Pop and ATYCLB vinyl reissues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are they definitely remastered or just reissues? It seems like it’s onky on vinyl as well. I’m curious if they will include any extras.

Are they definitely remastered or just reissues? It seems like it’s onky on vinyl as well. I’m curious if they will include any extras.

Could just be reissues. Pop and atyclb is virtually impossible to get hold of on vinyl. The original recordings are very small in number. They go for hundreds on discogs and eBay

How to dismantle an atomic bomb hasn't long been reissued on vinyl so I'm presuming the pop and atyclb reissues will be the same as that

Preorders are up at u2’s website.

There’s a gaping hole in my U2 vinyl collection now finally I can fill that gaping hole.

Canadians,

There is a preorder available at MusicVaultz. All 3 for $90.57 CDN before taxes (plus free shipping over orders of $50). Better than the US pricing off of the U2 site (also, they'll charge shipping and you might get duty fees at border)

As far as mastering goes, I don't know if it relates or not, but iTunes lists All That... and Pop as being "Mastered for iTunes." So, someone has cleaned it up digitally at least.

Can we consider this as a proof that U2 finally acknowledged the existance of Pop? You know, it still can be their management move that the band is unaware of... ;)

Can we consider this as a proof that U2 finally acknowledged the existance of Pop? You know, it still can be their management move that the band is unaware of... ;)

Wait until to the tour to see if we hear any pop songs[emoji2] I'd say it's very very unlikely

Watch them include the "New Mixes" of Gone, Numb, and Discotheque instead of the originals.
I wouldn't mind having an official orchestrated version of SatS (similar to their performance at the Clinton Library), but yeah... for the most part, those new mixes are vastly inferior to the originals (Numb and Discotheque being the biggest offenders)

According to the story from U2.com, they are remastered:

"Remastered and pressed on 180gsm vinyl, each reissue includes a download card and faithful reproduction of original artwork and will be released on the 13th April but you can pre-order now."

U2 > News > On Vinyl

This is good news! After all these years, ATYCLB and HTDAAB were the only vinyls missing in my collection, so now I can finally get the former. :D

Just watched the discoteque video. Couldn't get through it. The riff is pretty good, but the video reminds me that this was the beginning of the end. It did not age well imo. They look like they are trying way too hard to fit into an uncomfortable time for the band. Way too many crotch shots of bono. Ugh... I was hoping for a pleasant surprise, instead I got crotched.

So will this make the prices of the originals on eBay go up or down?

I’m curious about this too. I would guess that that drop might be very minimal, but only if the quality on the remasters is such that it is so noticeably improved.
There will always be a market for 1st prints in any physical medium. The power of a keepsake.

Just watched the discoteque video. Couldn't get through it. The riff is pretty good, but the video reminds me that this was the beginning of the end. It did not age well imo. They look like they are trying way too hard to fit into an uncomfortable time for the band. Way too many crotch shots of bono. Ugh... I was hoping for a pleasant surprise, instead I got crotched.

I think it's the exact opposite: the video (and specially the song) aged very well - way better than many post Pop songs/videos - because U2 dared to go ahead with that sort of conceptual silly-ness and put them selves in a deliberate awkwardness, all wrapped in some of Stèphane Sednaoui's most interesting photography jobs in music videos.

I think it's the exact opposite: the video (and specially the song) aged very well - way better than many post Pop songs/videos - because U2 dared to go ahead with that sort of conceptual silly-ness and put them selves in a deliberate awkwardness, all wrapped in some of Stèphane Sednaoui's most interesting photography jobs in music videos.

Agreed, I think it's a brilliant video and a great song too.

Welp, if they screw it up at least I still have my overpaid-for-on-ebay original UK pressing. :reject:

Huh. Well I think the exact opposite. One of their stronger albums and is still very very strong. Especially after you get past the first three songs (although those are some of my favorites).

The whole glitz/glammy/pop star whore was the entire joke. It was supposed to be stupid and over the top. The entire thing was ironic and a commentary on how retail our culture had become (years before it was a cool commentary to make).

Did you just watch it for the first time? Yeah, it's kind of a surprise after watching their other videos. I watched the PopMart DVD recently and still get some secondhand embarrassment from it. The tour didn't age well, but some songs from Pop are amazing deserve a second chance. Too bad they got buried under that ridiculous tour. It really is cringeworthy. I hope enough time has passed that the band really is ready to play some of those songs again.

The whole glitz/glammy/pop star whore was the entire joke. It was supposed to be stupid and over the top. The entire thing was ironic and a commentary on how retail our culture had become (years before it was a cool commentary to make).

You're right, but the unfortunate part is that most of the time U2 came across like they really were trying to be cool. The humor and irony didn't come through very well and the whole concept was a little before its time. Oh well. Who knows what they would have done next if it had been massively popular? The same question applies to Rattle and Hum; I've often wondered how far down that road they would have gone if it had done better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom