Possible AB Remaster?...this year will be hot!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zoo Fly is the only live Fly that exists. I have no idea of this "Elevation Fly" or "Vertigo Fly" of which you people speak of. None at all. You're all craaaaaazy.

Zoo Fly is the only live Fly that exists. I have no idea of this "Elevation Fly" or "Vertigo Fly" of which you people speak of. None at all. You're all craaaaaazy.

For me track 7 on AB is the only version. Best song they've ever recorded imo.

For me track 7 on AB is the only version. Best song they've ever recorded imo.

Totally agree, i don't think they ever truly nailed it live. The elevation version was imo the closest they came to making it reach its potential (although it sounded far different to the studio mix), and i think the vertigo version was just awful.
I think the organ in the studio version is one of the best parts of the song, maybe that's why i don't like most live versions. But fingers crossed they 'reach the potential' with however they're playing it right now.

You don't like Elevation Tour The Fly?? Wow, I think that's the first time I've ever read anything you've written that i've disagreed with! :wink:

It’s certainly got, in isolation, some very ‘cool’ elements (and the intro and initial kick into the song are great), and I like how Bono gives the versus some oomph (vs Vertigo mumbling), but it’s too heavy and runs at a consistent level, rather then the more lightfooted and building chaos/madness nature of the original/Zoo versions, that really make the song and are what it’s all about really. They definitely, definitely don’t get it right on Vertigo either, but at least that goes more nutty and has the Edge/Bono interplay on the chorus.

I think the simple mistake they’re making is that they’re clearly trying to make it a heavier, harder, rawk rocker, when The Fly should fly, it shouldn’t be weighed down. The latter versions are more like The BlowFly, or something.

It’s certainly got, in isolation, some very ‘cool’ elements (and the intro and initial kick into the song are great), and I like how Bono gives the versus some oomph (vs Vertigo mumbling), but it’s too heavy and runs at a consistent level, rather then the more lightfooted and building chaos/madness nature of the original/Zoo versions, that really make the song and are what it’s all about really. They definitely, definitely don’t get it right on Vertigo either, but at least that goes more nutty and has the Edge/Bono interplay on the chorus.

I think the simple mistake they’re making is that they’re clearly trying to make it a heavier, harder rocker, when The Fly should fly, it shouldn’t be weighed down. The latter versions are more like The BlowFly, or something.

Boston DVD performance is probably my all-time favourite though I don't think there's been a bad one.

I think the solo makes it hard for them not to "weigh it down". It's quite an emotionally taxing solo, for lack of a much, much better phrase. I worked 11 hours today, give me a break.

Oh yeah, the Boston DVD is a great performance. Bono is fucking fantastic on that. Just talking about the arrangement/sound.

I think the simple mistake they’re making is that they’re clearly trying to make it a heavier, harder, rawk rocker, when The Fly should fly, it shouldn’t be weighed down. The latter versions are more like The BlowFly, or something.

Ok, now I agre!:up::wink:

The Vertigo version of the Fly is great. The other live versions didn't do much for me, but the studio version is probably their best rock song, and one of the best recordings ever.

I picked up the 12" last year and it sounds a lot better than the CD. I can't wait for the AB vinyl reissue. I just hope that they don't brickwall it, or change it at all, really. It's a prefect record with excellent production. Remastering a record for re-release on the same formats it was initially released on makes no sense. The remaster for Ride's "Nowhere" was terrible. No dynamics at all.

Totally agree, i don't think they ever truly nailed it live. The elevation version was imo the closest they came to making it reach its potential (although it sounded far different to the studio mix), and i think the vertigo version was just awful.
I think the organ in the studio version is one of the best parts of the song, maybe that's why i don't like most live versions. But fingers crossed they 'reach the potential' with however they're playing it right now.
I also think the studio version is the best one. Bono's vocals are a lot better than live. I like the way he almost whispers the verses.

Going back to what people were saying about them playing the album, the recent Bruce Springsteen "Darkness on the edge of town" boxset could be an ideal blueprint for the band to follow

Disc 1 - AB re-mastered
Disc 2 & 3 - outakes, remixes yada yada yada
disc 4 - AB the album live
Disc 5 - Pre zooropa filmed show

I for one would love to see the band playing the entire album in it's entirity just them on their own in a small theatre like Bruce and the band did with "Darkness"

Albeit whether the band want to and release a 5 disc special edition is another story.......

I actually think it would be hilarious if this documentary ends up showing them perform and talk through every single Achtung song except Acrobat. It doesn't even get a mention. You know the chances of Bono actually getting punched by one of his biggest fans in the days thereafter are suddenly really, really good. "I love you man, no hard feelings, but this is from ALL of us..."

Bono and Edge did talk about Acrobat once in that interview with Dave Stewart.

It would be cool if they compiled the best performances from 1992, but if they did it now it would just be weird. Bono can't sing them as well, and they are a different band now. I hope they release the MTV thanksgiving special from 1992. It was really cool.

Speaking of Springsteen, I just heard Nebraska for the first time... wow, what a record.

I call BS, but if this is legit whoever remastered it should be fired. This isn't the same remastering that we've heard on JT or UF.

A quick listen to The Fly and Zoo Station and a visual look at the wav files compared to the original in a recording program shows NO difference.

I call BS, but if this is legit whoever remastered it should be fired. This isn't the same remastering that we've heard on JT or UF.

A quick listen to The Fly and Zoo Station and a visual look at the wav files compared to the original in a recording program shows NO difference.

I kind of figured that would be so. I'm not gonna open that link. I know with the previous remasters you probably couldn't hear a whole lot of a difference but do those files sound very much like the original version?

I can't tell the difference between the original JT cd and the remaster, save for One Tree Hill's coda being in the right place and Exit being just slightly louder.

I can't tell the difference between the original JT cd and the remaster, save for One Tree Hill's coda being in the right place and Exit being just slightly louder.

Have you ever listened to it on headphones(not compressed to an mp3 player, or a higher end system?

The change to Exit was obvious and very much needed and I expect AB to have a few of those types of changes as well along with an overall cleanup. I still expect it to sound somewhat murky but with some crisper definition of certain layers.

Then you need a better sound system. :wink:

On the tracks the instruments are much better separated, cleaner if you will. It's very audible if you have good speakers or as BVS said use headphones.

You guys are arguing about which is the better Fly version, but what would be more interesting is: Was anyone in Winnipeg to hear which version they pulled out??? There are no sources on this. I thought we've covered the entire universe w/ forum members and yet in Winnipeg we're missing a source? :ohmy:

I hope it's out in September/early October. I wonder how much they filmed for the documentary. BTW it's great that they filmed a modern documentary to put on this as opposed to one from when the album was released. They are going to go all out with this one. I've wondered if they possibly went back and recorded any songs that they wrote but never recorded, or something like that. So many possibilities.

I hope it's out in September/early October. I wonder how much they filmed for the documentary. BTW it's great that they filmed a modern documentary to put on this as opposed to one from when the album was released. They are going to go all out with this one. I've wondered if they possibly went back and recorded any songs that they wrote but never recorded, or something like that. So many possibilities.

That would be cool, there are plenty of demos from that time out there and I know they recorded/released some new stuff for the JT and UF remasters.

The bigs ones have all had one "new" recording that sorta acted like a single for that release. I doubt AB wouldn't be any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom