proposed 2013 25th Anniversary Rattle & Hum tracklisting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking at the record version of Rattle & Hum it is much more artitically congruent than CD copies. Each side on the record makes "sense".
That's right. This was totally lost in the CD era (let alone the mp3 era). In retrospect, they probably shouldn't have planned the tracklisting to suit a 4-side vinyl album, which was already pretty old by late 1988.

Rattle & Hum is one of my favorites. One thing I'd like to see on a reissued/remastered R&H is a separation of the live and studio material into two separate discs. There's a great live album in there, and a great studio album, but I always thought they could be better as stand alone pieces. Just add some of the b-sides and unreleased stuff to the tracks on the existing studio recordings and you have a great "studio" album IMO. Then for the second CD just put on ALL the live songs from the film. Call the studio disc "Rattle & Sun" and the live one "Outside It's America". Throw in Lovetown as a 3rd CD, and you're good to go. For a DVD, a high quality video of one of the Lovetown shows (if there is such a thing) would be most welcome as well. There's your 4-disc set.

As far as the film goes, even though they were marketed together and it's normal to associate them w/each other, the R&H album and movie are two separate properties. I read recently that they had to get permission from Paramount to use some of the R&H outtakes in Gugenheim's doc (though apparently U2 does still own some of that footage as well). Whether as part of a R&H reissue or a stand alone release, I'd love to see an expanded/restored R&H movie (and it sorely needs restoration, and at a minimum a new HD transfer), but unless U2 wants buy back the film rights from Paramount (and movie studios don't give up properties easily or cheaply, especially when they know that U2 has deep pockets), that's not going to happen any time soon.

Studio

Hawkmoon 269
Desire
Van Diemen's Land
Angel Of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes To Town
Heartland
God Part II
All I Want Is You
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
Hallelujah Here She Comes
Everlasting Love
Unchained Melody
Dancing Barefoot
Jesus Christ
She's a Mystery to Me

Live

When Love Comes To Town (Live From The Kingdom Mix)
Love Rescue Me (Live with Ziggy Marley)
Exit (Live)
In God's Country (Live)
Bad (Live)
Where The Streets Have No Name / MLK
With or Without You (Live)
Running To Stand Still (Live)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live)
The Star Spangled Banner/Bullet The Blue Sky
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
All Along The Watchtower
Silver & Gold
Helter Skelter

Live

When Love Comes To Town (Live From The Kingdom Mix)
Love Rescue Me (Live with Ziggy Marley)
Exit (Live)
In God's Country (Live)
Bad (Live)
Where The Streets Have No Name / MLK
With or Without You (Live)
Running To Stand Still (Live)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live)
The Star Spangled Banner/Bullet The Blue Sky
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
All Along The Watchtower
Silver & Gold
Helter Skelter

Studio

Hawkmoon 269
Desire
Van Diemen's Land
Angel Of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes To Town
Heartland
God Part II
All I Want Is You
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
Hallelujah Here She Comes
Everlasting Love
Unchained Melody
Dancing Barefoot
Jesus Christ
She's a Mystery to Me

Yeah, I've already actually pretty much done this via an iTunes playlist...the live version comes in at 70 min, and the studio 60 min, short enough to fit onto a CD each (14 tracks for each disc), and I could probably add a couple of the studio recordings you have listed. The songs I selected are slightly different, but our lists are pretty much the same.

I didn't think She's a Mystery was part of the R&H sessions, though I know it was recorded around that time or shortly thereafter.

Is When Love Comes to Town Live from The Kingdom Mix a genuine live track? It seems to me that it's just a studio version of the song w/an audience track mixed in (kind of like the version of Sort of Homecoming on Wide Awake), but I could be wrong about that.

Actually, any input on the track order would be appreciated, I struggled w/ that a bit.

Rattle & Sun:

Van Diemen's Land
Desire
Heartland
God Part II
Hawkmoon 269
Angel of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes to Town
Everlasting Love
Unchained Melody
A Room At The Heart Break Hotel
Halleluiah (Here She Comes)
Dancing Barefoot
All I Want Is You

Outside It's America (Live, all from R&H movie):

Helter Skelter
All Along the Watchtower
Bullet the Blue Sky/The Star Spangl...
Running To Stand Still
Bad
In God's Country
I Still Haven't Found
Exit
Where the Streets Have No Name
MLK
With Or Without You
Silver And Gold
Sunday Bloody Sunday

The first CD to be manufactured at the new factory was The Visitors (1981) by ABBA.[14] The first album to be released on CD was Billy Joel's 52nd Street, that reached the market alongside Sony's CD player CDP-101 on October 1, 1982 in Japan.[15] Early the following year on March 2, 1983 CD players and discs (16 titles from CBS Records) were released in the United States and other markets. This event is often seen as the "Big Bang" of the digital audio revolution. The new audio disc was enthusiastically received, especially in the early-adopting classical music and audiophile communities and its handling quality received particular praise. As the price of players gradually came down, the CD began to gain popularity in the larger popular and rock music markets. The first artist to sell a million copies on CD was Dire Straits, with its 1985 album Brothers in Arms.[16] The first major artist to have his entire catalogue converted to CD was David Bowie, whose 15 studio albums were made available by RCA Records in February 1985, along with four Greatest Hits albums.[17] In 1988, 400 million CDs were manufactured by 50 pressing plants around the world.[18]

Wiki

I didn't think She's a Mystery was part of the R&H sessions, though I know it was recorded around that time or shortly thereafter.

As documented in the R&H outtakes, She's a Mystery and Can't Help Falling were demoed in the same Sun Studios sessions that gave us Angel of Harlem, Love Comes to Town and Love Rescue Me, as well as Jesus Christ. Desire was cut at STS in Dublin, as was (I'm guessing) Hallelujah and Heartbreak Hotel, since those three tracks all share Paul Barrett as the credited producer (though Hallelujah and Heartbreak Hotel weren't finished until Los Angeles later in 1988). Van Diemen's Land was recorded at The Point Dublin in early '88. Hawkmoon and God Part II weren't recorded until the summer of 1988 in Los Angeles, and Heartland had its initial recording roots in the early Joshua Tree sessions in '86. So the notion of formal "R&H sessions" is a bit of a misnomer, since the sessions seemed to take place wherever they could.

As documented in the R&H outtakes, She's a Mystery and Can't Help Falling were demoed in the same Sun Studios sessions that gave us Angel of Harlem, Love Comes to Town and Love Rescue Me, as well as Jesus Christ. Desire was cut at STS in Dublin, as was (I'm guessing) Hallelujah and Heartbreak Hotel, since those three tracks all share Paul Barrett as the credited producer (though Hallelujah and Heartbreak Hotel weren't finished until Los Angeles later in 1988). Van Diemen's Land was recorded at The Point Dublin in early '88. Hawkmoon and God Part II weren't recorded until the summer of 1988 in Los Angeles, and Heartland had its initial recording roots in the early Joshua Tree sessions in '86. So the notion of formal "R&H sessions" is a bit of a misnomer, since the sessions seemed to take place wherever they could.

Right. Thanks much. But is there a studio recording of "She's a Mystery" with Bono on vocals? The only U2 versions of it I've heard (w/o Orbison) are live recordings. We were discussing whether a studio version of She's a Mystery would be a good candidate for a R&H reissue. Just wondering if such a studio recording (again, exclusively U2 performing) exists.

Yeah, that's also what I want to know. Even if there's just a demo from Memphis, it would be amazing to hear. But is there a proper studio track?

Well there's no doubt She's a Mystery To Me is from the R&H sessions. It was first soundchecked somewhere in 1987 during the JT-tour. It was propperly recorded In The Sun Studio's with a lot of the other R&H songs. (like Nathan1977 explains). They also recorded Can't Help Falling in Love. Both versions remain unreleased but the recordings were filmed for the R&H movie, those movie outtakes give us some audio from these recording sessions.

Besides that I always understood that Slow Dancing wasn't from the R&H sessions (it was first played around 1989) and My Wild Irish Rose was from 1989 as well. It was used in a 1990 BBC documentary.

Heartland was first tried for The Unforgettable Fire, and again in 1987 for JT. The Version used on R&H was produced by Eno/Lanois so it's fair to assume it got almost finished around 1987. It's basically a JT song in the version that was released.

It's even possible that the B-side Fortunate Son (from '92s Who's Gonna Ride.. CDS) was from the sessions in which R&H b-sides like Dancing Barefoot were recorded. I posted this promo item from that era a while back: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/dancing-barefoot-fortunate-son-89-promo-tape-211980.html

Well there's no doubt She's a Mystery To Me is from the R&H sessions. It was first soundchecked somewhere in 1987 during the JT-tour. It was propperly recorded In The Sun Studio's with a lot of the other R&H songs. (like Nathan1977 explains). They also recorded Can't Help Falling in Love. Both versions remain unreleased but the recordings were filmed for the R&H movie, those movie outtakes give us some audio from these recording sessions.

Besides that I always understood that Slow Dancing wasn't from the R&H sessions (it was first played around 1989) and My Wild Irish Rose was from 1989 as well. It was used in a 1990 BBC documentary.

Heartland was first tried for The Unforgettable Fire, and again in 1987 for JT. The Version used on R&H was produced buh Eno/Lanois so it's fair to assume it got almost finished around 1987. It's basically a JT song in the version that was released.

It's even possible that the B-side Fortunate Son (from '92s Who's Gonna Ride.. CDS) was from the sessions in which R&H b-sides like Dancing Barefoot were recorded. I posted this promo item from that era a while back: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/dancing-barefoot-fortunate-son-89-promo-tape-211980.html

Really informative post. Thanks much. I knew about Heartland and the other songs you mentioned, but that's interesting about Fortunate Son.

Would be nice to see a high quality proper studio "She's a Mystery" release (and not an audio rip from movie outtakes) on a R&H reissue, since we know such a thing exists.

Yeah that song is as deserving as Sweetest Thing. Which got its due 10 years after. Heartland was 'in the can' by 1986. It was recorded at Adams house. I really don't think U2 want to go back to this era. They want to forget it.

Heartland was first tried for The Unforgettable Fire, and again in 1987 for JT. The Version used on R&H was produced by Eno/Lanois so it's fair to assume it got almost finished around 1987. It's basically a JT song in the version that was released.

According to Kevin Killen, who engineered some early JT material, Heartland was an 86 composition. Not sure how much of it dates earlier than that.

I think that's pretty much confirmed by this interview from Adam in Propaganda circa 89: "Some (of the covers) just didn't work....It wasn't right for us to do some of them. Like the old Creedence number 'Fortunate Son' -- it was a great idea as it refers to the draft-dodgers in Vietnam, the Senators' sons avoiding the draft. When we looked at it, it was in the middle of the Senator Dan Quayle controversy but that soon passed and it didn't work when we'd finished it."

Edge alluded to the song as well in his own 89 Propaganda interview: "We decided that we'd work on some covers because we've never actually done that before -- recorded a pile of cover versions. We spent about five days in the studio and it was great fun just playing some of the old songs that we'd always wanted to play. Maria McKee came down and she sang with us. It was one of those really low-pressure sessions and I think we got some good stuff as a result. We did everything and anything really. ...We did about eight but some of them are too off the wall. A couple of real old soul classics with Maria may or may not see the light of day depending on how they seem when we've worked on them."

I think that splitting the album in its studio and live parts is a really great idea. I always hated to not have some of the live tracks from the movie on the album itself.

Originally Posted by Nathan1977
Edge alluded to the song as well in his own 89 Propaganda interview: "We decided that we'd work on some covers because we've never actually done that before -- recorded a pile of cover versions. We spent about five days in the studio and it was great fun just playing some of the old songs that we'd always wanted to play. Maria McKee came down and she sang with us. .... A couple of real old soul classics with Maria may or may not see the light of day depending on how they seem when we've worked on them.

OK, this I didn't know. I just assumed. Makes me curious for all those unreleased cover versions from this session that remain unreleased. Guess Paint It Black, Unchained Melody and Everlasting Love could be from this session as well. But that's about it. Other cover versions that were B-sides are from other sessions post 1991 (Like Sattelite Of Love and Night and Day).

Back
Top Bottom