Q Magazine named U2 "greatest act of the past quarter of a century"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just an example:

It's Depressing, But True - U2 Are The Most Influential Band Of The Last 25 Years

Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol, even the reborn Take That – all the biggest selling acts of the past ten years have adopted a U2-like sheen.

Noel Gallagher learned how to write anthems by listening to U2. Early tunes like ‘Live Forever’ and ‘Slide Away’ are essentially ‘One’ with a northern accent, communal, arms-aloft ballads that sound big and impassioned but frustratingly aren’t about anything at all.

In those verses lie the first traces of the billowing clouds of bullshit that would later waft from the vocal cords of Chris Martin, Liam Gallagher, Gary Lightbody et al.

It's Depressing, But True - U2 Are The Most Influential Band Of The Last 25 Years - In The NME Office - NME.COM - The world's fastest music news service, music videos, interviews, photos and free stuff to win

Keane, Snow Patrol, even Coldplay (and many other UK bands in the last decade or two) owe at least as much to Radiohead (who profess influence by The Smiths), I thought. And since when is U2 influencing Take That ?

Noel always wanted to emulate the 60's rock bands more than U2.

Totally, although the timing of that distinction would have made me gag. Maybe wait until they're out of the news.

For the record, I fully agree with placing U2 at the top. Can't think of too many other acts that have held significant relevance from 1986 to the present. It's fairly remarkable what they've done, love 'em or hate 'em.

Of course, the anti argument against U2 would be they don't have the massive influence like other big rock bands (though longevity, 2 classic albums and reinventing rock tours go in their favour). REM were more influential on rock bands in the last 25 years, as were/are Radiohead.

Though if it should be anyone - including solo artists - in the last 25 years...should be MJ. Opened the doors from black artists, crossover with rock riff in Beat it, groundbreaking videos...and to this day most of MTV is filled with weaker imitations. And none of those dancers comes close to his moves.

You gotta love Neil, he's so brave, always asking for trouble with his extremely biased U2 articles :) Just look at the comments he's getting on his blog. The British press, out of all evil things, is possibly the worst place for a pro-U2 article. Aw, Neil :hug:

A friend of mine who lives partly in England (she was still unable to get me the Q with the CD and had an adventurous journey on the magazine hunt :mad:) said there were several discussions on TV and radio and in newspapers the day after Q announced U2 as winner of that award. She says there's a lot of anti-U2 attitude in the UK and people are totally sick of the band. She doesn't like the band either but still puts up bravely with my obsession, but we had a lengthy debate about how U2's meglomania has actually turned against them. Now with Bono's recent talking I'm quite sure it doesn't get any better. I love the man and love the band like crazy, but at the moment, though I'm excited about the AB release and all, I just feel that Q shouldn't have given U2 any more awards and most of all not that one.

They're just up their Irish asses so much that it really hurts

:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom