Pop themes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
?? The live version of Bad only became one of their most iconic works. A Sort Of Homecoming also killed back when they were still playing it.

Also, Lemon was BRILLIANT on the final legs of the Zoo-TV tour, and Dirty Day was a much more raucous affair than on the record, as was Daddy's Gonna Pay.

Bad and Pride are good. The rest they can do without live...

:shrug: Stay and Dirty day were good. The rest of Zooropa didn't do much for me live.

yeah, and then it switches to power chords at the chorus for mother, mother fucking rock and roll... and the 747 guitar sound comes in prior to the bridge, too.

I would kill to hear more of the rehearsal than that clip.

Actually, I would kill for U2 to just play Mofo live again.

they certainly rehearsed it plenty during the 3rd leg. as blue room said, had they done stadiums, they would have done a pop encore.

i'm also highly certain that originally when they were rehearsing all the pop stuff (mid sept-early oct) they were planning to do Discotheque-Velvet Dress-WOWY during that run of 5 shows at MSG in oct., but that never materialized. then the focus i believe shifted to a pop encore for a possible stadium leg, but that didn't happen, either.

Hot damn. I'm not a big Mofo fan, but that rehearsal clip is insane. They need to play that version in that fashion.

Wow. Not bad. MOFO that doesn't sound like MOFO, nor anything remotely like anything on Pop. Now that's something I can get behind. Guess they finally had time to "finish" it. :lol: If only this version had ended up on the record.

(sigh)

Wow. Not bad. MOFO that doesn't sound like MOFO, nor anything remotely like anything on Pop. Now that's something I can get behind. Guess they finally had time to "finish" it. If only this version had ended up on the record.

(sigh)
Indeed. Plus if the Vertigo tour version of Discotheque made it on Pop, it would be a much better album.

they certainly rehearsed it plenty during the 3rd leg. as blue room said, had they done stadiums, they would have done a pop encore.

i'm also highly certain that originally when they were rehearsing all the pop stuff (mid sept-early oct) they were planning to do Discotheque-Velvet Dress-WOWY during that run of 5 shows at MSG in oct., but that never materialized. then the focus i believe shifted to a pop encore for a possible stadium leg, but that didn't happen, either.

Rumor has it that Edge did not think Discotheque worked with the Vertigo setlist. That is why it was ultimately dropped. Then they came up with the idea of the Popcore for the stadium tour that never happened. They were working a Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car also that was more of a bluesy approach.

Bono's exact words on the Vertigo version of Mofo "Kind of punk and hard rock approach with a little Keith Moon splashed in". :shrug: He also kept telling Edge to make the guitar more "hillbilly".

Haven't posted much in the forums lately, but I found it very coincidental when I saw this thread. I was never that much of a Pop fan when it came out and was probably one the albums by U2 I listened to the least. Kid you not, just last week, I decided to give Pop a spin and was absolutely blown away. Something just clicked and I "got it". Needless to say, my opinion of this album is much different than before and I consider it one of their best.

Haven't posted much in the forums lately, but I found it very coincidental when I saw this thread. I was never that much of a Pop fan when it came out and was probably one the albums by U2 I listened to the least. Kid you not, just last week, I decided to give Pop a spin and was absolutely blown away. Something just clicked and I "got it". Needless to say, my opinion of this album is much different than before and I consider it one of their best.

You mean you didn't listen to it once, decide you hated it, and never listen again? You mean your taste changed and grew over time?

Glad to hear you found another U2 album you like...good thing you gave it a second chance! (I gave Pop many chances and still don't care for it). :)

Interesting. What do you notice now that you didn't appreciate before?

I think at first, it sounded nothing like the U2 that I grew up with. I was so used to UF, JT, R&H and AB (even though I think AB varies greatly from the first three I mentioned). I got it for Christmas one year mainly to complete the collection and gave it a spin. Wasn't impressed at all at the time and the album began to collect dust. I listened to it again and it was like "there is something to this" and thus the rest is history.

It is funny to backread this thread. I do enjoy songs from ATYCLB and HTDAAB very much, just personal preference I guess. I look at it as an extremely unique snapshot in the band's history.

Really digging this message board by the way! :up:

I listened to it again and it was like "there is something to this" and thus the rest is history.

You still haven't explained what it is that you noticed that clicked with you this time around. Or was it just the general mood and feel of the album that was more appealing to you this time? Music can do that sometimes.

As for me, I have been a Pop fan from day one!... maybe cos I became a U2 fan only in the early to mid 90s.

I would think that embracing Pop would have been easier for fans who were introduced to the band through Achtung Baby. Do you think that was the case?

You still haven't explained what it is that you noticed that clicked with you this time around. Or was it just the general mood and feel of the album that was more appealing to you this time? Music can do that sometimes.

As for me, I have been a Pop fan from day one!... maybe cos I became a U2 fan only in the early to mid 90s.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It was the feel of the album that got me. It all started to make sense.....I could feel that the individual writing the lyrics (Bono) was really in a confined and confused space paving the way for a great overall album - trying to break through the emotional confusion, etc. (IMHO). At age 17 (when the album dropped), I had my mind set on something that was a lot closer to their previous releases (JT, AB, etc.) and got a distinct departure from that sound and also couldn't understand or interpret what was being said on the album at that time.

I would think that embracing Pop would have been easier for fans who were introduced to the band through Achtung Baby. Do you think that was the case?

You talking to me? Yea I do think so. I was introduced to the band thru' the Achtung singles on MTV at the time. :drool: :) I was steadily only following their singles and hits thru most of the 90s like... Numb, Lemon, Stay, Hold Me Thrill Me, Miss Sarajevo etc. Pop almost instantly appealed to me! although I do remember wondering WTF when I heard Miami for the first time. Loved Mofo on first listen though! I think only sometime in the mid to late 90s did I start buying the albums, starting with probably The Joshua Tree, then Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby.

I think this is very much the case. And not just fans they gained during AB, but also in the 00's with ATYCLB and Bomb. To people coming along then, Pop was just another record in U2's discography to discover...it didn't have all the weight, expectations and pre-conceptinos U2's 80's era fans came to Pop with.

Back
Top Bottom