Proof Bono could still sing like he did in the 80s...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something like that must've happened. Otherwise he's a shit singer isn't he? Is that what you thought when this single was released back in 2006? I thouht that way for a long time. Not anymore though. I reckon she was being spiteful. What is your explanation for this whole sorry mess?

Can any human being do anything like they could in the 80's? Time marches on, all over your face and your voice and other things. There's no botox for vocal chords.

This human being certainly can not! :D God, I miss the 80's.

I like the way Bono's voice has matured. I loved the way he sang in the eighties, too.

Even, when Bono was having vocal chord problems. On ATYCLB. For me, he still had the passion. He "owns" the songs. No one can preform them, the way that he does.

"When I Look At The World" is still one of my favorites. His voice may falter, a bit. I don't mind. The feeling Bono puts into it. Still, captures my attention.

Gvox, how comes you consider IEM'S and mic's to be cheating yet autotune isn't? I gathered you are one person who goes for emotion and pasision and voice rather than technique, however I think the reason why his voice sounds different now is because he is now singing in a higher register. Voices sound different regarding to their register plus as you get older your voice does change. People need IEM'S just so they can hear the band. I read an interview where he was talking about the 2002 Superbowl appearance where he was worried that if his IEM's fall out then he'd be off air. At the 2001 Grammies you notice how he started the song badly and then he took out the IEM'S and continued the rest of the song standing still.

People need IEM'S just so they can hear the band.

That's absolutely incorrect, it's pretty much impossible not to hear a rock band on stage. Edge's amps are so loud it's not even funny. Singers use IEMs so they can hear THEMSELVES. - and in better proportion to the rest of the instruments, but usually their voice is higher in the mix than the rest of the instruments being fed into their ears. That's why if you take them out, you have to stand in one spot, in front of the stage monitor speaker assigned to your position (or another band member's monitors that has your vocals coming out of them), so you can hear yourself, mostly. They can be frustrating, however, if the feed or the mix in your ears isn't good and so you'll see singers rip them out sometimes.

And where did you ever get the idea that I said it was "cheating" to use IEMs and better mics? They're not cheats, but they usually do contribute to a better technical environment, and the use of IEMs does in fact change the way one sings (mostly for the better). And of course, a better mic is going to make a great singer sound even better, logically.

That makes perfect sense......a singer would have to be able to hear themselves. In relation to the rest of the band. Thanks gvox for the technical info.

Whats intressting here is that the people who praise his voice in the 80s beacuse of the screaming/straining thing make it sound like it is hard to sing like that.

The thing is that he has no problem to sing like that those days, just watch my 360 highlights clip on youtube. The thing is that 360 tour is the first tour ever when he use clean high notes, technique togheter with more raw screaming. Something 80/90s Bono only couls dream about.

Bonos problem now isnt about hittinh high notes, he does that better then ever. Íts his stamina, if he would work out more(running, swimming) he could eaisly hit more high noteS each night. So instead of smking, drinking wine and just talk he could work out more. We shouldnt forget that he has problem with his back, that makes it harder for him to sing. It effects you psychally and fysichally.
This can be a real problem for him on the new leg that starts late this summer, his stamina might be worse now because of all resting because of his injury togheter that he still will feel pain.

IEM'S and mics maketh a good singer does not one make. I've heard him sing on TV and radio without a mic and it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. If you can't sing, then you can't sing. The accoustics within a stadium mean that IEM'S are needed in order to hear yourself properly, whilst in opera houses and small bedrooms they aren't needed. Guitars are very loud so something is needed in order to hear yourself.

They can be frustrating, however, if the feed or the mix in your ears isn't good and so you'll see singers rip them out sometimes.

This is exactly what happened with Live 8 and One.

Whats intressting here is that the people who praise his voice in the 80s beacuse of the screaming/straining thing make it sound like it is hard to sing like that.

The thing is that he has no problem to sing like that those days, just watch my 360 highlights clip on youtube. The thing is that 360 tour is the first tour ever when he use clean high notes, technique togheter with more raw screaming. Something 80/90s Bono only couls dream about.

Bonos problem now isnt about hittinh high notes, he does that better then ever. Íts his stamina, if he would work out more(running, swimming) he could eaisly hit more high noteS each night. So instead of smking, drinking wine and just talk he could work out more. We shouldnt forget that he has problem with his back, that makes it harder for him to sing. It effects you psychally and fysichally.
This can be a real problem for him on the new leg that starts late this summer, his stamina might be worse now because of all resting because of his injury togheter that he still will feel pain.

I think this version is a very good example of his alert singing, I remember Bono saying around late 90s or early 00s that smoking made him lost the ability to fly as a singer. But I think 2009 was the year where he finaly started to fly :)

YouTube - U2 - No Line On The Horizon 2

Let me get this straight: you think that the Bad from Wide Awake in America is 'screaming/straining' and it's not hard to sing like that? Just try it, you'll see! :huh:

Let me get this straight: you think that the Bad from Wide Awake in America is 'screaming/straining' and it's not hard to sing like that? Just try it, you'll see! :huh:

It was hard for him back then, like I wrote before, you can cleary hear a little scratchy sound:

If you say that he dosnt strain his voice in time 6:11 to 6:15, 6:16 to 6:18 and in 6:21 he nearly strain and goes offkey.
YouTube - U2 - Bad (Live Version) from the Wide Awake In America E.P (High Quality)

And if you want alot of correct Wide Awakes without any cracking sound check out this one:
w w w.send space.com/file/hwpiow

But why not ask this, do you think Bono in the 80s would be able to sing like this:

YouTube - U2 Miss Sarajevo LIVE Milan
YouTube - U2 360 Tour - Moment of Surrender Live @ Stade de France I Paris
YouTube - U2 Milan 2009-07-07 Ultra Violet (Light My Way)

or

"Need" in 1:26 and 1:39
"Breath" in 1:52
"Wida Awake" in 2:05
"Love" in 2:20
"Rewind" in 3:10
"Leeeet the good times roll" in 5:28
"Take" in 5:39
"Far" in 8:52
"Fire" in 0:53

YouTube - Bonos voice, vocal highlights from 360 tour era

These high notes is very clean, no straining/raspyness. Bono wasnt able to get this sound in the 80s.

The thing that was better with his voice back then was the falsetto.

And If you want his screaming Iyou can hear it on UTEOTW, MOS and IGCTIIDGCT in the clip above. I also think that the screams are alot more powerful then in the 80s. He can scream now, but he is smart enough now to not do it, because then he will definitly sound lik popmart/elevation tour again.

"Need" in 1:26 and 1:39
"Breath" in 1:52
"Wida Awake" in 2:05
"Love" in 2:20
"Rewind" in 3:10
"Leeeet the good times roll" in 5:28
"Take" in 5:39
"Far" in 8:52
"Fire" in 0:53

YouTube - Bonos voice, vocal highlights from 360 tour era

Jesas. Is this the body of evidence you're basing your assertions on? The fuckin beach clips were better audio than that! I can't tell if half of what I'm hearing is Bono, Edge, Edge's guitar, the crowd, a wailing cat outside the window as someone taped it off their TV into a cellular phone....it's unlistenable, seriously! Sorry man, but that montage of clips just fails to show anything at all.

Jesas. Is this the body of evidence you're basing your assertions on? The fuckin beach clips were better audio than that! I can't tell if half of what I'm hearing is Bono, Edge, Edge's guitar, the crowd, a wailing cat outside the window as someone taped it off their TV into a cellular phone....it's unlistenable, seriously! Sorry man, but that montage of clips just fails to show anything at all.

I don't want to start another fight, but seriously....

To claim that the beach clips are better quality??????????

You can clearly tell what everything you are hearing is.

The beach clips? Maybe I could make out the lyrics but only in retrospect after someone already did the dirty work and deciphered them for us. The only thing I really remember hearing, aside from a lot of waves and ambient noise, was the "only love" chorus of Magnificent.

I am not sure these kind of claims help out your case.

What is wrong with admitting he sounds great now but that you preferred his 80s voice for x or y reason?

If you want to say you prefer 80s Bono, jeez, no problem at all, to each his own. There are plenty of aspects of 80s Bono that I find superior to now as well. For starters, I'll take any 1983 version of NYD over now and any 1984-86 version of Bad or Pride over now.

But bring the facts with you, and discuss honestly. Those clips were nothing but sheer brilliance, and they were perfectly clear even with my crap headphones..............

*general statement*

If this thread keeps going with everyone arguing again I'm just going to close it like the last one. So, if you guys want to continue this discussion you are more than welcome to but you need to do so in a respectable manner. No personal attacks, no you're an idiot, you're deaf, calling each other crazy, etc. No need to get all riled up because someone has a different opinion than you do. Also to the people that obviously never agree with each other and constantly argue, perhaps its best not to continue to address each other and/or use your ignore lists.

/carry on.

Yeah and the vhs/tape recording from the 80s are now also worthless, beacuse the sound in those are poor.

Its like saying "the robery in the local store was filmed with a vhs camera, you cant go on that in court.

When you dream, is it just a montage of select Bono vocal notes that fills your dark nights?

:)

:lol:

Peterr rather reminds me of a Marxist historian, who continues to explain the French Revolution in class terms on the basis of selective evidence and in spite of most other historians reasonable intuitions. Nothing will stop them from repeating their arguments over and over again. In a depressing way, it is almost admirable. My approach is simple. I am not especially interested in the notes Bono hits or how he hits them. I am concerned simply with the sound of Bono's voice. On an optimistic note, Bono hasn't sounded this good since the early 90s; but I still think his early 90s voice sounded markedly better than any of its subsequent incarantions, even its current one. Back then, his lower register sounded great (he used it often too) , so did his falsetto. His ZOO TV voice sounded smooth, deep and rich- in other words he was crooning, in a way I have not consistently heard, since. Furthermore, his phrasing, which surely must be considered too, sounded more pleasing to my ears then than it does now.

I don't want to start another fight, but seriously....

To claim that the beach clips are better quality??????????

You can clearly tell what everything you are hearing is.

The beach clips? Maybe I could make out the lyrics but only in retrospect after someone already did the dirty work and deciphered them for us. The only thing I really remember hearing, aside from a lot of waves and ambient noise, was the "only love" chorus of Magnificent.

I am not sure these kind of claims help out your case.

What is wrong with admitting he sounds great now but that you preferred his 80s voice for x or y reason?

1. Obviously I was over exaggerating and making fun. The 'cat wailing outside the window' should have been a clue. Having said that, it's crap audio and barely listenable, sorry.

2. I'm not making any sort of case at all. The premise of the thread is "proof that..."..and that montage of clips is being used as proof and in my opinion that montage fails to prove that point at all. It's others that keep tirelessly repeating the same 'facts' over and over and quoting and re-quoting the same examples, and imo they are horrible, incomplete and out of context examples.

3. I've always said he sounds great now, but his voice was stronger in the 80s. Also, without going into a note by note dissection of each song, there's a pretty big difference between the highest note in, say, 2009's NLOTH and the highest note in a song like 1984's Pride or Bad. If that's hard to believe, use a piano and go through the notes.

Yeah and the vhs/tape recording from the 80s are now also worthless, beacuse the sound in those are poor.
:

Not sure what you are referring to but I have probably a thousand bootlegs from all eras and home shot vhs' don't even sound that bad.

Its like saying "the robery in the local store was filmed with a vhs camera, you cant go on that in court.

Well no, it's not, but if one were to bring a vhs video of similarly poor quality to court and try to submit it as evidence, the defense would have a field day with it. It would probably be ruled inadmissable.

Not sure what you are referring to but I have probably a thousand bootlegs from all eras and home shot vhs' don't even sound that bad.

Well no, it's not, but if one were to bring a vhs video of similarly poor quality to court and try to submit it as evidence, the defense would have a field day with it. It would probably be ruled inadmissable.

I honestly do not understand how these sound clips are lacking in quality.

Of course, they're not the pro shot Blue Ray DVD sound, but as far as amateur videos stuck up on youtube, I don't see them as better or worse by any significant margin.

Peterr rather reminds me of a Marxist historian, who continues to explain the French Revolution in class terms on the basis of selective evidence and in spite of most other historians reasonable intuitions. Nothing will stop them from repeating their arguments over and over again. In a depressing way, it is almost admirable. My approach is simple. I am not especially interested in the notes Bono hits or how he hits them. I am concerned simply with the sound of Bono's voice. On an optimistic note, Bono hasn't sounded this good since the early 90s; but I still think his early 90s voice sounded markedly better than any of its subsequent incarantions, even its current one. Back then, his lower register sounded great (he used it often too) , so did his falsetto. His ZOO TV voice sounded smooth, deep and rich- in other words he was crooning, in a way I have not consistently heard, since. Furthermore, his phrasing, which surely must be considered too, sounded more pleasing to my ears then than it does now.

I don't think Peterr is delusional, nor is he denying that pleasing to the ears is anything but the ultimate goal.

He has clips that show Bono's ability today, and they are simply compiled from already available sources. He's not writing his own version of the facts like say, a Marxist Historian.

He even expresses his preference for 1984-1986 Bono in many cases.

You express your preference for Zoo TV Bono.

I think all that is being hinted at here is that, he obviously sounded great in the 2 eras I mentioned above, and that he is sounding equally great now from a notes/technical/raw power perspective.

If one of us happens to enjoy the Zoo Falsetto or the 80s lower register more, than ok. No harm, no foul.

All Peterr is doing is pointing out the obvious, that Bono sounds more like 80s Bono than he is, well since the 80s. And he has picked up some new techniques and skills(opera) on the way.

I don't think we are all that far apart on this. He doesn't sound exactly the same, but he is miles better than Elevation and it is still clear the same person singing Bad in 1986 is singing it in 2006.

i'm not a fancy shmancy singer and all, but i do know two things...

1) i don't touch pre all that you can't leave behind U2 when doing drunken kareoke, 'cause my shitty voice can'd handle it.

2) if a guy who does boner in a u2 tribute band tells me that the newer songs are much easier to sing, i believe him.

2) if a guy who does boner in a u2 tribute band tells me that the newer songs are much easier to sing, i believe him.

no_wai.jpg

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom