Proof Bono could still sing like he did in the 80s...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you dream, is it just a montage of select Bono vocal notes that fills your dark nights?

:)

Only if it is a good dream. :drool:

Peterrr takes a lot of time finding those clips, and I pretty much agree with him.

Bono from UF to R&H had a great voice, but sometimes he'd resort to a "Kermit" voice to hit notes (really, just a falsetto) and he screamed a lot. In rock music, there should be some screams, so at times it was way cool. Other times - when he screams to hit a note - not so much.

As the 90's progressed, Bono's vocals declined. I outright cringed hearing him in the Super Bowl.

But slowly his voice healed. Gave up smoking? Maybe. Did healthier things? Maybe. Whatever it was, his vocals on NLOTH and the tour have been the best I've heard since the 80's and early 90's. And rare is the time when we hear "Kermit".

But the lack of "Kermit" sometimes means an open-throat voice, which may sound more tired. And the 2009 Bono is not the 1989 Bono - time takes a toll on us all. So maybe he did sound more tired. If you loved the richer, but sometimes improper, voice of the 80's, we have plenty of videos and audio (yay!). Just recall that Bono would often resort to bailing on notes as he couldn't hit them. The current Bono hits the notes, but sometimes isn't as powerful or rich sounding. But it's FAR better than the PopMart-Vertigo tours. In fact, if I knew nothing about Bono and heard a great JT concert followed by a great 360 concert, I might say that he's matured as a singer, but not much else. But listed to a JT vs. Elevation and, well... Fortunately, Bono's a showman, so he makes up for it in other ways. :love:

Gvox, do you remember a few months ago when Whitney Houstan made a bad appearance at a concert? She had to cancel a few concerts before because she was ill. Don't you think that if Bono had been suffering from a sustained injury (such as Ga and Miami) don't you think that would have impacted his performance such as running laps and not running out of breath? Or I take it he's not intittled to his off days. Have you ever had an off day? Or isn't allowed to be human?

Anyway, that post was just a gentle tease. I think she was the one who was being spiteful. He had a busy time that year and probably only heard the album version the once when he had other things on his mind (or he was drunk). It wasn't until after the Grammies that they decided to release it as a single (where again he was drunk). She came down the night before and made a final appearance at their gig. Then the day after they recorded the video and this was the first time that he heard the recording properly. In which time ti was too late for him to protest because the mischeivous women had chosen a version where he made a bad performance (probably due to a bad feed just like what happened him and a few others at Live8). But isf he used a quick hint that he was unhappy, such as Vocal Aid, during the video indicates that he wasn't a happy bunny. He also should make a mental note never to leap head first into projects like this ever again.

She probably has a moon or her rising in scorpio. He'd been stung by a scorpion. They are very machievellian.

How long have a been banging on about ihat on here now- 2 years almost? Lets just drop it.

It's quite possible that you need to take a very long and extended mental break from the boards.

And rare is the time when we hear "Kermit".

I actually like that "Kermit"-voice, but in fair doses. He's done it briefly a few times during ISHFWILF the last couple of years. It's probably wise not to use it too often (probably not a very good song technique), but it's a great nod to the "Bono of the past" so to say (vocally).

Here's two examples of him using it on ISHFWILF:

YouTube - U2 live@San Siro (Milano) 7 luglio 2009 - I still haven't found what I'm looking for 360° tour
(2:59-3:04)

YouTube - U2 & Bruce Springsteen - I still haven't found what I'm look
(1:18)

I actually like that "Kermit"-voice, but in fair doses. He's done it briefly a few times during ISHFWILF the last couple of years. It's probably wise not to use it too often (probably not a very good song technique), but it's a great nod to the "Bono of the past" so to say (vocally).

Here's two examples of him using it on ISHFWILF:

YouTube - U2 live@San Siro (Milano) 7 luglio 2009 - I still haven't found what I'm looking for 360° tour
(2:59-3:04)

YouTube - U2 & Bruce Springsteen - I still haven't found what I'm look
(1:18)

I dont mind if he use the kermit sound sometimes, but not like on JT/LT where he used it often. The kermit sound fits sometimes and sometimes not.

This one is a bad example
YouTube - U2 - Bullet the Blue Sky [Rattle & Hum CD]

But the one that takes the price is the show 1989-12-18 - Amsterdam, when Bonos voice broke down. Listen to NYD from that show, Kermit at his worst :)

To me his voice has deepened, which is normal. I love how he almost swallows his microphone at times.

it just sounds to me like you picked a few seconds where he just sang strong, not sort of 'broken up'/or 'coarse', etc, that might be said.

I dunno.

:shifty:

Bono sounds pretty damn close to how he sounded on the good nights when Kermit was not needed in the 1986-89 period!

It may not be the exact same, but some of that powerful and rich quality to his voice is back for sure.

This performance of Still Haven't Found was unreal!

YouTube - ‪U2 - I still haven't found what I'm looking for prove allo stadio OLIMPICO di TORINO‬‎

This is more evidence that Still Haven't Found is moving out of its Popmart-Elevation-Vertigo role as a nice little slow down and sing a long moment and back into EPIC quality it had on the Joshua Tree Tour!! 360 performances of this song have already been moving back in this direction, but this is just:drool:

Especially that first woah oh oh woah ohhhhhhhhhhh part before he starts the song!

Boy - October vocals are shouty and not thought through but a great voice.

War-UF are more mature and start showing increased a better use of his voice

JT to AB is for me his peak, although it's true that live he wasn't very consistent

My opinion is that Passengers/Pop records and Popmart tour were worst in terms of his voice. He sounded hoarse and weak. I'm not sure how much of that was lack of confidence and how much was lack of singing capability!

ATYCLB HTDAAB are fairly good, hitting high notes but sounding a bit rough apart from that. The tours were a bit variable, but better than Pop

NLOTH and 360 have been better in terms of hitting crazy notes consistently, although the rough voice is back sometimes. Some of the shows (for example the European first leg with the exception of the last few shows) have been great. I heard Bad in London and it was a really good well sung version I was also at one of the Paris gigs and it was great. He has also been closing every night with Moment of Surrender, which is quite an achievement.

The Rosebowl DVD is fairly poor in terms of the power of his voice, although he still hits the notes and makes the show work in other ways. It would be great to have a DVD of some of the shows in the tour where his voice has been at full power.

I think he is a great singer and he is managing to use his voice well throughout his career to get his songs across. I managed to catch him on good voice nights in Zoo tv, Vertigo and 360 tours and he is really amazing when he's on such form.

He should quit smoking, though if he wants to keep it up.

All of the above is of course IMHO!

Just listened to New year's day from the recent concert in Frankfurt. It's nicely underrehearsed, but Bono sings the hell out of it, very nice.

YouTube - ‪U2 Frankfurt 2010-08-10 New Year's Day - u2gigs.com‬‎

I agree, this is the best New Year's day in years! The speed is good (Larry seems in better shape than 2009), voice has energy, power, intensity, perfect!

I am a bit disappointed with moment of Surrender though, I think the 2009 versions are a lot better in terms of voice. Now it's a bit softer.

I am a bit disappointed with moment of Surrender though, I think the 2009 versions are a lot better in terms of voice. Now it's a bit softer.

We should not forget that Bono might still have pain in his back, that makes it harder to belting with the voice like he did in the 2009 versions of MOS.

I think he is smart now, thats why he is a little more carefull in MOS and BD. If he push to much he wont have the sam strong voice in the end of the leg.

Whats realy impressed me most from the frankfurt show was NYD and the very deep falsetto sound he got in "Child"(1:44 in the video below) in MW. Thats the closet he ever have come in getting the falsetto sound he got on ZooTV.
YouTube - ‪U2 Frankfurt 2010-08-10 Mysterious Ways - u2gigs.com‬‎

We should not forget that Bono might still have pain in his back, that makes it harder to belting with the voice like he did in the 2009 versions of MOS.

I think he is smart now, thats why he is a little more carefull in MOS and BD. If he push to much he wont have the sam strong voice in the end of the leg.

Whats realy impressed me most from the frankfurt show was NYD and the very deep falsetto sound he got in "Child"(1:44 in the video below) in MW. Thats the closet he ever have come in getting the falsetto sound he got on ZooTV.
YouTube - ‪U2 Frankfurt 2010-08-10 Mysterious Ways - u2gigs.com‬‎

I agree, that falsetto was excellent! And he sang the verses ZOO TV style. It's just a shame he no longer sings the chorus properly.

You know what? I can no longer sit in a yogic-pretzel position as easily as I could in the 80s. Whether or not that's thread-worthy is up to BVS to decide.

Wow, you're pathetically obsessed.

There there little buddy:therethere: someday you won't have to cyberstalk.

Can I cyberstalk you instead??!?!?! :hyper::love:

Humor aside, there is truth there. 20+ years is a lot of time and voices change. Some of the vocal power loss mentioned could simply be age-related. Takes lots of energy to hit all those notes. By the end of a show, eh. LOL! That said, I felt the version of WOWY at the second Boston show last year was one of the best I've heard and that includes some 80's shows.

Bono is finaly starting to sing the old songs like before, NYD, IWF, WTSHNN and WOWY. Amazing version on the two Helsinki shows.

On ZooTV Bono started to sing the word "few" in " Arms entwined, the chosen few" in falsetto. He hasnt sing it in real voice until in Helsinki when he sang it in real voice

9:47 in this clip
YouTube - U2 - Intro, Beautiful Day & New Year's Day @ Helsinki 20.8.2010

Also IWF was amazing, the "your eyes" verse was realy strong. Bono hasnt sing this song like this since the 80s
YouTube - U2 Helsinki 2010-08-21 I Will Follow - u2gigs.com

Where is the piano at the beginning of NYD?

That was a mistake. They forgot to lift it on stage. It was soundchecked that afternoon though. Which is why you can hear Edge shout PIANO in the bootleg, we saw him look around and with a shocked look on his face while he shouted that. Dallas hurried down the stage so they could put it back up in time for the next piano part. He looked like he was fearing his job there! :lol:
Edge was pretty antsy, kept walking around the stage yet he did improvise very well.

In Hannover two days later the piano was actually on stage the whole time before the gig. After Kasabian they lifted it up and it didn't go down when the lights went out. :wink: Someone learned from their mistake..

That's what I've found about Bono talking about his voice:

"The truth is, I was in a bit of trouble. At first I thought it might have been the smokes. But I don't think it was just that. I think I had damaged my voice."

That was a mistake. They forgot to lift it on stage. It was soundchecked that afternoon though. Which is why you can hear Edge shout PIANO in the bootleg, we saw him look around and with a shocked look on his face while he shouted that. Dallas hurried down the stage so they could put it back up in time for the next piano part. He looked like he was fearing his job there! :lol:
Edge was pretty antsy, kept walking around the stage yet he did improvise very well.

In Hannover two days later the piano was actually on stage the whole time before the gig. After Kasabian they lifted it up and it didn't go down when the lights went out. :wink: Someone learned from their mistake..
Thanks. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom