Question about U2's artwork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360=

Babyface
Hello,
I'm sure this might have been posted before, I'm a new
U2 fan, made by No Line On The Horizon, anyway Who is that kid
that shows up on some of their albums? :hmm:

Now, to answer your question, the kid you're likely referring to is Peter Rowan, brother of Bono's friend Guggi.

What's his importance?! :cool:

To the band personally? Probably just what the person above said. Friend-related.

His importance to the record sleeves... he fit the part of what they were trying to convey.

The kid was paid in candy bars LOL

That's true! As to his significance, he and his parents and nine (!) siblings lived across the road from Bono's house. As mentioned above, his brother Derek, AKA Guggi, was and still is a good friend of Bono's. He was in the Virgin Prunes along with Gavin Friday and Edge's brother Dick. The "Boy", Peter Rowan, had a modest career as an actor. You can spot him in The Commitments as the boy with the skateboard. And I seem to recall that he actually became the skateboarding champion of Ireland or something equally silly.

For those of you interested in Guggi, there's a nice feature on him in the current issue of Hot Press. He has a big art exhibit on at the moment in Dublin. (More bowls, LOL! What else?)

I'd do the job as well haha, wouldn't you? :lol:

Hellz yeah I would!
:D

From @U2.com

Q: The story of how you were paid in candy bars (Mars bars specifically, if I'm not mistaken) for the U2 photo shoots is legendary. Do you have any particularly fond or funny memories of working with the band?

A: My memories of working with the band are all but gone...the only things I actually remember are me not liking the soup we were served by the photographer's wife and Bono nearly crashing into a line of traffic on the way home from the shoot!

:lol:

Q: During those Boy and War photo shoots, did you try to have any input into the poses or your wardrobe, or were you agreeable to whatever they instructed you to do?

A: There was a full box of Mars bars at stake! I was up for anything!

(...and he doesn't even own a copy of Boy or War :tsk:)

Hellz yeah I would!
:D

From @U2.com

Q: The story of how you were paid in candy bars (Mars bars specifically, if I'm not mistaken) for the U2 photo shoots is legendary. Do you have any particularly fond or funny memories of working with the band?

A: My memories of working with the band are all but gone...the only things I actually remember are me not liking the soup we were served by the photographer's wife and Bono nearly crashing into a line of traffic on the way home from the shoot!

:lol:

Q: During those Boy and War photo shoots, did you try to have any input into the poses or your wardrobe, or were you agreeable to whatever they instructed you to do?

A: There was a full box of Mars bars at stake! I was up for anything!

(...and he doesn't even own a copy of Boy or War :tsk:)

Hahaha! I thought you were kidding! Great story.. Too bad he doesn't even have a copy of Boy or War :down:

Back
Top Bottom