Random U2 Thoughts Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aww, someone has to have a thought about U2 at some point.

It's Bono's birthday!

Not that I remembered.

t50UyBG.gif

achtung.jpg

Spinning the four singles from Achtung Baby and enjoying some Jameson in honor of Bono's birthday.

What a great excuse to listen to U2 and drink!

Hold on a second there.

I agree, there's no use picking at someone for trying to like something you recommended. And I doubt he listened to it on constant loop all weekend, either.

NSW listens to an album like 20 times before he comments on it and no one cares about that.

Oh god don't drag me into this shit.

Listening to something you hated the first time immediately thereafter is the stupidest shit in the world. If you weren't in the mood the first time, wait until you are to hear it a second time. Seems obvious enough, but I guess not.

Not that there's any point in criticizing others' listening habits. Things work differently for different people.

Hating music is something you ladies get all hard over.

I didn't care for it. Very different than "hate."

I'm also old enough to know that first impressions aren't the be all & end all. I've had many a song work a way into my head after giving it some time.

I'm kind of amazed anyone would defend the "I listened to it once and I hate it" position. It's just a shitty way to go through life, let alone experience music.

^I agree, and I wouldn't be a rabid Radiohead fan otherwise. The first time I heard OK Computer I got about halfway through and turned it off because I hated it.

But there's a difference. There were moments on that first listen that I did appreciate, I just was being a bit of a snob. When I went back to it a couple years later, I got through it all, and there was enough on it for it to want to spin it again and again, and now it's a personal favourite.

When you hear something you straight away outright hate, with no redeeming qualities, then there's no reason to go back to it. I'm not going to keep listening to Slayer or Lil Wayne, because everything I've heard I didn't like.

Yeah I don't listen to albums I hated on first listen more than twice, usually. Honestly, the second listen is often provoked by peer pressure (unless it's a band I already like, in which case I'll plow through a few more listens of my own accord) and might not happen for months after the first one. If I don't really get the impression that I will enjoy the album by that point, there really isn't a reason to go back. Life's too short and there's too much other music to get to. :shrug:

Random thoughts on the random thread

This thread is :corn:

Quite entertaining at three in the morning.

ARATHH has some soul to it that i enjoy sometimes, not all the time.

Someone quoted an older post about someone's violent dislike for Hawkmoon. I just wanted to offer a dissenting opinion. One of the best spots on Rattle and Hum, which has quite a few great tracks, but isn't outstanding either.

I think that there are three types of U2 songs. Songs that you love from the first listen, songs that you grow to love after many times listening, and songs you will never like no matter how many times you hear them. Being that it is U2 and no artist will ever even make it halfway up the mountain of songs that I adore, I have given several songs far more chances than I should have :coocoo: (Acrobat, and more than half of Pop).

I have given several songs far more chances than I should have :coocoo: (Acrobat, and more than half of Pop).

That is funny. Acrobat was an absolutely instant sell for me. What's not to love?

....it does share that kind of dirty anxious feeling that a lot of Pop has. Is that part of it?

Back
Top Bottom