proposed 2013 25th Anniversary Rattle & Hum tracklisting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

This is an incomplete heavily edited version. Many versions exist. The complete version can be found torrented on U2Start.com and features "MLK", "Van Diemen's Land", a full version of Love Rescue Me and much more.

My wish for the DVD is:

DVD 1: - Rattle and Hum Alternate Cut
· R&H Outtakes (I consider the clip in From the Sky Down a taster to wet out appetite)
This would be clips we know from the R&H Outtakes bootleg and Rattle and Hum Rough Cut (This is MUCH better than the outtakes) but in high quality. Rattle and Hum Rough Cut without the watermak in 16mm quality (like the clip on From the Sky Down) would just about do the job for me.
DVD 2: - Extras
· Lovetown Special (Full Version)
· Smile Jamaica
· Sydney Press Conference
DVD 3: - Complete Point Depot Show (this alone would be ideal!)

Last edited:
What a glorious day it will be when Wild Irish Rose gets a proper release!

I've got a copy of this without the voice-over from the TV show. I've had it for years and can't even remember where I got it? How it found its way onto the net in its full glory I'll never know? I listen to it a lot...and feel it must be a bit of a rarity.

canedge said:
Heres and Idea. Re-release GOD PART 2 as a single and re-record with the reformed Plastic Ono Band.

I would throw all of my U2 albums off of a skyscraper if this happened

If any album's Super Deluxe Box Set would call for a crate full of DVDs, it would be this one. Beyond all the mini-docs and Lovetown tour footage, there's all of that cutting room floor stuff from the Rattle & Hum film.

After UF and JT, R&H is the reissue I've been looking forward to most. Here's my six-disc Duper Deluxe:

CD One
Rattle & Sun: The Studio Sessions (All tracks remastered)
  1. Van Diemen's Land
  2. Desire
  3. Heartland
  4. God Part II
  5. Hawkmoon 269
  6. Angel of Harlem
  7. Love Rescue Me
  8. When Love Comes to Town
  9. Jesus Christ
  10. Everlasting Love
  11. Unchained Melody
  12. A Room At The Heart Break Hotel
  13. Halleluiah (Here She Comes)
  14. Dancing Barefoot
  15. All I Want Is You

CD Two
Outside It's America (All the live cuts from R&H movie) (All tracks remastered)
  1. Helter Skelter (Live)
  2. All Along the Watchtower (Live)
  3. Bullet the Blue Sky (Live)
  4. Running To Stand Still (Live)
  5. Bad (Live)
  6. In God's Country (Live)
  7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Live)
  8. Exit (Live)
  9. Where the Streets Have No Name (Live)
  10. MLK (Live)
  11. With Or Without You (Live)
  12. Freedom For My People
  13. Silver And Gold (Live)
  14. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live)
  15. Pride (Live)

CD Three
Lovetown: Live from the Point Depot (Fan Club Release)

DVD One
Rattle & Hum Movie (Preferably extended, but unlikely)

DVD Two
New Year's Eve Lovetown

DVD Three
R&H Videos, Outtakes, Specials & Mini-Docs

I'd really like to see an extended R&H movie, but that would involve not only securing the rights from Paramount, but going back the film negatives, restoring them and making a new edit of the film, which I doubt they'd go to the expense to do, even if they could strike a deal w/Paramount. I think the best we'd get is just the original DVD included in the set and settle for some R&H outtakes on the last DVD.

Ideally, I wouldn't mind another CD of a non-Point Depot Lovetown show, but that's just crazy talk expecting something like that and I had to draw the line somewhere. I also didn't include remixes b/c I don't care about them, but since U2 loves them I'm sure we'd see a disc full of those.

This is all fantasy, of course, as I don't hold out a lot of hope for much from a R&H reissue, unfortunately, considering it's almost become one of the band's orphans (not as much as Pop, however).

Everyone is saying the Point Depot show is the Lovetown show they should release. I disagree. They shot the November 18th 1989 Sydney show with full production, which most of the songs from the documentary are from. One of the best U2 shows that has been done, ever. A complete DVD of that is what should end up on there. Wont happen, but that is the better show. The Point Depot show is good but loses its spark after the first couple of songs to me. I also think the audio sounds a tad off, Bono's vocal is a little muffled or something. Of course if the Point Depot show complete was on a DVD I would not complain. But a complete Sydney show would be WAY better to me. :shrug:

I found this yesterday. How does it tickle your fancy? It's called "Rattle and Hum: The Making of the Movie"
With the unique backstage and interview footage it's quite good:
U2 Making of Rattle and Hum 1988 1/3 - YouTube
U2 Making of Rattle and Hum 1988 2/3 - YouTube
U2 Making of Rattle and Hum 1988 3/3 - YouTube
And speaking of rare mini-docs I found MTV's "Fire Desire" between videos documentary bits compiled on YouTube:
U2 MTv "Fire and Desire" interviews 80's part 1/2 - YouTube
U2 MTv "Fire and Desire" interviews 80's part 2/2 - YouTube

"Wild Irish Rose" should be in there.

It was written in the R&H era, when they were living in Los Angeles mixing the film.

Any alternate recordings of any of the R&H (album/singles) studio tracks would be interesting; a disc similar to the Achtung Baby 'Kindergarten' disc.

U2%201988%20Bono%20@%20Point%20Depot%20Smaller.jpg

This is an even less likely release than my 20th Anniversary Zooropa release, but honestly, if they haven't released a new album by xmas 2013, I would bet both of those come out for the empire to keep growing. And I think it would be seriously cool to release both those reissues at the same, as a testament of the wide gambit U2 musically runs. And have a limited "U2/25/20 Box" of both or something.

u2bono-edge-mullen15.jpg

Disc 2:

1) Surely there is at least one quality outtake from the R&H sessions
2) A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
3) Hallelujah Here She Comes
4) Everlasting Love
5) Unchained Melody
6) Dancing Barefoot (Short Version)
7) Jesus Christ
8) Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
9) Desire (Hollywood Remix)
10) God Part II (The Hard Metal Dance Mix)
11) When Love Comes To Town (Live From The Kingdom Mix)
12) Love Rescue Me (Live with Ziggy Marley)

And if we get greedy, the following from the movie, or maybe some highlights from the 12/31/89 Dublin show or the full show):

13) Exit (Live)
14) In God's Country (Live)
15) Bad (Live)
16) Where The Streets Have No Name / MLK
17) With or Without You (Live)
18) Running To Stand Still (Live)
19) Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live)

All of that really seems interesting. However, personally, I would keep all of the R&H film stuff in the can. I would predict a doc or two, videos, 4-8 songs from one show in a similiar vein to the UF Bonus DVD. Possibly Sydney or Dublin.

Maybe they are waiting for a new format to become more prominent before they re-release R&H.

There were some non-Streets, no -IWF clips of the Point Depot show in From the Sky Down, right? They could have been from Sydney, but I got the feeling they were from Point Depot. If so, this would be the first confirmation of the long-held belief that the rest of the show is off in a U2 vault.

(and sorry if this has already been discussed. I didn't watch the film until 2 wks after everyone else, so I missed all the good discussion)

I think it was 40. It was while Bono was talking about u2 coming back to dublin as a show-band.

Yeah, that's it.

Being late to the FTSD discussion, did I miss all the joy and elation? :scratch: I had always felt that for many, besides the full Tempe show and the now-released Red Hill Mining Town video, the full proshot Point Depot show was pretty much the U2 video Holy Grail. There'd always been the hope and expectation that they had the rest of the show in nice, proshot form, but also the fear that all that even U2 have are Streets & IWF because that's when the tv broadcast ended. Seeing that they have 40 of all songs is proof that they almost certainly do have the entire show in proshot video. :drool:

Here's my six-disc Duper Deluxe:

CD One
Rattle & Sun: The Studio Sessions (All tracks remastered)
  1. Van Diemen's Land
  2. Desire
  3. Heartland
  4. God Part II
  5. Hawkmoon 269
  6. Angel of Harlem
  7. Love Rescue Me
  8. When Love Comes to Town
  9. Jesus Christ
  10. Everlasting Love
  11. Unchained Melody
  12. A Room At The Heart Break Hotel
  13. Halleluiah (Here She Comes)
  14. Dancing Barefoot
  15. All I Want Is You

CD Two
Outside It's America (All the live cuts from R&H movie) (All tracks remastered)
  1. Helter Skelter (Live)
  2. All Along the Watchtower (Live)
  3. Bullet the Blue Sky (Live)
  4. Running To Stand Still (Live)
  5. Bad (Live)
  6. In God's Country (Live)
  7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Live)
  8. Exit (Live)
  9. Where the Streets Have No Name (Live)
  10. MLK (Live)
  11. With Or Without You (Live)
  12. Freedom For My People
  13. Silver And Gold (Live)
  14. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live)
  15. Pride (Live)

CD Three
Lovetown: Live from the Point Depot (Fan Club Release)

DVD One
Rattle & Hum Movie (Preferably extended, but unlikely)

DVD Two
New Year's Eve Lovetown

DVD Three
R&H Videos*, Outtakes, Specials & Mini-Docs

If they can squeeze that in on the Bonus DVD, I'd like to see their early videos as well.

*I will follow (Sept. 1980)
*Gloria (Oct. 1981)
*A Celebration (April 1982) --> Ok, covered with the Ray Cokes Special now
*New Year's Day (long version please, Dec. 1982)
*Two hearts beat as one (March 1983)
and eventually *Night and Day (Oct 1990), or the proper version of With Or Without You (Feb. 1987)

This is the last set covering the 1980s and those are videos that were left off the Boy/October/War Deluxe albums. And not even featured on the Best Of 1980-1990 VHS!!

From Rattle And Hum should be available:
*All I want is you
*Angel of Harlem --> Ok, covered with the Ray Cokes Special now
*Desire (please the uncensored version)

It's probably the last chance to deliver it to us. Perhaps even digitally regraded. A big please from my side... :hug:

Yeah, that's it.

Being late to the FTSD discussion, did I miss all the joy and elation? :scratch: I had always felt that for many, besides the full Tempe show and the now-released Red Hill Mining Town video, the full proshot Point Depot show was pretty much the U2 video Holy Grail. There'd always been the hope and expectation that they had the rest of the show in nice, proshot form, but also the fear that all that even U2 have are Streets & IWF because that's when the tv broadcast ended. Seeing that they have 40 of all songs is proof that they almost certainly do have the entire show in proshot video. :drool:

The whole NY Eve show was shot for sure. If you notice on the documentary though it does not appear to be in top notch condition, at least from what I can discern from the clip. I have heard this before from other sources as well. It is not my "Holy Grail", not even from that tour. Mine would be the full Pro shot of the Novemember 18, 1989 Sydney show. Which as I mentioned before in this thread had full production and is one the better U2 shows of all time.

I really think the NY Eve show gets way too much hype. I knew fans that went to all of those shows at the Point Depot back then and they all came away saying the best of those shows was the December 30th show the night before and that after the elation of the first two songs on the NY show it was a mediocre performance and vibe. :shrug: I also think the sound on the NY show suffers. Bono's vocal mix is just off. Too muffled and/or echoey. The straight audio soundboard recordings from the prior Point Depot nights sound way better.

Like I said, I would not complain about ANY full length pro shot from the Lovetown tour if it was released. But my first pick would not be the NY eve show for the above reasons.

The whole NY Eve show was shot for sure. If you notice on the documentary though it does not appear to be in top notch condition, at least from what I can discern from the clip. I have heard this before from other sources as well. It is not my "Holy Grail", not even from that tour. Mine would be the full Pro shot of the Novemember 18, 1989 Sydney show. Which as I mentioned before in this thread had full production and is one the better U2 shows of all time.

I really think the NY Eve show gets way too much hype. I knew fans that went to all of those shows at the Point Depot back then and they all came away saying the best of those shows was the December 30th show the night before and that after the elation of the first two songs on the NY show it was a mediocre performance and vibe. :shrug: I also think the sound on the NY show suffers. Bono's vocal mix is just off. Too muffled and/or echoey. The straight audio soundboard recordings from the prior Point Depot nights sound way better.

Like I said, I would not complain about ANY full length pro shot from the Lovetown tour if it was released. But my first pick would not be the NY eve show for the above reasons.

I definitely agree that the NYE show wasn't the best of the four, and that the Sydney show is fantastic. I'd always placed video of the NYE show higher on my wishlist mainly because we had more of the Sydney show available. I'd love to see the show from the 30th--it'd be great to see video of the "dream it all up again" speech.

I personally would like to see the unseen footage from Tempe and Denver. Or a collaboration of concert clips filmed throughout the 1987 Fall Tour.

From Rattle And Hum should be available:
*All I want is you
*Angel of Harlem --> Ok, covered with the Ray Cokes Special now
*Desire (please the uncensored version)

It's probably the last chance to deliver it to us. Perhaps even digitally regraded. A big please from my side... :hug:

You forgot the video version of When love Comes to Town. It features the studio audio and not the Soundcheck audio like the movie.

Wow, ashamed to admit it, somehow the song Wild Irish Rose had passed me by after all these decades and bootlegs. Absolutely stunning. Brilliant! This needs a release so bad. Dark and sultry and passionate. Melody and voice reminds me of Ballad of Springhill.

I've always felt the Steel String Remix of Night & Day far eclipses the standard version. It's less brooding, but more grooving. Same thing for Can't Help Falling in Love, the soundtrack version is just silly, but the Twin Peaks Remix is awe inspiring.

