecdote, even if it were brief "First heard this when I was doing _______", that sort of thing...

Don't make me write a five paragraph thesis on why "The First Time" is my third favorite U2 song. I will do it. I f-ing will, you better watch it.

I'd read that.

And then would sit there and hate myself for not being able to write about music as well as I should be able to, which is how I always feel after reading someone's passionate explanations of why they love a song/album/band.

But it's a good self-loathing. So bring it on! :up:

Back
Top Bottom