Pop 25th Anniversary Thread... What do you want? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Pop 25th Anniversary Thread... What do you want?

3rd march 1997 was the release date for this stone cold classic, meaning we're only 9 weeks away from its 25th birthday

Like Zooropa, I think Pop is one of my favourite U2 albums, despite it not being widely regarded as being one of their best albums. I love that whole period from Achtung Baby to Pop ( including Passengers), where they were at the absolute peak of their powers onstage and in the studio.

We all know the stories about booking the tour before the album was finished (did we recently learn that decision was down to Edge or did we always know that)... how the band don't seem to acknowledge either actually happened... just how "onboard" was Larry with the Discotheque view?

We know they've tinkered with some songs for the 1990-2000 Best Of as well as the single releases and of course how the tour got off to a very rough start in Las Vegas, but Pop Mart is still one of my favourite tours with an amazing opening which comes second only to the Zoo TV ones.

So what does everyone want from the 25th anniversary re-release (which I think is a stick-on given the ongoing pandemic and where U2 seem to be in the recording process at the moment)?

And what does everyone think we'll get?

Will it be a half-assed reissue of the original album plus some b-sides and the inevitable remixes, or will there be an opening of the U2 vault to let us see some of the early/alternate versions which we know exist?

There were also sessions without Larry due to his injury, so could there be anything from those that the band would see fit to release? Or will those be considered too unfinished?

One thing I noticed with the recent AB anniversary was that I'd pretty much heard all the stories and soundbites about that album before. There were some nice articles and shows like the Jo Whiley one, but so much has been said and written about how that album came together that I didn't learn anything. It would be good to see Pop getting a proper deep dive from some journalists and the band themselves.

ascender_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
Refugee

An interesting article from the time done by Sight & Sound which goes in to the production and recording of the album.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...ducing-u2s-pop

Old 12-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 06:57 PM
I’ve never cared for the Best Of versions, so if they go further down that road I would hope it’s supplemental, as opposed to “…a New, Definitive Pop!”

My ideal release would give us three versions;

- Pre-Pop - demos, Larry-less sessions, alternate versions

- Pop - remix it, remaster it, just don’t add anything to retcon the actual release

- Post-Pop - the rest

I don’t really remember any inspired remixes from the era, but I’ve never been much into the clubby mixes from any era.

I don’t think alternate Popmart shows are as enticing as getting those extra ZooTV shows we keep hoping for. Although it’s not regarded well, a super cut of Edge Karaoke could be fun.

The thing with Pop is that they could have a lot of fun with a reissue. IMHO U2 merch is generally terrible, but it was - also IMHO - at its peak with Popmart. The vibrant veneer hiding the inherent darkness of the album is so cool.

Anyway, I just had a thought that maybe the stripped down sessions that Adam has alluded to are… for acoustic Pop? I’d be intrigued. Skeptical, but intrigued.
pacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:10 PM   #4
War Child

Also, I’d like to replace the lemon shopping cart shirt I got at the Philly Popmart stop that DIDN’T have tour dates on the back. I may be wrong but I believe all of the reprints of that shirt have had dates and boy do I hate tour date shirts.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
Refugee

Looking at that article above, it would seem there were 3-6 months of Larry-less sessions and sessions where they were re-integrating him. Those sessions sound really interesting for fans like us, but I guess they would never see the light of day.

Of course, there's bits of early songs in the promo video that's been on YT for years.

You're right Pacemaker, there was some cool merchandise from that era - they really leaned in to it from the album design, tour staging, merchandise, tour programme etc.
Old 12-29-2021, 03:04 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:57 PM
One thing that is pretty cool to hear is the Woody Harrelson interview to Edge about Pop. Woody sounds like any of us talking Pop (fanboy) and we get some great info from Edge. Could've been longer but still good.

I hope they do something the 25th. It deserves a box set of some sort with all the B Sides and maybe a demo album (like AB 20th received). And there are quite a few pro shot shows taken around that time.

The concert from Mexico is remastered and looked awesome. Maybe release it on 4K.

We shall hope and see
zoopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 12:57 AM
I hope we'll get a superdeluxe version from this great album in cd/bluray with an unreleased popmartconcert. Extras like demos and alternate versions, or songs that didn't make the album.

We'll get nothing or a 'superdeluxe version' on streaming services with the same old stuff. And yes, Popmart Mexico for one day streaming on u2.com. Mayby some dull remixes from that era. And another vinylversion in rainbowcolours.

No confidence at all in their release-strategy. They care about money, not their fans anymore.
wolbersu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:42 PM   #8
Acrobat

I'd be pleasantly surprised by anything because I'm expecting nothing. Sorry to be the pessimist.

I have the POP guitar tab book and have been practicing these songs so much that I'm considering commemorating the 25th with a livestream of acoustic versions; just in a way that doesn't collect profit from it or get taken down immediately for infringement.

It's my favorite album of all time and I'd hate to see the anniversary pass with nothing more than an "On this day 25 years ago" social media post with link to listen to the album; which is what I'm thinking we'll get.
Rich79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:49 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:57 AM
After not releasing a vinyl box for AB that included a zootv show, and ATYCLB not having anything new and only having Boston, I am not overly optimistic this release will have anything interesting on it
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:58 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

An acknowledgement that Pop exists.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:40 PM   #11
45:33

Local Time: 10:57 AM
I'm expecting them to ignore it completely.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:41 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:57 PM
I’d love a good pressing of brightly colored vinyl.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:01 AM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I’d love a good pressing of brightly colored vinyl.

I have an original pressing and the orange reissue, and I am prepared to buy blue, red and green should they choose to give Adam, Larry and Edge’s cover colors a go.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:40 AM   #14
Refugee

No matter what they do, they ain't going to release video of any live shows not already out there. So that's Mexico City - I guess most people on here now have the "remastered" version from the YouTube virtual road thing this year.

I can only guess that their reason for this is the same thinking that stops them releasing any sort of unfinished/un-polished audio which I think is a shame.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:34 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 09:27 AM
March 3rd will go past without the slightest mention from the band. I doubt they even have much input into what gets posted on their social media anyway.
ChargedVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:41 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedVT View Post
March 3rd will go past without the slightest mention from the band. I doubt they even have much input into what gets posted on their social media anyway.
The official U2 Twitter and/or Instagram post on March 3 will simply say "Not today"
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:08 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:57 PM
They'll share only the Bono/Edge acoustic Staring at the Sun from the Popmart tour, with the caption "More of this kind of thing coming soon!"
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post
I don’t really remember any inspired remixes from the era, but I’ve never been much into the clubby mixes from any era.

The Howie B. Remix of Discotheque is quite unique and definitely not your ordinary dance mix of a U2 song. The Mofo mixes were nothing special. I remember hearing Miami thinking they would remix the hell out of it. Lo and behold, I have yet to hear a remix of it. What do I know?
Nate Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:50 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Dogg View Post
The Howie B. Remix of Discotheque is quite unique and definitely not your ordinary dance mix of a U2 song. The Mofo mixes were nothing special. I remember hearing Miami thinking they would remix the hell out of it. Lo and behold, I have yet to hear a remix of it. What do I know?
One of the Disco remixes was like 10 minutes long and I used to play it all the time.
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:33 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Miami was better in live format.

david is offline   Reply With Quote