It took me next to 25 years to discover this now on youtube :drool:

Since the Steel String Remix of Night and Day is on the Achtung Baby set, I want the original version now on a possible R+H set. But i like the Remix more, I have to confess...

Sorry for resurrecting that dead thread ;)

yeah thanks for bumping a dead thread and making me think i'd missed an announcement for a box set today!! ;)

I don't think any R&H re-issue is worthwhile UNLESS U2 can re-release the DVD, with bonus features. First, it should be upgraded as much as possible to high definition (even include a Blu-Ray version in the release). Then, it should contain as much of the outtake footage that would be entertaining. Some should even be of Bono's accident (where he hurt his arm and was taken to the hospital). 2 hours of "outtakes" is not a lot.

The trouble is, I believe Paramount owns this footage. So unless U2 and their label can negotiate something, I'm not sure it will happen. Still, it makes sense for both parties to do this. Paramount will make extra $ from something that is just sitting in their vaults. U2 fans will adore this. Worldwide, this will be profitable (after all, both the JT and AB re-releases charted back in the Billboard Top 200!).

After the movie, then add in a full concert DVD. I'd love to see a Point Depot show AND the Sydney show. Both are very special.

As for CD extras, I think most here have the songs covered (and I'd love to see any "new" songs U2 add). One problem might be that U2 did a lot of covers in that era - so, U2 would have to get permission again. Still, that's a $ making adventure for all parties, so why not?

I don't need re-masters of "Pop". By that time, I think the quality was fine and we already have a great DVD of a show. And by the time HTDAAB was released, we could already buy boxed sets with books and whatnot. So really, R&H is the last big item left for U2 to re-issue. I hope they do it right.

It is highly unlikely that U2 would buy the rights for the movie just to offer it as an additional disc for an anniversary set. The blu-ray is available for years, most fans will have it anyway. Maybe they could offer an empty slot in the booklet for moving the blu-ray disc there by the fans itself ;)

Contrary to popular belief the blu-ray is already a good transfer of the source material. The source material is purposeful bad because U2 and Joanou just wanted to make the movie look that way (copying video and 16mm material to 32mm celluloid).

In any scene on the blu-ray the film grain from the original celluloid source is clearly visible. You can filter that away (create some "wax faces"), but you cannot really improve in getting more details with that. The grainy look is that "documentary" feel that was intended by the band. By filtering the film grain it will take the intended look away that was seen in the cinema.

The old DVDs cannot give you that cinematic "grainy" feel because the DVD resolution is too low to even display film grain properly. They smeared that grain and introduced some unwanted effects by that.

On the audio front there is nothing to gain either. There is already a new good audio mix (not just a "remaster", a completely new multichannel mix in DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 EX). Some critics could say that it would have been better presented in lossless HD audio. But that it is just a marketing thing: At those high bitrates with modern day codices there would not be any audible difference. And remember: The audio wasn't recorded for 6.1 use. You might get a different mix in the future (which some might like more, some might like less) but that's it because you cannot really improve much on what was taped in 1988.

Because of the intended poor look the blu-ray isn't THAT great update over the former DVD. The grain is not smeared in the backgrounds anymore and some of the rather few true 32mm scenes have a high def feeling to it now. Other than that nothing was to gain and will not be to gain in the future.

I am from Europe and our former R2-PAL DVDs and VHS-tapes were utterly useless because of the 4%-PAL Speedup. The pitch was half a tone higher than it used to be and the songs were 4% faster. That might have been tolerable for a movie with just dialogue in it, but not for a concert movie. It was my first action to trash my "speedup-music" DVD ;)

In my eyes an anniversary set should focus on the audio and the lovetown tour. The movie sits somewhere between the JT-Tour and the LT-tour anyway. JT-tour outtakes could have been featured on the JT-anniversary set as well. I want Lovetown tour stuff, because there is so little around.

Please study the following reviews before hating the blu-ray too much:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/U2-Rattle-and-Hum-Blu-ray/92/#Overview
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/U2-Rattle-and-Hum-Blu-ray/92/#UserReviews
http://www.hd-reporter.de/blu-ray-reviews/u2-rattle-and-hum-blu-ray/
http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/u2-rattle-hum-1524.shtml
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096328/trivia

You cannot have a better experience on blu-ray than what was offered in the cinemas in November of 1988. And in the sound department that is probably not even true due to the poor cinema sound equipment of that day and age (5.1/6.1 wasn't possible back then, the movie was presented in stereo).

Accept the movie for what it is. No new transfer, no new codec update will make it a high definition reference movie. Not now, not in a hundred years.

Back
Top Bottom